Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #113,731 of 150,605
I have, but my splices were clean. I used Samplitude, which was an awesome editing tool. I miss using it at times. But, I grew weary of mastering vanity projects, to where music became a chore. So I gave it up, as I valued my joy of listening to music too much, to let it be ruined. Now, I work with my hands, instead of my ears. A far better choice...! :grinning:
I didn't last long as an engineer. Yeah sucked the fun out of things too much, too much direct contact w the customer, and totally thankless.

But yeah, my understanding is that jitter creates little minute versions of that sound, but correlated with the signal. Humans are very sensitive to correlated noise, hence dither. It's subtle but it affects the experience.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #113,732 of 150,605
But yeah, my understanding is that jitter creates little minute versions of that sound, but correlated with the signal. Humans are very sensitive correlated noise, hence dither. It's subtle but it affects the experience.
Timing is critical to all audio playback. But I do believe that time variations in an analog (physical) playback chain - as long as they are not ridiculous in duration - are much, much more tolerable to the human ear than truly miniscule time variations in a digital playback chain.

I'm listening to George Michael's "Mother's Pride" off the "Listen Without Prejudice" LP. It sounds luscious. I mean, crystal clear and incredibly dynamic, with a virtually silent background. I would also say that I listened to Tay-tay's "evermore" on vinyl tonight, and it sounded even better, but I need to have plausible deniability that I listened to Taylor Swift, if I don't want ORT to get mad at me... j/k, buddy.

Even with millisecond-regime fluctuations in rotational speed, a.k.a. "wow-n-flutter", my Clearaudio Concept TT delivers a spectacular presentation of this album, without any worry about pico or nano or micro or whatever-seconds affecting the ability to re-construct a perfect sine wave through an extremely limited number of vertices that are exactly, perfectly placed in time.

By the way, the same FLAC "album side" (remember those?!?) sounds damned spectacular when streamed from Tidal, thru the AURALiC Aries G1, via Yggy. This is probably because Yggy was designed by Mike, who truly understands how to reconstruct near-perfect analog waveforms from limited data. But AFAIC, (affordable) digital ultimately cannot sound as good as this vinyl record does, via a similarly priced playback chain. Might be expectation bias on my part, but that's my prerogative, right?

I personally consume a LOT of digital audio, and in my system(s), it sounds really, really good. But it doesn't sound the same as analog playback. While my digital system does not have an external rubidium atomic clock as a timebase... the fact that a system WITH such a device can sound ALMOST as good as a LP played over an analog reproduction chain that costs 1/15th as much... that's the deal to me. And, this may make zero sense because I've been drinking. I am especially careful lifting and lowering the tonearm when I am drinking.

But I feel strongly, regardless, About what? I'm not sure. Time for bed, likely. But it was a lot of fun, listening to vinyl, tonight. :p

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #113,733 of 150,605
And, this may make zero sense because I've been drinking. I am especially careful lifting and lowering the tonearm when I am drinking.

But I feel strongly, regardless, About what? I'm not sure. Time for bed, likely. But it was a lot of fun, listening to vinyl, tonight. :p
Makes perfect sense to me 🤪 I don't know about you but I'm not quite ready to drop $8K on a DAC! I'll put up with those character-building inconveniences of vinyl for now and probably spend way too much on records anyway, but hey, that's the fun. And you support local business if you're like me.

At my favorite shop in LA the guy consistently prices things suuper reasonably, sometimes even too low, but they're always playable, often cleaned, and you know if you're buying original pressings and taking care of them they will hold their value if not increase in value. I'm not in this for the $$ but if it's between keeping my records or giving my geriatric cat life saving veteranary care, sorry, but that OG pressing is going up on discogs 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #113,736 of 150,605
Mar 19, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #113,737 of 150,605
Mar 19, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #113,739 of 150,605
@classfolkphile has other plans for his devices.

I'll send this rack to the first responder in the US. This is for the rack only and none of the devices displayed will be included. It's all boxed up and ready to go

rack (1).png

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #113,740 of 150,605
Excuse me, sir?! 😳
I don't write long posts. Especially not ones where I would explain anything technical. 😬
"Long" is such a subjective term. Let's go with thorough instead. 🤣

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #113,741 of 150,605
Anybody else ever noticed the pattern in the grooves of Trans Europe Express?
20230318_194813.jpg
If you play it backwards, you can hear "Please stop doing this" pretty clearly. Much friendlier than the Beatles "Turn me on dead man," although anybody spinning an LP backwards on *my* rig would be a dead man. 🤣

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #113,744 of 150,605
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #113,745 of 150,605

Users who are viewing this thread

Back