Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #112,006 of 150,704
So it would but be "flat" at ~13hz? My amp isn't an Aegir or Vidar. They have 44k balanced input impedance. My amp is 22k. Just want to make sure I'm not messing up. The load is too low for my D. Sachs DS2 tube linestage.
Thanks for the help,
barondla

for Freya+ / Freya N with 2.2uF output coupling caps per phase into 22k SE / 44k balanced input of Vidar:
-3dB at 3.6Hz, and -0.32dB at 13Hz. (in line with Schiit's published specs for 20-20kHz and -3dB points)

for perspective, the volume steps (single click using the front panel knob) on Freya + / Freya N / Freya S are 0.625dB... twice that of the fall-off at 13Hz.

re 13Hz (IMO many more significant non-linearities in the system WRT steady-state frequency response "flatness"):
were the recordings made with a signal chain flat to below 13Hz???
can you even hear or sense (jawbone conduction, etc) that? and the speaker's anechoic response at 13Hz vs at normal bass frequencies at reasonable output levels??? and the in-room response??? there's only so much a DSP correction system can do...

there's more to subjective performance of audio reproduction than steady-state measurements...

look up the frequency response ranges of musical instruments in the bass range (e.g. string double bass, tympani, tuba, etc)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #112,007 of 150,704
Since this thread has been a good source for music recommendations, I wonder if there are any fans of Prog Rock here? I've been a progressive music fan for decades; YES, ELP, Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, and Kansas; I'm a big fan of them all. But, I'm not too up on as much modern Prog. I've only heard a few newer bands; I.Q., Porcupine Tree (and Steven Wilson), Dream Theater and Anima Mundi. I like electronic, space music, New Age and fusion too. Any other bands that I should look out for?

Thanks. :grinning:
I'm a fan of I.Q and the other "mainstream" bands you mentioned. You might like Marillion, Camel, Nektar, and Spock's Beard. Some of those bands aren't too new though.

Edit: Forgot to mention Kayak

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #112,008 of 150,704
Agreed! Intending on buying a pair of LS50's and pairing with a Ragnarok, I stumbled across a used pair of LS50w's for 1300, couldn't pass that up. They sound great; if you haven't heard these driver's yet, make a point to...
When I do upgrade the B&W 804's in the big system, if all goes well, I'm going to go all out for a pair of Blade Metas. Maybe the Ones, but likely the Twos, and most likely used. It's going to take another year or three of scrimping to get there, unless the markets turn upward, hard... <g>

Uni-Q delivers the most coherent midrange I've ever heard, short of nothing. Point source == goodness.

For every hour I spend listening to the big system, I'm upstairs with the [OG Jotunheim / TrueMultibit™ DAC / mono Aegirs / OG LS50s] small rig 15x.
I feel strongly that I could sell the big system and live with the small rig with little regret. But then, what will I obsess over? :innocent:

Feb 28, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #112,009 of 150,704
for Freya+ / Freya N with 2.2uF output coupling caps per phase into 22k SE / 44k balanced input of Vidar:
-3dB at 3.6Hz, and -0.32dB at 13Hz. (in line with Schiit's published specs for 20-20kHz and -3dB points)

for perspective, the volume steps (single click using the front panel knob) on Freya + / Freya N / Freya S are 0.625dB... twice that of the fall-off at 13Hz.

re 13Hz (IMO many more significant non-linearities in the system WRT steady-state frequency response "flatness"):
can you even hear or sense (jawbone conduction, etc) that? and the speaker's anechoic response at 13Hz vs at normal bass frequencies at reasonable output levels??? and the in-room response??? there's only so much a DSP correction system can do...

there's more to subjective performance of audio reproduction than steady-state measurements...

look up the frequency response ranges of musical instruments in the bass range (e.g. string double bass, tympani, tuba, etc)

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like the Freya + will work fine with my amp.
Thanks again,
barondla

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #112,010 of 150,704
And never forget how your equipment looks. There is comfort, joy and pride in ownership of something you own and proudly display.

F10480A7-2913-4341-A6EA-E097580A7359.jpeg
🤣🤣🤣

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #112,011 of 150,704
In case anyone was wondering if a pair of mono Gjallies have enough juice for LS50s in a near field desk setup. I just got mine today and tested for only about five minutes or so and they get very loud quickly. Super excited to listen tomorrow. I was saving up for Aegirs but Jason saved me a grand. Thanks Schiit!
Gonna sell a schiitload of them! :sweat_smile:

Still... in my 1st and 2nd Watt heart, want a pile of schiit rekkrs for biamping the schiit out of my next ultra-nearfield project.

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #112,012 of 150,704
:relaxed:

Don't worry. I take solace in the fact that a) all but two of my main rig's signal cables are XLR balanced, and b) I've done my "best" to keep AC and signal cables separated and at 90 degree orientations.

