Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 26, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #111,781 of 150,874
2 random questions about Rekkr, @Jason Stoddard

What are the physical dimensions of the power supply/wall wart (not listed on specs page for either the Rekkr or the Gjallanhorn).

Some of these amps, if you buy a bigger power supply will give more power/cleaner amplification. Is that also true of these amps?

(btw, thank you thank you thank you for making the amps I've been wanting for years now!)
In the article, Jason said that he chose the power supply to stop it self immolating. More power means more heat, so you might kill the amp

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #111,782 of 150,874
2 random questions about Rekkr, @Jason Stoddard

What are the physical dimensions of the power supply/wall wart (not listed on specs page for either the Rekkr or the Gjallanhorn).

Some of these amps, if you buy a bigger power supply will give more power/cleaner amplification. Is that also true of these amps?

(btw, thank you thank you thank you for making the amps I've been wanting for years now!)

The wall wart for Rekkr supplies AC. Rectification and regulation is internal. From the Rekkr spec page:
Power Supply: 6VAC, 2A wall-wart, 12,000uF filter capacitance, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages

Gjallarhorn is line-powered, internally rectified and regulated:

gjallarhorn-back.jpg

It's not possible to use "upgraded" power supplies on either. I see the need for a Cthulhu desktop wart that could power Rekkr, DAC, a Raspberry Pi, and charge a phone/tablet.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #111,783 of 150,874
Hmmmmm...Could be, but I have never seen more than snippets of either film even the CK is said by many to be the finest film of all time. I know that "Citizen Kane" was lauded for things like showing ceilings in some shots while "Porky's" was said to be all about showing T&A in some shots.

I will forever take Class over Ass but I suppose you can have a bit o' both. Rodney Dangerfield is pure class and sometimes his films contain a touch of ass to go with his class. :beerchug: "Say g'nite Toad."

G'Nite!

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #111,784 of 150,874
With all due respect.... the first amp you sold, to @FLTWS is the prettiest one in existence.

I dont have pics readily available, but dang is it a nice looking amp.
It was very nice as well. (I have to tell Bill the one I gifted him is the prettiest so he will stop asking me to do dovetail joints on one of them. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: )
That would be this one and with both of FLTWS's amps some trading was involved. I was pleased that he kept this one after selling a lot of his audio gear.

I will build one more for myself but I need to put a lot of thought into the cabinet work, most likely it will be birdseye maple. Bill's was art deco oriented, now I want to borrow a bit from Frank Lloyd Wright.

walnut amp 3.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #111,785 of 150,874
Does anyone know if the Gjallarhorn can be stacked on Lokius? If so can either Lyr or Jot be stacked on Bifrost2?
Not certain about Gjallarhorn on Lokius as the Lokius FAQs state:

Matches the size of Modius and Magnius, and the footprint of Asgard, Jotunheim, and Lyr. This means it looks good in a stack—though be careful when stacking on top of components with internal transformers like Asgard, Jotunheim, and Lyr.​
Wait a sec, “be careful when stacking on components with internal transformers?” What?​
Lokius is an inductor-capacitor equalizer. Meaning it uses inductors. Inductors are coils of wire. Think of them like little antennas. They will pick up stray magnetic field from other components if they are too close. This is why people sell things like “racks” and “stands” to put your equipment on.​

There is a similar warning in the Lokius’s manual. Obviously, Gjallarhorn has a more powerful transformer than Asgard, Jotunheim, or Lyr. However, it is a toroidal transformer which has different magnetic field characteristics than than the EI transformers in the head amps, so it is not clear if there will be an issue. Note that the issue would be one of potential noise rather than damage. It would be best to ask the question at info@schiit.com who should be able to answer if it is an issue.

As others have mentioned the head amps can be stacked on Bifrost 2.

Nigel

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #111,786 of 150,874
It was very nice as well. (I have to tell Bill the one I gifted him is the prettiest so he will stop asking me to do dovetail joints on one of them. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: )
That would be this one and with both of FLTWS's amps some trading was involved. I was pleased that he kept this one after selling a lot of his audio gear.

