Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #113,987 of 152,857
The entire cable debate is clearly bullshiit.

Well, at least it was until a slight rearrangement of my living room created the necessity for me to replace my speaker cables with ones that were slightly longer, and they just so happened to be one or two AWG steps chunkier, too.
The difference that change made in the lower mids and bass was surprising, to say the least.

So, I'm a little bit of a convert. At least when it comes to speaker cables.

I can't hear any appreciable difference between non-shoddy interconnects, though. That's why those Snake Oil Taipans will be as "dear" as I'll go with interconnects for the foreseeable future.

And power cords? I don't know. I share a hookup with 99 other units, so what comes out of my walls is so bad it's not even worth going beyond those mass-produced 25 cent plastic things they throw in with your Schiit. I would have to invest into a proper (and rather chunky, considering the Tyrs) power regenerator first before any upgrade in power cords would have so much as a chance to have any appreciable impact whatsoever.
Big wire = moar power.... I always use 12 AWG for bass systems

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #113,988 of 152,857
Looking for legal opinions from legal and non legal minds.
A special request to ArmChairPhilosopher for a 150,000 word legal opinion.
Here is the question:
If a person rips a Compact Disc collection to a hard drive, and sells the compact disc collection, does that person legally own the files on the hard drive?
NOPE

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #113,989 of 152,857
I believe it was AC/DC who went after local college students for sharing their music through Napster. As I recall it was more about sharing than just having the music themselves. My wife was on staff and did not realize my daughter was using her internet access and making music available to others. Fortunately they just went after those sharing thousands of songs. The act of letting others hear the music free was the big issue as I recall.
I do not condone file sharing. I'll shamefully admit that I engaged in a fair amount of this during an earlier period of my life. Think post-Napster. LimeWire and early PirateBay days. First year in college I got an email from the administration. I was busted. They received a cease and desist from whoever owned the rights to whatever I was downloading. This was before VPNs were widespread. I was banned from the university internet and relegated to using the 'guest' internet access for the entirety of my time in college. I suppose I got what I deserved on that one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Again, I do not condone file-sharing. Support your local artists! I'm not proud of this but I'm willing to admit to it and laugh looking back.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #113,990 of 152,857
I'll reply as briefly as possible... No.

And I'll also repsond on behalf of ACP...

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
I normally don't appreciate if someone else speaks for me, but this time I will allow it. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Or in fewer words.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #113,991 of 152,857
I believe it was AC/DC who went after local college students for sharing their music through Napster. As I recall it was more about sharing than just having the music themselves. My wife was on staff and did not realize my daughter was using her internet access and making music available to others. Fortunately they just went after those sharing thousands of songs. The act of letting others hear the music free was the big issue as I recall.
How Music Got Free: A Story of Obsession and Invention was a great read

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #113,992 of 152,857
Looking for legal opinions from legal and non legal minds.
A special request to ArmChairPhilosopher for a 150,000 word legal opinion.
Here is the question:
If a person rips a Compact Disc collection to a hard drive, and sells the compact disc collection, does that person legally own the files on the hard drive?
Nope. Once the disc is gone, it’s the same as stealing. Which is why im glad I never sold any of my CDs and bought tons and tons of LPs.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #113,995 of 152,857

No, it was the other one.

b-bh-listing.png

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #113,996 of 152,857
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #113,997 of 152,857
Steve G. dropped this vid today. I must say it’s somewhat gratifying to have a ‘real’ reviewer reach the same conclusion I did when comparing these two amps.

I've gotta say, this review for some reason, makes me want a Schiit tube amp...! All tube would be great, though I'd be happy with a hybrid tube Class A/B SS amp. It wouldn't need huge power, but decent current delivery would be nice. Nexus and Continuity a given, balanced and brideable as well. The usual Schiit amp, but add tubes. I'd have to find money for that...! 😍😍

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #113,998 of 152,857
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #113,999 of 152,857
I've gotta say, this review for some reason, makes me want a Schiit tube amp...! All tube would be great, though I'd be happy with a hybrid tube Class A/B SS amp. It wouldn't need huge power, but decent current delivery would be nice. Nexus and Continuity a given, balanced and brideable as well. The usual Schiit amp, but add tubes. I'd have to find money for that...! 😍😍
The more I use my Gjallarhorn the more I love it. Currently have a Saga S in front of it (another great product!) but want to try a Saga + or maybe the Lyr.

As for a Schiit tube speaker amp, that would be logical, but which type? And what could Jason do to make his different from all the others?

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #114,000 of 152,857
Also worth mentioning that the Jot 2 has a physical "Preamp Switch" - so while the 1/4" and XLR balanced headphone outputs are always hot, the SE and Balanced preamp outputs are switched (small toggle on the front next to the volume pot)
That must drive Jotenheim owners nuts. Who looks for toggle switches on the front of Schiit components?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back