Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #112,531 of 150,470
That doesn't look right to me. Looks like an issue with the stamped steel base side being malformed. Top looks fine, IMHO.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #112,532 of 150,470
I really don't like the sound of Amazon HD Music: much too forward in the upper mids. They're selection is good and the interface is okay. Qobuz and Spotify have the best interfaces, IMHO, and the latter has a great catalog but I've been alienated by their refusal to implement lossless - especially after promising it for so long.
This post got me to download Qobuz and start comparing it to Amazon HD Music that I usually use. I think I would agree that they are somewhat different but I am think that I probably prefer the clarity of Amazon. Qobuz sounds somewhat muddled in comparison. I guess it would come down to your equipment and tastes on which you would prefer. Has anyone else done this comparison and which did you prefer, if you can hear a difference at all?

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #112,533 of 150,470
That doesn't look right to me. Looks like an issue with the stamped steel base side being malformed. Top looks fine, IMHO.

yeah, only talking about the bottom device (which is a brand new Modi+), the middle and top ones are older Loki and SYS. i have a bunch of Schiit devices and this is the first time i'm seeing something like this. decided to ask before blaming the new materials/coating.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #112,535 of 150,470
This post got me to download Qobuz and start comparing it to Amazon HD Music that I usually use. I think I would agree that they are somewhat different but I am think that I probably prefer the clarity of Amazon. Qobuz sounds somewhat muddled in comparison. I guess it would come down to your equipment and tastes on which you would prefer. Has anyone else done this comparison and which did you prefer, if you can hear a difference at all?
Amazon Music Unlimited is lossless, unprocessed. If others sound different…hmm…

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #112,536 of 150,470
But is the AZ HD player set to playback bit perfect?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #112,537 of 150,470
Qobuz is set to Wasapi (Exclusive mode) and Amazon is set to exclusive mode. Quality is set to max on both. The difference isn't large but I hadn't done this kind of comparison before, always assuming there shouldn't and wouldn't be a difference) so was curious if other people heard one.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #112,539 of 150,470
No matter the service I use, I much prefer just listening to the music and not the equipment, the codec the bit rate or even the service provider? Does it sound like the Beatles and not just an incredible simulation? I have Amazon UHD because that is what they use for their Unlimited tier. I have Pandora Premium and I have SiriusXM. I listen to the music.

I do NOT want to listen "critically". I want to enjoy my music and the memories associated with it. I recently bought some new Pro-Jet Beatles turntables. I like the way they look and they play my records just as well as my Crosley suitcase record player does. Yup.

I am an audio Philistine. :beerchug:

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #112,541 of 150,470
Qobuz is set to Wasapi (Exclusive mode) and Amazon is set to exclusive mode. Quality is set to max on both. The difference isn't large but I hadn't done this kind of comparison before, always assuming there shouldn't and wouldn't be a difference) so was curious if other people heard one.
IIRC there was some discussion on the bifrost 2 thread about how sometimes Amazon music can fool you into thinking you're getting bit perfect playback when you're really not, though I suppose if you're using something like an yggy you could at least be sure the correct sample rate was being set as the quality of the tracks changes.

Edit: Found it:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-audio-bifrost-2.914084/page-206#post-17091269

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #112,542 of 150,470
In my A system I use Raspberry Pi with Volumio. It’s cool because I can play my entire digital collection via the Volumio app (SSD attached) or from my phone or iPad because Volumio has Airplay2. This also means guests can play right to it as well.

On my B system I have my minidisc player and Oppo UDP hooked up. No streaming to that.

In the living room I have Apple TV which can also seamlessly receive music from our iPhones / iPads.

My SO and I share Apple Music for streaming although she uses it way more. I had Qobuz for a couple months but didn’t use it enough to justify the cost. I did like being able to buy some hard to find digital albums uncompressed.

I remember when Apple was bad about unceremoniously deleting tracks. That was many years ago. Ever since then I keep multiple backups. Apple Music seems more reliable these days.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #112,543 of 150,470
It was also common with CD packaging in the early days to have a warning somewhere. Something along the lines of "Compact Discs are free of background noise. When starting to play a CD do not mistake the silent background for a need to turn the volume up..."
Okay, I got the wording wrong, but the idea is correct.
… you wouldn’t want that ‘perfect sound forever’ too loud … 😳😫🙉

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #112,544 of 150,470
I did like being able to buy some hard to find digital albums uncompressed.
You can cancel your subscription and still buy downloads as long as you still have a Qobuz acct. All you should need is an account. Unless it's changed recently, I was able to keep buying downloads after canceling.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #112,545 of 150,470
@Jason Stoddard Congrats to you and the rest of the Schiitheads for having Tyr named a Class A product in Stereophile! I am pretty sure you would say it doesn't really matter to you, but it is a nice reflection of all of your hard work and a feather in the whole crews' cap. Huzzah!
Tyr and Aegir are both Class A! And so is Freya+... OG (Analog 2) Yggy used to be Class A, but I don't see him on the list any longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back