Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #113,957 of 150,898
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #113,958 of 150,898
Dumb question, on the amps that take dac and phono cards, will the pre outs allow the amp to be used as a source for a two channel system? I.e. if I plug the USB into a source, will an Asgard/Lyr work as a dac on the pre outs?
There are no stupid questions; yes, but the Lyr is headphone amp only - Asgard/Jotenheim will work as you described

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #113,960 of 150,898
Before NC I was in CA, so my wallet has already learned how to cope with constant assault.
Hear, hear! I love NorCal, but the prices are nuts.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #113,961 of 150,898
There are no stupid questions; yes, but the Lyr is headphone amp only - Asgard/Jotenheim will work as you described
Lyr + does have preamp out as well. So they all should work for 2 channel systems.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #113,962 of 150,898
Jotunheim works perfectly as a preamp, in my office system. It's an amazingly good one-box DAC/pre combo, with the True Multibit card installed.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #113,963 of 150,898
Only in Atlanta does Barney carry a Billy Club. :D
… that is bcowen’s putt line-up gauge … used after the fourth putt (during ‘automatic press’, no ‘gimmes’) … 😳🤣

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #113,965 of 150,898
I forgot, does the Jot 2 do the balanced in, Single End out thing like a Freya?
Jot 2 does both balanced in and out and single ended in and out.

Borrowed from the FAQ

“Input/output agnostic: connect it to anything, and take anything out. Connect to balanced and use the single-ended outputs…that’s perfectly fine. SE to balanced…also fine. SE to SE and balanced to balanced…fine again”

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #113,966 of 150,898

Borrowed from the FAQ

“Input/output agnostic: connect it to anything, and take anything out. Connect to balanced and use the single-ended outputs…that’s perfectly fine. SE to balanced…also fine. SE to SE and balanced to balanced…fine again”
Also worth mentioning that the Jot 2 has a physical "Preamp Switch" - so while the 1/4" and XLR balanced headphone outputs are always hot, the SE and Balanced preamp outputs are switched (small toggle on the front next to the volume pot)

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #113,967 of 150,898

Borrowed from the FAQ

Thanks, just making sure that didn't only apply to the headphone outputs

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #113,968 of 150,898
Thanks, just making sure that didn't only apply to the headphone outputs
There is a caution in the manual about using both headphone outputs at same time

“Can I use both headphone outputs
at the same time?
Yes, you can, but be careful—if one pair of headphones is very sensitive, and the other is not, you may damage the sensitive pair if you turn it up too loudly while listening to the other pair.”

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #113,969 of 150,898
Sad thing about these tests is that expectation bias always wins. Like the first-ish post says, "I didn't hear any difference, just like I expected."

open mind is a challenging thing to find. My life has been made difficult by my Zen mind, beginner's mind attitude so maybe that's the ticket!
I agree with you, @artur9 . Your post reminds me to be careful about my own personal biases. Auditory perception fascinates me. I’ll respect what people get out of the test. Definitely going to try it out… especially with my new toy from Audeze! :o2smile:

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #113,970 of 150,898
The entire cable debate is clearly bullshiit.

Well, at least it was until a slight rearrangement of my living room created the necessity for me to replace my speaker cables with ones that were slightly longer, and they just so happened to be one or two AWG steps chunkier, too.
The difference that change made in the lower mids and bass was surprising, to say the least.

So, I'm a little bit of a convert. At least when it comes to speaker cables.

I can't hear any appreciable difference between non-shoddy interconnects, though. That's why those Snake Oil Taipans will be as "dear" as I'll go with interconnects for the foreseeable future.

And power cords? I don't know. I share a hookup with 99 other units, so what comes out of my walls is so bad it's not even worth going beyond those mass-produced 25 cent plastic things they throw in with your Schiit. I would have to invest into a proper (and rather chunky, considering the Tyrs) power regenerator first before any upgrade in power cords would have so much as a chance to have any appreciable impact whatsoever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back