I will build one more for myself but I need to put a lot of thought into the cabinet work, most likely it will be birdseye maple.

walnut amp 3.jpg
Man, I didn't get any VU meters even though I clearly checked that option on the free gift order form. Sigh. However, mine is made of maple, and while beauty is always in the eye of the beholder there's no disputing that maple is the best sounding wood. 🤣

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #111,787 of 150,874
Man, I didn't get any VU meters even though I clearly checked that option on the free gift order form. Sigh. However, mine is made of maple, and while beauty is always in the eye of the beholder there's no disputing that maple is the best sounding wood. 🤣
Now that would be a fun experiment, I could make you a some mini radials, one in maple, five others in cherry, walnut, padauk, oak, and tulip poplar. I would leave the insides original but put about 15 coats of piano black lacquer on the outside and you have to tell me which speaker is made with maple. You would not be able to see the inside of the speakers of course and with enough lacquer the grain of the wood would be concealed. Pick the right speaker and I would build you a second one to match. Pick wrong and you pay for all materials, labor, and a new cat toy for Finnegan. :ksc75smile:

Once again I am being facetious, I do not paint fine hardwoods, ever. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #111,788 of 150,874
That side-saddle design of the Tiger Maple box may not have provided enough space under the hood for meters and the accompanying circuitry. Although had my ears not gone wonky I might have ordered a 3rd Incvbvs with that tiger maple and the dark fitted corner feet. The two box one I had was Birdseye Maple with black accents. (The top of the meter box was removable and Tom made me an ebony wood insert for some added contrast.
GetAttachmentThumbnail
1677432208873.png

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #111,789 of 150,874
Um I WAS being facetious.🤪🤪
Oh...I thought so! :beerchug:But like you, I enjoy film be it historical or hysterical in content. One of my all-time favorites is "Sullivan's Travels" and not just because of the performances of the loverly Veronica Lake and the equally handsome Joel McCrea but also the supporting cast and the content which pointed out the prevailingly preachable attitude of many film makers then and especially now. Dammit! Now I must watch it again!

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #111,790 of 150,874
Now that would be a fun experiment, I could make you a some mini radials, one in maple, five others in cherry, walnut, padauk, oak, and tulip poplar. I would leave the insides original but put about 15 coats of piano black lacquer on the outside and you have to tell me which speaker is made with maple. You would not be able to see the inside of the speakers of course and with enough lacquer the grain of the wood would be concealed. Pick the right speaker and I would build you a second one to match. Pick wrong and you pay for all materials, labor, and a new cat toy for Finnegan. :ksc75smile:
You really had to up the ante, didn't you? IIRC, his last "toy" was a $400 GEC.

And none in cardboard? How am I supposed to calibrate my ears? 🤣

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #111,791 of 150,874

I will build one more for myself but I need to put a lot of thought into the cabinet work, most likely it will be birdseye maple. Bill's was art deco oriented, now I want to borrow a bit from Frank Lloyd Wright.

walnut amp 3.jpg
6321396_1_x.jpg

These are fitting companion pieces to your stunning amplification creation, my friend. My fixation on that which is nigh on a century old is doubtless why my mother and aunties call me the family "old soul". There are times when I think that it is as was told me once that I was born too late. Again.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #111,792 of 150,874
2023, Chapter 2
Less Power, More Better

-edit-
Great chapter, interesting new amps, but more importantly "boominization" is my new favorite word. :)

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #111,794 of 150,874
Other than cable management (which I am about to do) is there anything about this that would drive you a bit crazy??
Do you prefer the Modi to the Unitiqute's built-in DAC? I owned a Unitiqute when I started my digital audio journey over a decade ago, it sounded pretty good as I recall.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #111,795 of 150,874
Other than cable management (which I am about to do) is there anything about this that would drive you a bit crazy??

Not at all. From an electromagnetic point of view the more random the better. Parallel cables present the worst case for interference, orthogonal intersections the best.

I won't bother taking pictures of my cable loom.

:beerchug:
jC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back