Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #112,666 of 150,438
2023, Chapter 3
When to Say “When”

Well, to clear things up, I’m not on ketamine. As of the time of this writing.

That does clear things up.

Mar 9, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #112,667 of 150,438
Puts me in mind of a song I heard long ago…

"Wild Mountain Honey"

Ooh, mama
Well look what's been done
You can only see the stars
After a setting sun

You run for the money
You don't even know about wild mountain honey

Come on mama
Heal this lonesome man
Grow the tree of wholeness
In this desert land

Come on children
Now learn how to run
By heaven, the stars, the moon and the sun

Come on papa
Your end is the means
Don't trade your love and goodness
For the golden machine

You run for the money

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #112,668 of 150,438
Two more things I like about Apple Music: their weekly “favourites mix” actually makes me smile and sing and dance every week. Only playes music I love from my (extensive) library. Ok I fancy my own familiar stuff… not too keen on new stuff.

Also they offer quite often albums in multiple versions (remixes and remasters). so you can avoid some of the brick walled mishaps…
Apple Music see
I have used iTunes since the early days - and today I still use the Music app to manage my digital collection of local digital lossless and high-res files (all Apples ALAC format because it’s easy and lossless), but also use Apple Music for my needs at work, in the car and with a few homepods for that ”music all around the house“ when doing some cleaning and laundry and cooking in the kitchen. I think it’s the best streaming service, period (and I have tried out most also using vpn with the ones not available in Sweden). They have a decent price also for whole family and they offer lossless and highres just out of the box.
I did previously use the iTunes Match feature to have my local collection synked to the cloud - but no reason now since their catalog has expanded and also offers better quality,
I use iTunes Match extensively, it’s great as I have all music on my main computer can just stream my entire library on my work computer and phone whenever I want. Haven’t taken the step to Apple Music yet, but as I’m interested in music from independent creators that often isn’t there (or other streaming platforms for that matter) I often buy the music from where it is and add it to my library from downloaded FLACs instead.

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #112,670 of 150,438
Apple Music see

I use iTunes Match extensively, it’s great as I have all music on my main computer can just stream my entire library on my work computer and phone whenever I want. Haven’t taken the step to Apple Music yet, but as I’m interested in music from independent creators that often isn’t there (or other streaming platforms for that matter) I often buy the music from where it is and add it to my library from downloaded FLACs instead.

the only downside to Match is when it doesnt want to match the entire album, or when it matches a (shittier) remaster than the version you have locally. I wish there were a way to override it when needed.

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #112,671 of 150,438
Puts me in mind of a song I heard long ago…

"Wild Mountain Honey"

Ooh, mama
Well look what's been done
You can only see the stars
After a setting sun

You run for the money

Come on mama
Heal this lonesome man
Grow the tree of wholeness
In this desert land

Come on children
Now learn how to run
By heaven, the stars, the moon and the sun

Come on papa
Your end is the means
Don't trade your love and goodness
For the golden machine

You run for the money

Steve Miller...? :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #112,673 of 150,438
wow, thought it was vaporware or straight axed
It was pretty clear Apple was going to do something with their Primephonic acquisition, it was just unclear what. Would have been pretty challenging integrating it cleanly into the existing Music app/service. Most speculation was that they'd stand up a separate paid service, but happily that's not the case.

Speaking of challenging, it'll definitely make life tougher for Idagio, and to some lesser extent for Qobuz and Tidal.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #112,674 of 150,438
However, to be clear, will Roon allow simultaneous use of multiple Airplay endpoints. Specifically, multiple Airport Express such as iTunes/Music App will?
roon can group play endpoints if they are all of the same type (all airplay, all roon-ready, all xyz). It won't group play an airplay with a roon-ready, e.g.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #112,675 of 150,438
Well, the Tyrs ... stage quite a lot wider. But what the hell do you expect; they cost 22.6 times as much, for f#@&'s sake!
This is 2 monos vs one stereo? Science (ha!) demands you get another Rekkr to make the playing (double ha!) field more even.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #112,677 of 150,438
You guys are krilling me. :rolling_eyes:

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #112,678 of 150,438
Whenever you need a pick me up, just go on this thread. You're sure to find a laugh somewhere!

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #112,679 of 150,438
Gjallarhorn = buzz?

For years I'd used powered monitors. Yes, they hissed and buzzed, but if I kept them on low gain it was barely noticeable.

When Gjallarhorn was released, I decided it was time to upgrade and finally kill the noise. I ordered one along with a set of Fluance Signature 2-way speakers.

I removed the powered monitors and hooked my existing and new gear up as follows:

Modi Multibit 2 -> Lokius -> Asgard 3 -> Gjallarhorn -> Fluance speakers

Previously, the Asgard went to the powered monitors.

And now the buzz is louder than it was through the powered monitors! All is dead silent through the headphone output on Asgard, so it seems like all the noise is coming from Gjallarhorn. What gives? Am I missing something? Everything is plugged into the same power bar and interconnections are all Schiit Pyst single ended 6" cables.

My gear is stacked from top to bottom as follows:

Modi
Gjallarhorn
Asgard
Lokius

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #112,680 of 150,438
Gjallarhorn = buzz?

For years I'd used powered monitors. Yes, they hissed and buzzed, but if I kept them on low gain it was barely noticeable.

When Gjallarhorn was released, I decided it was time to upgrade and finally kill the noise. I ordered one along with a set of Fluance Signature 2-way speakers.

I removed the powered monitors and hooked my existing and new gear up as follows:

Modi Multibit 2 -> Lokius -> Asgard 3 -> Gjallarhorn -> Fluance speakers

Previously, the Asgard went to the powered monitors.

And now the buzz is louder than it was through the powered monitors! All is dead silent through the headphone output on Asgard, so it seems like all the noise is coming from Gjallarhorn. What gives? Am I missing something? Everything is plugged into the same power bar and interconnections are all Schiit Pyst single ended 6" cables.

My gear is stacked from top to bottom as follows:

Modi
Gjallarhorn
Asgard
Lokius
Some ideas.....

Does buzzzz go away with no input connected to Gj?
Desktop probably involves a computer, possibly a UPS? Make Gj sure power is not plugged into it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back