Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #113,866 of 150,446
I'm torn about upgrading my Gumby's USB as I'm trying to downsize...
Having upgraded mine I can assure you your Gungnir multi-bit will be exactly the same size.

I'm a new grandpa of a 5lb one month early preemie, so my $2.50 a day (and more) is allocated to spoiling her rotten for the foreseeable future.

Of course you could start a GoFundMe campaign on my behalf. I've seen much worse causes. 😀
She won't appreciate spoiling for a couple of years at least. True story: before our daughter's first birthday, I told everyone we should get her a couple of empty boxes and maybe a stick. She'd be all set. Instead, our daughter got several presents, including a little Fisher Price shopping cart for her first birthday. Once she tore the paper off the box and we got the shopping cart out she proceeded to play with

the box.

For two hours. Dad was right. After the box fell apart, though, we had a ball for several years (well after her little brother was born) loading a kid in the shopping cart and racing top speed around the house. Kind of like that old Stainmaster carpet commercial with that little kid in the walker...

Schiit's support is truly the worst.

A week or two ago, I received an Asgard 3 with a metallic noise in the left channel.
This morning I finally had the time to contact Schiit about the issue.
Half an hour later, at 6:45am no less, I received the first reply with some trouble shooting advice.
A few hours and two emails later, I had a paid-for-by-Schiit return label in my inbox with a replacement A3 ready to be sent my way the moment the faulty one has been dropped off.

I am a white male American elder millennial with German roots. As such, my genetic makeup requires me to feel overly entitled and to complain about everything and everything!
But once again, the people at Schiit refuse to give me an opportunity to exercise my self-given right to make a big fuss about nothing. 😒

The worst in the business, I tell you. The WORST! 😖
And I'd almost bet real money no one from Gen Z would understand the irony in how this post is written.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #113,867 of 150,446
My vinyl source for about 40 years. Currently with a Sumiko Blue Point which has been there for 25 years and still sounds new. Should tell that use is low so stuff lasts. I am still surprised that the cantilever rubber is still fine.
Like @bcowen said, that's a pretty sweet setup. It's nice to have something that's well built, and can still be serviced if needed.

I believe that your Sumiko BP was built by Excel Audio. Excel has a reputation for long lasting suspensions in their MC models.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #113,868 of 150,446
Like @bcowen said, that's a pretty sweet setup. It's nice to have something that's well built, and can still be serviced if needed.

I believe that your Sumiko BP was built by Excel Audio. Excel has a reputation for long lasting suspensions in their MC models.
Excel Audio? Isn't that a store? Its original box says Imported by Sumiko; I thought the cartridge was made in Japan.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #113,869 of 150,446
Most Atlanta residents are relocating to North Carolina to escape the congestion, government, and taxes of Atlanta. I relocated from the Orlando, FL area to South GA because of wife desires. Not a good move for many reasons, a good move for some. Enjoy!
Bill's never been one to follow the crowd. No matter how right they are. 😀

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #113,870 of 150,446
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #113,871 of 150,446
Just up the street from you, Sam. Apologies in advance. 🤣
XVr.gif

Schiitr was full!

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #113,872 of 150,446
Bill has gone to great lengths to find the best residential location in ATL. Just far enough so stray and ricocheting bullets will not reach and deviously located in a cul de sac to confound any potential drive-byers. 😏

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #113,874 of 150,446
Here's my honest advice to anyone who owns a Folkvangr:
Unplug the thing and put it on a shelve shelf.* No, seriously; put it somewhere out of sight and out of mind.

Then—two, three months later—put it back into rotation ……… and have your mind blown all over again just as it did the first time you listened to it.

I said it before and I will say it again:
For me, there's no such thing as "endgame" Schiit.
Doesn't matter if it's something as crazy as a Folkvangr, as unique as a Piety, as unwieldy as a Mjolnir, or as "mundane" as an Asgard. Much of the joy that can be had in this hobby comes from all those different flavors that we can pick and choose from.
Seriously; roll your Schiit as you roll your tubes. Go and spice things up every once in a while. Makes the entire hobby ten times more enjoyable.

* I'll never get this one right on the first try… 🙄

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #113,875 of 150,446
We are very happy living intown Atlanta. Traffic is not an issue for us. We do frequent Cashiers NC and love it there too.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #113,876 of 150,446
Unplug the thing and put it on a shelve shelf.* No, seriously; put it somewhere out of sight and out of mind.

Then—two, three months later—put it back into rotation ……… and have your mind blown all over again just as it did the first time you listened to it.

Doesn't matter if it's something as crazy as a Folkvangr, as unique as a Piety, as unwieldy as a Mjolnir, or as "mundane" as an Asgard. Much of the joy that can be had in this hobby comes from all those different flavors that we can pick and choose from.
Seriously; roll your Schiit as you roll your tubes. Go and spice things up every once in a while. Makes the entire hobby ten times more enjoyable.

Love the Folkvangr. Wish I made more time to sit back and actively enjoy it, but you’re right - coming back to it after a while… love.

PS: was that “unwiedly” intentional?

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #113,877 of 150,446
PS: was that “unwiedly” intentional?
Yes, that was intentional. Why do you ask? It's not exactly light or compact by any stretch of the imagination, especially not when compared to most other headphone amps.

(…types I while sitting at a desk that has on it an Yggy OG sitting on it, with a Folkvangr stacked on top of that… 😬)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #113,878 of 150,446
North Jersey peeps are Giants fans. Southern NJ (where I am and probably SpazPlayzz if he is near the base) is all Eagles. I'm neither. Becasue of a Christmas gift mistake, I'm a Cowboys fan.

Attachments

• 55BDD2A8-88A5-467C-9DD7-9F125FA6F6C1.jpeg
    55BDD2A8-88A5-467C-9DD7-9F125FA6F6C1.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #113,880 of 150,446

This is the very reason I have so many headphones. Rotating through them is like hearing them for the first time. Variety is the spice of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back