Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #111,676 of 150,600
Definitely consider the NC Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), which has many young and old techies and artists and is still the top 1 or 2 places for growth in the US, even in current times. It's an easy day's drive from all the big population centers from NYC/DC to Atlanta/Jacksonville. It's also been a market dominated by Audio Advice for 20 years (a good company, but the epitome of the dealer model), and a lot of local demand is likely built up for a non-dealer model. Audio Advice recently held its first Audiophile conference, and everyone was very impressed at the turnout; it almost filled the conference center. BTW, as someone who was in a very similar situation as you with a startup that ground its way to success, let me say your view and approach to big shows is spot on! Don't get tempted; they're not for Schiit.
I'll come up from Florida!

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #111,677 of 150,600
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #111,679 of 150,600
I could just follow Google maps to Cowen’s cardboard mountain, it should be easy to find.😁

Are you sure you aren't making a mountain out of a molehill...? 🤣

mole-day-happy-mole-day.gif

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #111,680 of 150,600
True story: Our home came with a really nice pool table in a room in the finished basement that was designed for it. It was a selling point for me, a former teenage pool-hall rat. 2 sibling cats later and the cover staying on it most of the time and interests changing, we got rid of it 2 years ago. Now its former space is a multi-purpose room: photo studio for me, pup training space for my wife, place to assemble big projects etc. I really should post photos of the cats sometime...
1917 Brunswick ex-pool hall table with ball return. Grandfather purchased, and I still love to play. But yeah, tough to find a house in CA (no basements) with a room big enough. If you’re a snooker fan, just don’t…

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #111,681 of 150,600
Question, I'm looking at the Audio Precision report & I see SINAD & THD....but I'm not smart enough to calculate SINAD (AmirNad) @ 5 watts 1Khz and 4 ohms....looking for the ASR score for petty reasons. :wink:
PS. My 10 watt Schiit amp arrives Monday. Will compare to Aiyima A07 & Van Alstine SET 120 power amp if anyone cares.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #111,682 of 150,600
If it’s Asheville I can vouch for 12 Bones bbq though others were just as highly recommended.
Recommended by whom, North Carolinians? Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Request for @Jason Stoddard: please, don't release chapters on days when I'm away from my computer, it makes it hard to keep up.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #111,683 of 150,600
Definitely consider the NC Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), which has many young and old techies and artists and is still the top 1 or 2 places for growth in the US, even in current times. It's an easy day's drive from all the big population centers from NYC/DC to Atlanta/Jacksonville. It's also been a market dominated by Audio Advice for 20 years (a good company, but the epitome of the dealer model), and a lot of local demand is likely built up for a non-dealer model. Audio Advice recently held its first Audiophile conference, and everyone was very impressed at the turnout; it almost filled the conference center. BTW, as someone who was in a very similar situation as you with a startup that ground its way to success, let me say your view and approach to big shows is spot on! Don't get tempted; they're not for Schiit.
Maybe closer to 30? I bought a Theta from Randy at their first store (Western Blvd) around 1991 IIRC. They have a store near Charlotte now too, but it's heavily home theater oriented.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #111,684 of 150,600
Ok, so it looks like there is some interest in an NC gathering. How do we coordinate/organize? IIRC there was a separate forum on here for the CanJam in Charlotte - anyone know how to create a forum for an NC gathering?

Asheboro maybe the geo centre, but that's about all it has going for it other than the zoo (which IS fabulous) and an aviation museum I haven't made yet!
My vote would be for the triangle or I would travel to Asheville or the mountains, though logistics (and getting Jason there....) might be more challenging!
If you are up for an NC gathering please indicate interest (that's not a commitment, just interest). I'm going wandering next week till the end of March, but will be online and am prepared to help with logistics and organizing. I wrote to Denise today to get details of what's involved in SchiitKit logistics etc......

Cheers

Graham
So you wait until I move, and then organize a meet? Fine. I'm not offended. I'll just have to find another venue to give away all these tubes. 🤣 🤣

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #111,687 of 150,600
Yep .. my wristwatch says 'Made in Germany' but the movement (the key part) is Swiss made.
More fun stuff: a pair of 1960's 6AS7G tubes. Labeled as Amperex, except that Amperex never made a 6AS7G tube. They were actually made by Svetlana (a Russian manufacturer), yet show they were made in England. With the cold war at its peak back then, I'm pretty sure Svetlana didn't have a factory in England. 🤣

6AS7G Amperex 2.jpg

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #111,688 of 150,600
I could just follow Google maps to Cowen’s cardboard mountain, it should be easy to find.😁
Yeah, can be seen for miles. The flashing red light on top was required by the FAA due to height. 🤣

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #111,690 of 150,600
I had the Trenner & Friedl Sun for a week on home audition 4 years ago, as a candidate for a nearfield system I was putting together. Being tiny (8"high) and coaxial,
When I listened to them "tiny" was a hard requirement. Then we moved!

I heard them from about 8-9ft away and they sounded very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back