Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 7, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #116,116 of 150,820
Some of us had "Walls of Woofers" in the late 90's to sell Rockford Fosgate gear.

It was a great gimmick... But it became a great solution when a movie 🍿 production blocked our front door while filming at the cafe next door 🚪

Oddly enough, the movie 🍿 never came out... 😂

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #116,117 of 150,820
First post and introduction

I've been following this thread for several years after hearing about Schiit.

My first piece was a Modi 3 which after hearing about all the positive reviews I tried it on one of my Sonos connects. It made a positive and noticeable difference in the sound quality. Needless to say I no longer have Sonos for multi room audio. It's now Roon with Raspberry Pi's and various versions of the Modi 3, 3+, Modius and Bifrost 2/64. Some day a Yggy OG.

Over the years my systems have all been over taken by Schiit gear with the latest being a pair of Tyr's. Those replaced a pair of PS Audio M700's connected to a Freya+ driving a pair of Amphion Argon 7LS's. The Tyr's brought more sonic texture particulaly in the low end. The PS Audio are a great sounding amp with similar soundstage width and height just more nuanced texture and a slight warmer sound. That could also be a speaker pairing but the Try's are my end game amp. Although I did need to re-enforce my equipment rack for the weight of the amps.

Where do I fit in the sign wave?
  • I prefer manual transmission cars
  • I listen to Vinyl, CD's and Streaming Qobuz
  • I enjoy Whiskey, Bourbon and Wine
  • Music tastes cover: Blues, Jazz, Rock with venture into anything that sounds good

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #116,118 of 150,820
I'm not! Glad I could just ask you or @FLTWS though! Used the Incvbvs with the new Julian Lage vinyl last night through ZMF Atrium running Melz, outstanding.
I kinda sorta explained the operation to original owners, I think. :ksc75smile: Maybe I should have worked with @bcowen on the technical things. The on and off switch and volume up and down, yep that nearly covers it other than where to plug the headphones and the source signal in. :beerchug:

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #116,119 of 150,820
bcowen is a Cowboys fan? Explains so much...

Go Bears 🐻!
I have no concept what NFL team he follows lol, he is near Atlanta so I believe they have some kind of team there. The Falcones or some such. I am a Bears fan as well, I just needed something to say real quick. :beerchug: Now @Ripper2860 is a Cowboys fan for sure.

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #116,120 of 150,820
I kinda sorta explained the operation to original owners, I think. :ksc75smile: Maybe I should have worked with @bcowen on the technical things. The on and off switch and volume up and down, yep that nearly covers it other than where to plug the headphones and the source signal in. :beerchug:
@bcowen is an experienced audiophile, so he doesn't need instructions for that. I'm sure he has custom cables, or at least pigtails, so he can plug his source and head phones into either the front or the back of any amp. I think that's why he's so excited about those ZMF Atrium which accept Melz tubes.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #116,123 of 150,820
@bcowen is an experienced audiophile, so he doesn't need instructions for that. I'm sure he has custom cables, or at least pigtails, so he can plug his source and head phones into either the front or the back of any amp. I think that's why he's so excited about those ZMF Atrium which accept Melz tubes.
@bcowen may have senior memory lapses, hence the need for instructions.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #116,125 of 150,820
The 70s were only something that happened in history class to mess with those of us born in the 90s right? Unless people were on drugs they could not have come up all the good music that they claim came from that decade.

:grin:
Well, let's just say i tried my hardest.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #116,126 of 150,820
Spent another night with the Syn. The first night was more about the inital set-up and exploration of its capabilities. Last night, I was able to focus on fine tuning the channel balance and shaping. And wow, after getting this thing dialed in, all my open questions from the first night have been answered. What an experience.

Its kind of hard to explain the process of getting the channels properly balanced. The best I can say is it reminds me of getting a subwoofer properly matched to a 2-channel system. You spend all this time tweaking the crossover by fractions of a Hz and barely moving the volume dial up and down until all of a sudden, it locks in, and you know you've got it right. Pretty similar experience geting all the channels from the Syn balanced, but even then, this analogy breaks down because you know what a properly tuned subwoofer is supposed to sound like. No peaks or gaps in the response, and when you get it right, you really can't hear it until you turn of the sub off, and then you realize how much it was adding to the music. With the Syn, there really isn't a playbook for how its supposed to sound. You just keep tweaking settings until it seems right. And then you try the next song, and it still seems right. And then another, and another. It still sounds good, and you don't even notice it anymore. Until, you turn off the surround channels and realize how much it is adding to the music. Its really, really cool.

