Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #114,286 of 155,191
Trying to tamp down my excitement about how good Mani 2 sounds, compared to my integrated’s onboard phono stage. Some of this is probably “shiny new toy syndrome,” but:

1) It’s louder. Clearly has more gain.
2) Shocked at the difference the MUCH lower noise floor makes.
3) Bass is much more controlled/tighter.
4) Soundstage is both wider and deeper, in a room set up that is far from ideal in terms of the compromises needed for speaker placement.

Gonna be listening to a lot of vinyl the next few days.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #114,289 of 155,191
Maybe "Loudness" should come back. Who can resist a button marked "Loudness?"

Confused? Look up the Fletcher-Munson curve.

Edit: no, not Syn.
That’s precisely why I picked the Loki given its broad spectrum 20Hz pot.

912F2BA5-1A38-464A-9C34-1B2CB894ECB9.jpeg

8044539A-C33F-4577-9EAF-CF82EE4C40C8.jpeg

@Jason Stoddard: I just hope there won’t be a Loki Mini ++ around the corner…

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #114,290 of 155,191
Is it just me, or is the CD upside down in the Urd? (Well, maybe right-side up for the Urd, but upside down compared to a 'typical' CD player.) :wink:
…. Australian CD …. 🤣

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #114,291 of 155,191
The entire cable debate is clearly bullshiit.

Well, at least it was until a slight rearrangement of my living room created the necessity for me to replace my speaker cables with ones that were slightly longer, and they just so happened to be one or two AWG steps chunkier, too.
The difference that change made in the lower mids and bass was surprising, to say the least.

So, I'm a little bit of a convert. At least when it comes to speaker cables.

I can't hear any appreciable difference between non-shoddy interconnects, though. That's why those Snake Oil Taipans will be as "dear" as I'll go with interconnects for the foreseeable future.

And power cords? I don't know. I share a hookup with 99 other units, so what comes out of my walls is so bad it's not even worth going beyond those mass-produced 25 cent plastic things they throw in with your Schiit. I would have to invest into a proper (and rather chunky, considering the Tyrs) power regenerator first before any upgrade in power cords would have so much as a chance to have any appreciable impact whatsoever.
Are you certain your slight rearrangement of your living room didn't alter the room modes in any way and contribute to the change?

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #114,292 of 155,191
What do you have against James Arness...? :grinning:🤣🤣:grinning:
In that version I believe one of the characters says, "I don't want to be killed by a giant carrot."

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #114,294 of 155,191
Urd is just so darn good that maybe it doesn't matter which side is up. :)
True, it uses those lasers from the recent fusion event. It can read those pits even edge on!

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #114,295 of 155,191
True, it uses those lasers from the recent fusion event. It can read those pits even edge on!
Great! Now I can retire the CD green markers! 👍🤣

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #114,296 of 155,191
since you're throwing schiit at the wall to see if anything sticks... how about an Einvanger.
The tubular solution to the expense of the Folkvanger for us poor folx subsisting on the g'ment social insecurity dole.
BTW, got any spare change?

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #114,297 of 155,191
Maybe "Loudness" should come back. Who can resist a button marked "Loudness?"

Confused? Look up the Fletcher-Munson curve.

Edit: no, not Syn.
Idle speculation concerning the yet to be released SYN. @JasonStoddard; If I guess correctly can I receive one for free? It was designed in the "skunk works" lab of Mike, Dave, Ivana and staff, so it’s a radical device, probably digital. What it supposedly is not; The Gadget, a loudness compensation device (that would be really cool), but it might get Jason murdered? (I would certainly hope the audio biz is not devolved that far into anarchy) and addresses what the audio industry has been doing wrong? It is has a MSRP of ~ $450 and will burn sacred cows? Could it be a transfer function modification device similar to what Bob Carver did decades ago? A sound field cross talk canceling device to mitigate the errors of stereo presentation (being able to widen or narrow the perceived stereo image), a dynamic range expander (the DBX devices did a reasonable job, also decades ago) I would hope that it is all three options but I am probably way off the mark. we shall see. @JasonStoddard, can you share what a black Urd looks like, please? My Yggy’s and Folkvanger’s have that color scheme. The Stream Unlimited transport for Urd is a normally oriented optical transport, no upside down Pioneer device here. The hyper; https://www.suos-hifi.com/ It is used in MUCH more expensive transports than Urd. Thank you folks for using it.

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #114,299 of 155,191
Syn.

DAC that downsamples all digital to 11.05/12, has a magnet off the side to affect tapes and, sits on top of TTs to randomly scratch vinyl. Also has a built in tube socket that does nothing other than burn the tube for shortened life.

There. All the sins.
I think you just described a cat? So Syn is a cat in a box?

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #114,300 of 155,191
Syn.

DAC that downsamples all digital to 11.05/12, has a magnet off the side to affect tapes and, sits on top of TTs to randomly scratch vinyl. Also has a built in tube socket that does nothing other than burn the tube for shortened life.

There. All the sins.
… but one; it adds 10dB of gain to Captain & Tennille … 😳😖😫

Users who are viewing this thread

Back