Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #114,511 of 150,791
Push-pull versus single-end <====> couple versus self … 😳🫢🤣

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #114,513 of 150,791
But if you already have HEOS, why invest in a secondary (tertiary?) system? My Mac AirPlays to my Denon seamlessly, right down to turning it on and selecting the correct input.
Because Roon is my main hub, I personally don’t use either anymore frequently. I have Roon endpoints on all my systems. Airplay and Roon decent, but glitchy compared to RAAT for me.

I’ve set up Sonos systems for friends and family. I have a Sonos Roam that I really like since it doesn’t need to be tethered to my phone or anything for that matter. It’s easy.

The HEOS amp I bought on a whim to see what it was all about. I think it’s fine, but the app wasn’t as polished. I could see building a great system around HEOS. But, Sonos dominates the market.

I like to dabble in technology to see what sticks for me. Roon too was a whim that I never regretted.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #114,515 of 150,791
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #114,517 of 150,791
I’m still thinking it’s a D/S DAC with Schiit’s own custom chip and a version of MultiComboBurrito filter. However, considering the projected price and the fact that people may get annoyed by it, it could have some features that kind of cannibalize some of Schiit’s current products. Perhaps something like DSP-based multi-band equalization.

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #114,518 of 150,791
Because Roon is my main hub, .... I have Roon endpoints on all my systems. Airplay and Roon decent, but glitchy compared to RAAT for me.

.... Roon too was a whim that I never regretted.
Once Roon started doing classical correctly it was a no-brainer for me. As we speak I am ripping this boxed set of 60 CDs. https://www.discogs.com/master/651851-Various-Living-Stereo-60-CD-Collection

For classical it used to take me a day just to do one CD because of all the flawed metadata. I started last night and I'm on CD 7.

@Daniel Johnston maybe you can help? These are wants:
  • one (or more) of @Paladin79 's radials (supply constrained :wink: and a
  • Roon-ready powered amp about the size of a Rekkr (just amp, roon does all the heavy lifting).
  • The Wiim is off the table (unsatisfactory experience with its predecessor Muzo Cobblestone).
I could press the Muzo back into service...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #114,520 of 150,791
Any news on the CD transport? I know it's almost a cliche to ask at this point, but for real tho. Anything?

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #114,521 of 150,791
Any news on the CD transport? I know it's almost a cliche to ask at this point, but for real tho. Anything?
Jason posted a photo a couple days ago.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #114,522 of 150,791
Recap: Lyr 2 I purchased used, the seller didn’t include packing material so I received it with broken switches…Seller refunded me full amount, I sent the amp to Schiit for repair.

Update: I received the Lyr 2 back from Schiit today. The repair cost to replace the power and gain switch was $30. After letting the amp warm up for 30 min, I tested it out and it appears to be in good working condition!

I subtracted the repair cost and the amount it cost me in shipping to/from Schiit, and then sent the difference back to the seller.

I purchased a used HE6se v2 (so knowing I wanted to be able to power a HE6se v2 is why I wanted to get a Lyr 2) and that headphone is supposed to arrive today too. The timing for them both to arrive is excellent! I still have to make sure the headphones are in good working order with no stuck drivers when I receive them. The seller seems like a nice person and has been very responsive. (Btw, another head-fi friend recommended a Lyr 2 to me because it works well for their HE6se)1679599486678.jpeg
I appreciate the update on your original post. On other forums I follow (e.g. vintage Mustangs), it is rare that a post describing a problem and asking for technical help ever gets updated by the OP to let others know if a solution was found and if so, what it was.

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #114,523 of 150,791
Once Roon started doing classical correctly it was a no-brainer for me. As we speak I am ripping this boxed set of 60 CDs. https://www.discogs.com/master/651851-Various-Living-Stereo-60-CD-Collection

For classical it used to take me a day just to do one CD because of all the flawed metadata. I started last night and I'm on CD 7.
What are you using to rip the 60 CD collection? Wrangling metadata for classical music is something of a nightmare, especially in a large compilation such as yours.

Could be worse. Could be a cornballer

Arrested Development is still my favorite sitcom.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #114,524 of 150,791
I’m still thinking it’s a D/S DAC with Schiit’s own custom chip and a version of MultiComboBurrito filter. However, considering the projected price and the fact that people may get annoyed by it, it could have some features that kind of cannibalize some of Schiit’s current products. Perhaps something like DSP-based multi-band equalization.
The question is what value will it add to the lineup to create an FGPA DS DAC? Maybe that's why "the gadget" is taking so long. The Multibit chip, filter, and the gadget may not work well at a sane price or packaging point.

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #114,525 of 150,791
The last timing update from Jason was June, maybe May. :smiley_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back