Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #115,201 of 150,788
Getting back to Syn, I'm not interested in having more loudspeakers than stereo. But I am interested in the Schiit take on crossfeed!

However, not so interested that I cannot wait a year or two in hope of a cheaper, smaller, line-level only no DAC no amp no remote headphone only deal.

Hel yeah! I experimented with making my own with surround sound in the late 80's then I tried some Sony ES nonsense that totally hosed my sound before moving back to 2 channel for good. But I would love a proper crossfeed solution from Schiit. I will be checking to see how people like the SYN and might have to try it myself just for the crossfeed.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #115,202 of 150,788
Analog matrix surround sounds considerably better than digital multi-channel surround does. It creates a cleaner, much more organic surround image.
As someone who's enjoyed matrix surround specifically for music (starting with a Fosgate processor, and then going through multiple generations of Lexicons until Harman killed it), I'd say it's different than discrete multichannel recordings. What Jason is offering here is a way to make your 2-channel recordings better (yes, better if they're recorded in a way that supports the L-R ambience extraction). Modern discrete multichannel music recordings are not that common, and it takes a considerable amount of effort to play them back without being locked into one (usually weird) device: look at Kal Rubinson's articles in Stereophile to see what he has to do for his multichannel setup.

So just like the Megacomboburrito is meant for and improves your old 44.1 kHz recordings, so too Syn is meant for and improves your 2-channel recordings, and I'm guessing most people have way more 2-channel recordings than multichannel SACD or DVD-A.

And I think in this discussion, we have to be very clear in distinguishing between matrix surround, which is derived from 2 channels (or 5 as some of the later fancy digital algorithms do) vs. discrete surround where a mixing engineer has already placed content into a particular channel, and you wouldn't use Syn for those recordings. As another aside, some of those discrete multichannel recordings are pretty terrible, so it's not a given that the mixing engineer's choice is the right one for a particular listener. But there are also spectacular multichannel recordings that no matrix decoder can ever match.

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #115,203 of 150,788
Keep in mind, Toslink is digital. You run it into the Ragnarok, it would have to have a DAC in it. I don't know about real estate, what you got physically located where, but If you've already got an Yggy, how about running the TV into it, then run the Yggy into something like a Saga S with two pre-outs. One pre-out to your headphone amp, the other into something like a stereo VIDAR 2? (If you wanted monoblocks, you could use a Freya + instead of the Saga S) With Yggy you've got options. (Feed headphone amp and feed Saga/Freya .... )

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/images/saga s back 1920.jpg
Your suggestion is what I will likely end up doing, but I was only wondering if Schiit could offer an alternative variation of USB DAC modules that you can currently get for the Ragnarok and Freyas that would match the one they included in the Syn (USB + optical). But you're right, there is a very simple workaround, I was just looking for a way to avoid turning on the Yggy and swtiching inputs on it when I just want to watch TV. I admit I'm lazy. I'd also have to run a 20' toslink across the room from the TV to the Yggy, but that's just a function of my weird room setup. There will already be a long XLR from the Yggy back to the preamp for music, so it's just another wire. The Ragnarok would sit on a shelf right under the TV, adjacent to the amp(s), so it's also just neater with a short optical cable into the preamp.

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #115,205 of 150,788
Your suggestion is what I will likely end up doing, but I was only wondering if Schiit could offer an alternative variation of USB DAC modules that you can currently get for the Ragnarok and Freyas that would match the one they included in the Syn (USB + optical). But you're right, there is a very simple workaround, I was just looking for a way to avoid turning on the Yggy and swtiching inputs on it when I just want to watch TV. I admit I'm lazy. I'd also have to run a 20' toslink across the room from the TV to the Yggy, but that's just a function of my weird room setup. There will already be a long XLR from the Yggy back to the preamp for music, so it's just another wire. The Ragnarok would sit on a shelf right under the TV, adjacent to the amp(s), so it's also just neater with a short optical cable into the preamp.

If you just want it for TV, then I think someone already mentioned, Modi + into whatever integrated or pre-amp you end up choosing. Your speaker choice will influence what amp(s) you partner with. Good Luck. Take your time! :beyersmile:

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #115,208 of 150,788
I think Syn would be a good solution for a simple 3.1 setup, and that wouldn't require having any exposed wires outside the equipment area. I prefer 3.1 for TV viewing to anchor the dialog to the TV for viewing outside the sweet spot.
I do have a sound bar that might work as a center channel. But what I really need is Syn Lite without the DAC 🤣

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #115,209 of 150,788
As someone who's enjoyed matrix surround specifically for music (starting with a Fosgate processor, and then going through multiple generations of Lexicons until Harman killed it), I'd say it's different than discrete multichannel recordings. What Jason is offering here is a way to make your 2-channel recordings better (yes, better if they're recorded in a way that supports the L-R ambience extraction). Modern discrete multichannel music recordings are not that common, and it takes a considerable amount of effort to play them back without being locked into one (usually weird) device: look at Kal Rubinson's articles in Stereophile to see what he has to do for his multichannel setup.

So just like the Megacomboburrito is meant for and improves your old 44.1 kHz recordings, so too Syn is meant for and improves your 2-channel recordings, and I'm guessing most people have way more 2-channel recordings than multichannel SACD or DVD-A.

And I think in this discussion, we have to be very clear in distinguishing between matrix surround, which is derived from 2 channels (or 5 as some of the later fancy digital algorithms do) vs. discrete surround where a mixing engineer has already placed content into a particular channel, and you wouldn't use Syn for those recordings. As another aside, some of those discrete multichannel recordings are pretty terrible, so it's not a given that the mixing engineer's choice is the right one for a particular listener. But there are also spectacular multichannel recordings that no matrix decoder can ever match.
Yeah, I also think part of what makes 5.1 mixes sound their best is not compressing them before they get to the surround processor, say via AAC over spdif. I have a media center PC with "retasking" abilities on the built-in audio ins/outs, so I can play back each lossless track on its own output. I've had people come over and be blown away by the sound. But like you say, it has to be the right recording. Queen's "The Game" is pretty solid.

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #115,210 of 150,788
Strange... he raves about everything else he reviews... was a payment missed?

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #115,211 of 150,788
Does SYN work for only-head-fi users?(Rarely use speakers) I mostly play games, watch movies, and watch Blu-ray concerts!
I'm actually very curious about the crossfeed feature XD

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #115,212 of 150,788
Syn is the device I always wanted for my gaming PC rig!

I've had a surround sound setup on my PC for over 20 years. But to get excellent surround sound out of my PC, it's always hit or miss. It depends heavily on whether the game was coded with any type of surround codec, and which one, or if it uses some virtual surround, and which one, and whether it plays nice with Dolby ProLogic, Dolby Digital, or the virtual surround modes built into the receiver. It can cause a lot of sounds (center channel vocals especially) to come through muffled or not at all, if the settings aren't right, and sometimes it better to just turn all the processing off and run it as a 2.1 channel setup. In fact, I've literally been contemplating getting rid of it all and moving to a bookshelf monitor setup. It would be a sad day in my computer gaming hobby.

My PC currently connects to a Yamaha RX-V385 via optical S/PDIF, running a 5.1 setup with venerable Klipsch Quintet 3s and a Velodyne VRP-1000 sub. I'm going to ditch the Yamaha and pick up an Emotiva BasX 5A to use with the Syn.

This is going to be amazing. My hope for mankind's surround sound PC gaming future is renewed.

Thank you Jason! Sir!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back