Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #113,297 of 150,085
I'm actually pretty open to new foods and have enjoyed many tastes in other countries. Although a friend of mine from near here (Atlanta) dared me to try chittlins. He had eaten it his entire life. I did try it but never again. Never again.
Well, when you've tried everything else, there's always guga.

The article takes a while to get to the culinary bit, but it's worth the read.

First, catch your gannet.

Oh, and my response to quizzical looks about my age vs attitude is "you're as old as you behave." You can guess the replies.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #113,298 of 150,085
For some reason reading this reminded me of how much I appreciate the Yggy LiM. I listened to Bring Me the Horizon's Live At The Royal Albert Hall and it was glorious despite NOT having sterling recording quality. I listen to MUSIC and the LiM transports me regardless of the recording quality.

This was amazeballs on my YggyOG/Folkvangr, thanks for sharing. Big fan of BMTH, but hadn't seen this concert previously.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #113,299 of 150,085
Gungnir's on indefinite hiatus. I mentioned this was coming in a few chapters.

We'll see what comes. Upgrade or replacement, it won't be fast. Think next year if it happens at all.
This saddens me a little bit, because I've been a happy Gungnir owner since 2013.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #113,300 of 150,085
Just to put it into perspective, Topping would likely have gone through 20 new model replacements in that 10 year time. :smirk:

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #113,301 of 150,085
Were it not for @FLTWS unfortunate hearing issues, I would be quite happy with only having a Gungnir. In terms of SQ Gumby was a marked upgrade over Bifrost in areas that matter to me (treble, bass articulation) and holds its own very well against Yggy.

I owned a Gungnir MB A2 and bought a Bifrost 2/64. The latter offered (to my ears) lower noise floor, better blackground, better resolution, slightly better bass and much better treble response, and better soundstage. The Gungnir was sold soon after.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #113,302 of 150,085
@Jason Stoddard can you comment at all on Modi Multibit 2 supplies? Black is either back ordered or 10+ weeks out and silver is limited supply. What's going on?

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #113,303 of 150,085
Dumb question time, almost everyone that has bought the Aegir has bought them in pairs. Is that to take advantage of the balanced inputs, or is it deemed necessary to get a suitable amount of headroom? Does anyone have any experiences to share in running the Aegir in stereo mode?
I run a single Aegir in stereo. Plenty of headroom with Klipsch OG Chorus speakers in a 16 x 17' room. A bigger room, or less sensitive speakers or both could easily change the headroom results. As information, I rarely listen at greater than 85 dB at the listening position (generally lower).

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #113,304 of 150,085
@Jason Stoddard can you comment at all on Modi Multibit 2 supplies? Black is either back ordered or 10+ weeks out and silver is limited supply. What's going on?
When you do not have all of the parts, regardless if they are Integrated Circuits, chip passives, metalwork, or lock washers, you are dead in the water. The days of "build to shortage" ended with SMT and auto pick and place. It does not matter what is missing---if anything is missing, you cannot build and ship. The details are irrelevant, since they change daily.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #113,305 of 150,085
This was amazeballs on my YggyOG/Folkvangr, thanks for sharing. Big fan of BMTH, but hadn't seen this concert previously.
My son introduced me to BMTH with the Happy Song from the same performance. I became a fan literally on the spot and now have quite a few lossless albums from them. Here is a case where I find the live recording to be more engaging than the studio albums featuring the same songs.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #113,306 of 150,085
4k.png

The discontinuation of Gungnir also marks the end for the "wrap-around" case design. The OG Schiit Style, if you will, that we had since the very first Asgard.

Yes, it was a pain to manufacture, and an even bigger pain to assemble.

But it looked oooh so magnificent!

Especially in its 16" variant that Gungnir and Mjolnir 1 and 2 came in. So understated and perfectly proportioned. In silver and when stacked, the upper bevel's specular gradient and the lower bevel's darker ambient gradient complimented each other to create the most pleasing of shadow gaps.

The newer case design with its larger diameter upper bevel and the hard corner at the bottom looks perfectly nice when you arrange your gear horizontally next to one another. The sharp edge floating above the surface of your table or shelf looks much better than that beveled edge ever did.

But when stacked, the bigger upper bevel and the hard lower edge just clash. In those instances especially, the old "double bevel" was simply in a class of its own.

I'm not complaining, mind you. The new design is so much easier to manufacture and to assemble, it does look more modern, and I have a feeling that it might resonate more with most people's design sensibilities. I really do like it a lot, myself!

But the good, old "double bevel" will forever occupy a special corner in my heart. 😁

And so you might consider this post here a little eulogy of sorts to a piece of minimalist industrial design that I always really liked, and that I would not hesitate to list alongside such iconic masterpieces as the Lamy 2000, the Barcelona Chair, the Braun T3, or the Porsche 901's silhouette.
No, neither am I kidding, nor am I brown-nosing. I really do think that the 16" double-bevel chassis has earned its place among those icons.

And I, for one, will miss it a lot.

A resounding "Good riddance!" to the Gungnir's three feet, though. There's a rather sizable gash in the surface of my desk that serves as a reminder of a time before this-here idiot had realized that Gungnir didn't come with such modern conveniences as one foot in each corner. Ugh… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edit:
Yes. I forgot about the existence of Valhalla, which is now the last active product with the classic wrap-around design.
Oops… 😬
But in my defense: The 9" double-bevel is just not the same! 😇

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #113,307 of 150,085
Edit:
Yes. I forgot about the existence of Valhalla, which is now the last active product with the classic wrap-around design.
Oops… 😬
But from Jason has mentioned its time is near too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back