Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #112,516 of 150,453
Are those the wireless ones? Loved bmy wireless Senns...

My family refers to Olive Garden as Olive Grove for similar reasons...
Yes, they are RF so pretty much line of sight but I like them for film as back when I got them BlooToof was not nearly so good as it is now for synching up diaglog. I just lost them in a "storage" room. Kinda like the "Isle of Misfit Audio". :ksc75smile:

"Olive Grove"! Excellent!

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #112,517 of 150,453
Yeah it’s been a bit confusing dealing with streaming and local files in one app and interface. But it actually works well to use the Music app for both scenarios. I use it on one computer to just manage local files (not syncing or anything) and on my other devices I only use the Apple Music streaming services.
Two more things I like about Apple Music: their weekly “favourites mix” actually makes me smile and sing and dance every week. Only playes music I love from my (extensive) library. Ok I fancy my own familiar stuff… not too keen on new stuff.

Also they offer quite often albums in multiple versions (remixes and remasters). so you can avoid some of the brick walled mishaps…

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #112,518 of 150,453
Yeah it’s been a bit confusing dealing with streaming and local files in one app and interface. But it actually works well to use the Music app for both scenarios. I use it on one computer to just manage local files (not syncing or anything) and on my other devices I only use the Apple Music streaming services.
Thank you. This is where I most likely will end up; except keeping my files in iTunes and using Music App for streaming.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #112,519 of 150,453
On the right are some tubes that I felt were "meh" in the lyr 3. All had low-ish hours on them but were fully burned in. On the left are some NOS Sylvania 6sn7gta's. I liked all of them, least of all the brown "W" version but still better than the newer tubes. Also had a ken rad that I liked better too.

Maybe part of it is a question of bang for the buck. Those Sylvanias I thought were fantastic for the money. The newer tubes on the right, if I recall were in the same price ballpark.

But hey, to each their own! Being a subjectivist is fun 🙂
20230307_123616.jpg
… and if one idolises Marilyn Manson, as does b####n, one is a sado-subjectivist … 😱😈🤣

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #112,520 of 150,453
So much to unpack! And it's always fun to spend other people's money.

One thing to consider, and I didn't see it mentioned, is a streamer. When I've replaced "non-dedicated" streamers with a dedicated one, it's been a notable improvement in ease-of-use and sound quality. Doesn't have to be a pricey one. The Snake Oil Streamer (were it in stock) is the kind of thing I mean. The iPhone is serviceable - I think a built-for-purpose streamer would be revelatory.

For me, the best upgrades I've done are DAC and speakers. Speaker upgrade is a rabbit hole, for sure.

I wish whiskey wasn't a consumable - it'd be the best upgrade by far!

A great streamer is the WiiM Pro. The WiiM Mini is not too shabby either.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #112,521 of 150,453
A great streamer is the WiiM Pro. The WiiM Mini is not too shabby either.
Outside my HEOS set up, this is hands down my favortie internet tuner. I have two in my home and have given several as presents to family and friends. It is excellent and is the easiest device to bring the world of internet radio to even older two channel stereos.

613IyuVXyLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #112,522 of 150,453
Outside my HEOS set up, this is hands down my favortie internet tuner. I have two in my home and have given several as presents to family and friends. It is excellent and is the easiest device to bring the world of internet radio to even older two channel stereos.

613IyuVXyLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sorry, but I much prefer the WiiM with easy ready access control via a phone app. No screen to add to the cost and that I would never use.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #112,523 of 150,453
Random late night thought. Does anybody else remember when C.D.s were relatively new and they would reissue old albums, but would include a message somewhere on the packaging that said something like, "Digital audio can reveal flaws in the original analog source materials"?

I always thought that was funny. Like was everybody in the control room listening back thinking, "O.K. this kind of sucks, but when it's transferred to vinyl and cassette, it won't really matter"? 😃
It was also common with CD packaging in the early days to have a warning somewhere. Something along the lines of "Compact Discs are free of background noise. When starting to play a CD do not mistake the silent background for a need to turn the volume up..."
Okay, I got the wording wrong, but the idea is correct.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #112,525 of 150,453
Sorry, but I much prefer the WiiM with easy ready access control via a phone app. No screen to add to the cost and that I would never use.
The Link has an easy to use Android/iOS compatible application. But if you like the WiiM, that is fine with me! I prefer the simplicity of setup, the presets and the screen is nice as a reference especially so as I use mine for headphone listening. I can also play the same thing in any room that has one of the newer Grace Digital radios and I have those too. It just works. I hear music.

Again, the ease of access via app is there as is a remote control that comes with the unit and of course, the Grace Digital App on my iPhone. I have given these units to senior citizens older than me (hard to believe) because they are comfortable with their older two-channel stereo(s) and they are thrilled with the ease and the screen is a plus as are the presets, etc. Just as you must be with your Wiim! :beerchug:

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #112,526 of 150,453
The iFi zen stream is also a nice option for a pure streamer. Tidal and Roon instantly work. Having a dedicated streamer with easy remote use probably doubled our use of the stereo. Worth every penny.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #112,527 of 150,453
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #112,529 of 150,453
The Link has an easy to use Android/iOS compatible application. But if you like the WiiM, that is fine with me! I prefer the simplicity of setup, the presets and the screen is nice as a reference especially so as I use mine for headphone listening. I can also play the same thing in any room that has one of the newer Grace Digital radios and I have those too. It just works. I hear music.

Again, the ease of access via app is there as is a remote control that comes with the unit and of course, the Grace Digital App on my iPhone. I have given these units to senior citizens older than me (hard to believe) because they are comfortable with their older two-channel stereo(s) and they are thrilled with the ease and the screen is a plus as are the presets, etc. Just as you must be with your Wiim! :beerchug:

Fair enough! But for those looking for a $78 streamer… WiiM Mini. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back