Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #111,586 of 152,867
Would the Gjallarhorn power my Human 81 speakers (8" woofers) in an apartment setting? Currently have a Vidar but looking for something smaller and lightweight. I'll use a Sys & Bifrost 2 and a Loki Mini+ with it. Love the Sys! I sit about 7-8' from the speakers.

• Its efficiency will make the most of smaller amplifiers - at 89 dB for 1 watt at 1 meter, a 30 to 50 watt/channel system will be quite impressive in average sized rooms.
Human 81

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #111,587 of 152,867
Would the Gjallarhorn power my Human 81 speakers (8" woofers) in an apartment setting? Currently have a Vidar but looking for something smaller and lightweight. I'll use a Sys & Bifrost 2 and a Loki Mini+ with it. Love the Sys! I sit about 7-8' from the speakers.

• Its efficiency will make the most of smaller amplifiers - at 89 dB for 1 watt at 1 meter, a 30 to 50 watt/channel system will be quite impressive in average sized rooms.
Human 81
what volume settings are you currently using with Sys and Vidar? if ~11:00 setting or much lower, then Gjallarhorn should work.

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #111,588 of 152,867
what volume settings are you currently using with Sys and Vidar? if ~11:00 setting or much lower, then Gjallarhorn should work.
I think it would depend on the taper of the pot in sys more so than it's position, and the relative gains of the amps. Most audio pots are log tapers, so it's not necessarily a linear relationship to the power output on a Vidar vs Gjallarhorn (eg. 11 oclock probably isn't 40% of 100W for the vidar or 40% of 10w for the Gjallarhorn - more likely it's 5-10%). And then if the gain on the two amps are about the same, they would be the same output. Where Vidar will get ahead is it ability to go louder and have more headroom at the upper bounds of the sys' volume control.

If you have a smartphone, get an app for checking sound levels. What are you currently getting for normal listening SPLs in your setup? If you then know the efficiency of your speakers you can approximately reverse engineer the power output you are using.

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #111,590 of 152,867
I think it would depend on the taper of the pot in sys more so than it's position, and the relative gains of the amps. Most audio pots are log tapers, so it's not necessarily a linear relationship to the power output on a Vidar vs Gjallarhorn (eg. 11 oclock probably isn't 40% of 100W for the vidar or 40% of 10w for the Gjallarhorn - more likely it's 5-10%). And then if the gain on the two amps are about the same, they would be the same output. Where Vidar will get ahead is it ability to go louder and have more headroom at the upper bounds of the sys' volume control.

If you have a smartphone, get an app for checking sound levels. What are you currently getting for normal listening SPLs in your setup? If you then know the efficiency of your speakers you can approximately reverse engineer the power output you are using.
I'm in an apartment and play at low volumes, not even worth measuring. I use the Loki+ to add some bass back in. The Vidar and speakers are just coasting along.

Feb 24, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #111,591 of 152,867
Bonjour! Celius 202, about 20 years old. Even though they are 92db efficient, driven by the Tyrs, volume on Freya is generally at 12 to 1 o'clock (1200 to 1300 for those in Europe.)
Mine are Lyrr 222, about same age and I must admit they are a perfect combo with my BF2OG/Ragnarok2

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #111,593 of 152,867
Gjallarhorn may be the ticket for Klipsch Heritage Speakers - Would like a Gjallarhorn vs Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp Shootout :sunglasses:
A good idea, but not for here. Jason/Schiit does not comment on other folk’s products, good, bad, or indifferent. A comparison test here would violate that, even if the company were not involved. There are other forums on Head-Fi and elsewhere where that would be cool to see though.

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #111,594 of 152,867
I am thinking about emailing Denise about getting the SchiitKit sent out to North Carolina. I have access to a couple of locations in Alleghany County (Roaring Gap/Sparta area) that might work, or perhaps in the Triad area. But Before I do that, please let me know your interest if you live in the Carolinas/VA/Eastern TN area, thanks.

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #111,595 of 152,867
@L0rdGwyn,

I do follow your thread, just a lurker, but I am impressed by your different builds/projects and how quickly you are able to bring them to fruition.

My current favorite DAC is a Sonic Frontiers Processor 3 that has had the SE+ upgrades done by Parts Connexion.

2NZKwv8__26420.1594999453.jpg
2CrmXG3__84264.1594999453.jpg

Well thanks for following along, I appreciate it. Things are probably going to be moving more slowly for a while due to work obligations. Also, after 3 years of working on DIY projects at a breakneck pace, I am losing stamina lol. That looks like a wonderul DAC, I'd love to hear it some day.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #111,598 of 152,867
Coincidentally for the past month, I have been randomly shopping for a pair of nearfield studio monitors speakers to upgrade the JBL LSR305s which I have been using as my computer speakers for the past 5 years and then Schiit's next products turn out to be desktop speaker amps!

Does anyone have recommendations for smallish passive nearfield studio monitors that I can power with the Schiit Rekkr? Reason why I'm asking for studio monitors is because my sub is a studio sub so I probably can't pair it with non studio monitors (i think).

Just realized I made a mistake in my thinking. The speakers will be connected to the amp while my studio sub will also be connected to the amps.

So does anyone know if I'll be able to connect my studio sub to the Rekkr or the Gj?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back