Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #115,096 of 150,478
I'll do some additional searching at some point but I really have two things that I want. 1) A center channel only. No surrounds. No atmos. Just a center speaker to bring about an axial independent center image for TV/movies. 2) the ability to use my already good DAC and an amp of my choosing.
It also says that Syn is "appointed in defense" at things "in legal matters in which she wishes to refute".

So Syn must be a digital surround-sound decoder/processor. By way of HDMI, of course. Mike has finally returned to his work on surround sound technologies to finally bring balance against the oppressive tendencies of Dolby, DTS and others.
Some kind of digital device that takes a stereo digital signal and produces a combined (center) signal for a center speaker for use with TV/Movies and potentially music. Sure would be nice not having to buy an overpriced Dolby AVR with 11 channels that I don't need and an obsolescence of about 2.5 years.
My cosmic antennae must have been on hyper-drive this week. Close enough right? Do I win a prize? If not at least that sweet, sweet internet karma?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #115,097 of 150,478
ASIDE: you don't have to replace your receiver if it has 5.1 input... just plug in the rca outputs from Syn...
Good point! This is going to make AVRs that are obsolete from a video standard but competent from an audio one quite a good pairing. And those receivers are probably the best deal in used audio.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #115,101 of 150,478
Well Schiit. I went deaf yesterday, while at work...! My Bimby OG stopped reading from it's USB input. Power cycling didn't help, a PC reboot did no good, swapping USB jacks; nope. So, I had to resort to the use of on-board PC sound...! Yuck. No bandwidth, very opaque, and closed in, plus no dynamics. 😞

Today, as a test, I brought in my Modi3 (AKM). I hooked it up, using the same USB cable and connection, and got sound...! Much better. But, I guess that means my Bimby Gen 5 USB card is dead. I guess an upgrade to Unison is finally warranted? Until then, I'll use my Eitr, to provide a coax digital input to the Bimby. There's always a way...! 😁

Eitr has my Bimby up and running again. But Eitr, through a coax digital input, seems to sound far better than the direct Gen 5 USB connection, in the Bifrost...? More open and clean. A better sense or air and space in a recording. Steve Roach is sounding very ethereal. Again, I guess a Unison upgrade is next...! :D

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #115,102 of 150,478
Hahaha, mannnn, what timing. My wife just said I can’t do anymore 3 digit headphone hobby purchases this year. I’d love to purchase a Syn and use that! If I understand everything I read here about it, it would have no issue running my HE6se headphones. The used Lyr 2 is doing that too, I need new tubes though. I’m getting buzzing that I’ve been running tests to try and narrow down the cause of. I have a cheater plug that should arrive today but I think the issue is the used tubes. :)

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #115,104 of 150,478
Head-Fi website is slowing down for Speaker Amps ......

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #115,106 of 150,478
Could be another upgrade of speaker amp like Vidar 2?

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #115,107 of 150,478
By the way, we'll have a full Syn surround setup at the Schiitrless Meet this afternoon...with Rekkrs. Yes, in a noisy brewery. Yes, it will work fine. Less power, more better! With surround set free.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #115,108 of 150,478
Here’s a good option.

Outlaw Audio
Yep, I have the 7 channel version and can vouch for the quality of this line. I use it very happily for both 2ch (bi-amp'd) and 5.1. My LR speakers tend to be very power hungry and with the Outlaw they are sounding their best ever.

Syn looks amazing but I kind of took the plunge into balanced, to use with the Outlaw. Hoping there's a balanced Synius on the way 🙂

Edit: Syn Max?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #115,109 of 150,478
Not in the very near future probably, but somewhat near, we should not be surprised if VR, complete with head-tracking headphone-based pinpoint anywhere surround sound - is what the make-sure-you-need-to-upgrade part of the industry will move on to.
Good luck with that.

Will such a thing come to market at some point soon-adjacent?
Yes.
But I'll be damned if it actually catches on.

Any company that actually believes that VR is the future for general media consumption clearly doesn't understand how the vast majority of people prefer to consume their media.

IMAX, 3D TV sets, VR goggles — they've all been around for decades, yet they've never been more than just a niche product. And the reason for that sure as hell isn't price, complexity, or the lack of content.

Will Facebook, Apple, et alia, eventually release the headsets they're working on as I type this? Of course they will. But I'm happy to go on record and say that they won't replace anything. They will find their niche market of enthusiast users, most of all "serious" gamers and movie buffs. But you'll never see these things fully replace a simple 2D flatscreen TV and cheapo sound bar in peoples' dens and living rooms. Because that's just not how your average person consumes media.

And yes, I'm deliberately being absolutist on this front—because this topic really is that black and white.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #115,110 of 150,478
Good luck with that.

Will such a thing come to market at some point soon-adjacent?
Yes.
But I'll be damned if it actually catches on.

Any company that actually believes that VR is the future for general media consumption clearly doesn't understand how the vast majority of people prefer to consume their media.

IMAX, 3D TV sets, VR goggles — they've all been around for decades, yet they've never been more than just a niche product. And the reason for that sure as hell isn't price, complexity, or the lack of content.

Will Facebook, Apple, et alia, eventually release the headsets they're working on as I type this? Of course they will. But I'm happy to go on record and say that they won't replace anything. They will find their niche market of enthusiast users, most of all "serious" gamers and movie buffs. But you'll never see these things fully replace a simple 2D flatscreen TV and cheapo sound bar in peoples' dens and living rooms. Because that's just not how your average person consumes media.

And yes, I'm deliberately being absolutist on this front—because this topic really is that black and white.
VR?

Yeah, we were one of the companies that did work in Second Life back in the day. Did big work. Got an article in MIT Tech Review.

Everyone who thinks VR/AR is the future needs to learn from the lessons back in 2005-2008.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back