And just to try to paint a better picture of what music sounds like through the Syn, it is NOT anything like "All Channel Stereo" like you might find on most AVRs. You're not getting the same sounds pounded into your ears from all directions like the garbage compactor in Star Wars. Instead, the soundstage and imaging from the main 2 channels still exists just like it would without the surround channels. The center image is locked in a bit more and the surround channels are more of an ambient enhancer to the soundstage rather than something you're actively trying to listen to. This results in something that creates a sense of expansiveness in some tracks to others where you are completly enveloped in the wall of sound. My favorite song so far has been Deftones Change (In the House of Flies). The song intro gives that airy sense of expanse and then when the chorus hits, you just get surrounded by walls of guitar all while the original soundstage still exists up front. I listened to music for probably 2 hours total, and I'd say 90% of the songs I played ranged from sounding incredible to really good. But there are some songs where it doesn't work and it sounds overly dark and muddy and generally unpleasant. Its hard to pinpoint exactly why this happens because I tried to pick songs that i thought would cause this problem and they didnt. And some songs I was suprised when I got that effect. (As an aside, might be time to get a Lokius.) But, overall, music is really cool, and I can absolutely see myself choosing to listen to surround instead of 2 channel for dedicated sessions. Not that this replaces 2 channel. Its just another option. Kind of like choosing between headphones or stereo. Now you get to choose between headphones, stereo, or surround.

Once I got everything balanced, I went back to try gaming again. And everything was solved. Any immersion-breaking or not being sure if what I was hearing matched what I was seeing, no longer existed with the channels balanced. And it makes sense. Similar to music, all the imaging from playing in 2 channel stereo still exists, but with the extra sense of ambience in the surroud channels. And there was one moment that stood out. A sniper from the other team missed me high and left from the front. And i heard that bullet track from the front left of my office to the back left. It was awesome.

Another long post from me, but I'll end with something I hope some of you can appreciate. At one point, I walked out of my office and I must have been smiling ear-to-ear and my wife asked me "What (are you grinning about)?" I told her "You know how I ripped out the surround from the office last month? Well this company I really like released this new thing... yada yada yada" And by the end of my explanation she could obviously sense my overwhelming satisfaction and gave me the most geniune "Well, I'm really happy for you, dear." that a wife could possibly give for something she absolutely couldn't care less about. So thank you, Jason, for bringing that kind of joy into my home.

I still have barely touched the headphone output, other than to verify that it works. Hope to dig into that this weekend.
Enter the Wayback...

Does anyone remember the old adventures with depth, image, spacial placement and all that non-industry standard “surround” stuff? A lot of the standards hadn’t been imagined yet.

There was the Apt Holman preamp, which had controls to shape the soundstage with its “Mode Stereo” control. Toying with that control could put sounds well outside the speaker field. Useful? Probably not, but intriguing in the day. Tom Holman went on to help develop one of the more advanced and “standard” ways of shaping sound, namely the Lucasfilm's THX. He also developed the world's first 10.2 sound system. (That’s a lot of Rekkrs and Gjallarhorns!)

The Carver 4-4000 and C-1 Sonic Holography preamplifiers were other sonic chameleons, playing with time delay and that Sonic Hologram Generator to make the sound do unusual, and sometimes even pleasant, things.

I haven’t studied their technical history to figure out what they were doing back then, and neither have I studied the Syn. I’m curious if the same sonic wizardry – and playful imagination – is employed by the Shiit crew. No bone to pick, and no strong opinion. I’m just curious who remembers and what they think.

Cheers! (You should have heard my voice coming over your left shoulder...)

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #116,128 of 150,820
Once again, it's green - not blue. :rolling_eyes:
… quit the blabber, we know that it is not this:
B43CFC4B-CF0D-4D52-B781-C144CE2E3A3D.jpeg

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #116,129 of 150,820
First post and introduction

I've been following this thread for several years after hearing about Schiit.

My first piece was a Modi 3 which after hearing about all the positive reviews I tried it on one of my Sonos connects. It made a positive and noticeable difference in the sound quality. Needless to say I no longer have Sonos for multi room audio. It's now Roon with Raspberry Pi's and various versions of the Modi 3, 3+, Modius and Bifrost 2/64. Some day a Yggy OG.

Over the years my systems have all been over taken by Schiit gear with the latest being a pair of Tyr's. Those replaced a pair of PS Audio M700's connected to a Freya+ driving a pair of Amphion Argon 7LS's. The Tyr's brought more sonic texture particulaly in the low end. The PS Audio are a great sounding amp with similar soundstage width and height just more nuanced texture and a slight warmer sound. That could also be a speaker pairing but the Try's are my end game amp. Although I did need to re-enforce my equipment rack for the weight of the amps.

Where do I fit in the sign wave?
  • I prefer manual transmission cars
  • I listen to Vinyl, CD's and Streaming Qobuz
  • I enjoy Whiskey, Bourbon and Wine
  • Music tastes cover: Blues, Jazz, Rock with venture into anything that sounds good
Great first post... you have covered all the bases... except a cat pic...

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #116,130 of 150,820
A humble request: out of respect for our extraordinarily gracious host and muse, I wish people would not promote competitive products. Its rude, especially since Jason does not comment on competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back