(don't look closely bc the photo will make me a liar re: "b" above... note: added quotes around "best")

wires cropped 001.jpeg

Me also. I miss my old friend, too, a lot.
I smile each time I look at the LS50s wearing their odd yarmulkes... <g>
I recognize that label on the turntable! Who else kept all of their old Led Zeppelin records?

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #112,013 of 150,704
Unfortunately, not enough information. What bookshelf speakers? At what listening distance? How loudly do you plan to listen? What types of music? What gear do you already own? These variables will determine if the Rekkr will work for you.
Ah sorry I'm assuming the Rekkr is for a nearfield set or small desktop.im looking to power KEF Q105 or Elac debut 6.2 in a medium small living room

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #112,014 of 150,704
Since this thread has been a good source for music recommendations, I wonder if there are any fans of Prog Rock here? I've been a progressive music fan for decades; YES, ELP, Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, and Kansas; I'm a big fan of them all. But, I'm not too up on as much modern Prog. I've only heard a few newer bands; I.Q., Porcupine Tree (and Steven Wilson), Dream Theater and Anima Mundi. I like electronic, space music, New Age and fusion too. Any other bands that I should look out for?

Gong- The Radio Gnome Trilogy:
  1. Flying Teapot
  2. Angel's Egg
  3. You
:smile_cat:

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #112,015 of 150,704
:relaxed:

Don't worry. I take solace in the fact that a) all but two of my main rig's signal cables are XLR balanced, and b) I've done my "best" to keep AC and signal cables separated and at 90 degree orientations.

(don't look closely bc the photo will make me a liar re: "b" above... note: added quotes around "best")

wires cropped 001.jpeg

Me also. I miss my old friend, too, a lot.
I smile each time I look at the LS50s wearing their odd yarmulkes... <g>

Clearaudio Concept turntable - MM or MC?

I have the MC version myself. I love it.
:beerchug:
JC

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #112,016 of 150,704
It was truly an epic post, and I can’t wait to explore it in depth!
Seriously, great post and thanks for taking the time to share it. A lot of that I haven't heard before, but looking forward to listening to it.
Back in the day I discovered a good amount of my favorite musicians thanks to nice folks in other (now extinct) forums who used to share their recommendations. It was a much more tiring and slow process than today cause Youtube (or any other streaming service) didn't exist, so people had to upload their own rips to unreliable services that operated at speeds suitable only for sloths.

So, if I can do the same, sharing a little bit of my favs, maybe I'll allow some people to make their music catalog a bit wider, and that's good cause the more musicians in your catalog, the better :)
Well, you almost broke this thread. Nearly an entire page taken up by....music? Damn. Please consider injecting a cat pic or a favorable comment about NC BBQ next time. 🤣 🤣
Ah yeah, I was aware that I was going to cause a disturbance deviating so much from the core of this thread: cats & BBQ sauce :scream:

Next time I'll post some pics of my goofy cats :nerd:

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #112,017 of 150,704
Great selection indeed.

Love your calling of Virgil Donati a "mutant", he's quite incredible.
I have had the pleasure of seeing Virgil across a number of his projects in the 80s and 90s in Melbourne.
Changes - A three piece almost acoustic jazz/prog ensemble (with Joe Chindamo on keys) at a small pub in inner Melbourne
Loose Change - This picked up the theme and moved to a more prog/rock/fusion, pressed the loud pedal some more. I have a live recording made at the Grainstore Tavern in Melbourne on night, direct to two track. (from the desk, not a bootleg as it was published) It was an amazing night to be there.
Hans Valen - Easy to guess what this was a cover band for! Only did like 6 or 8 gigs, saw every one.
Southern Sons - Poppy/Rock. Saw them live too a few times.
Woah, I'm jealous. Since I'm from Chile, I guess the only chance to watch Virgil live was when he was the drummer in the Steve Vai band. But IIRC, Steve didn't toured South America during that period.

There's another fantastic australian musician -that I didn't mention in my long post- called Brett Garsed. He is an amazing guitar player. His style is rock fusion for the most part. He made a couple of albums with another killer player called T.J. Helmerich, and they complemented each other extremely well cause Brett's style is heavily legato oriented, while Helmerich approach is basically 8-finger tapping the whole time (pretty similar to Stanley Jordan style).

The albums were they played together are called Quid Pro Quo and Exempt in case you are interested.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #112,018 of 150,704
Wow...! I'm overwhelmed with all the the great responses! It's nice to see so many Prog fans here. In my rural area, there's not many of us. No one has heard, or even heard of, many of the bands that I like. So, a heart-felt thanks for all the mentions. A lot to go through. And even more surprising, no mention of cats, cars, BBQ, or space lasers...! Or even cardboard...! Awesome. :grinning: 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #112,019 of 150,704

The Black Keys and White Stripes. Also Jack White's solo albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back