Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #111,046 of 151,247
LOL! Seems the one at the top of the photo got stuck with the cheap seat. :smile:
Azzy’s the youngest, with all that entails.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #111,047 of 151,247
Fotons are cat toys, GEC’s are more of a special occasion treat.🤪
Fotons are not cat toys. Heathen.

I could send Comet some GE's, but I wouldn't want to offend @Evelyn Marie . And it would reduce your inheritance. 🤣

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #111,048 of 151,247
Hey gang… I have the Lyr+ and love it especially with headphones. Currently I use it also as a pre-amp with Aegir and Triangle bookshelves. The only input is a Bifrost DAC.
Now I’m hinking of moving the Lyr+ to another room as pure headphone amp and wonder if I should get another Lyr+ to act as pre-amp, or if it maybe would make sense to have one of the Saga’s instead with the Aegir. I want that form factor and also remote…
Any experiences or thoughts from you are most welcome!
I’d vote Saga. Why spend the extra for Lyr+?

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #111,049 of 151,247
Apparently our manners have deteriorated in audiogal's absence.

In typing this post I noticed her username is no longer active. :slight_frown:
Very sad to hear that. I sure hope she's doing OK and has just moved on to other things.

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #111,050 of 151,247
Fotons are not cat toys. Heathen.

I could send Comet some GE's, but I wouldn't want to offend @Evelyn Marie . And it would reduce your inheritance. 🤣
I guess I am wrong, Fotons are cheap cat toys, I stand corrected. :ksc75smile:

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #111,051 of 151,247
Hey gang… I have the Lyr+ and love it especially with headphones. Currently I use it also as a pre-amp with Aegir and Triangle bookshelves. The only input is a Bifrost DAC.
Now I’m hinking of moving the Lyr+ to another room as pure headphone amp and wonder if I should get another Lyr+ to act as pre-amp, or if it maybe would make sense to have one of the Saga’s instead with the Aegir. I want that form factor and also remote…
It depends on what you need. From a practical sense, Saga has more switchable inputs (4 vs 2) and also two outputs (but no headphone out). So if you want to be able to switch more inputs and perhaps another (RCA) output go Saga. If you’re happy with the inputs and output of the Lyr+ and want to be able to listen to headphones too, go for Lyr+. From a sonic sense, the Saga uses the tube a a buffer (gain of 1, or unity gain) while the Lyr+ has switchable gain with both levels having more gain than the Saga. Some people prefer higher gain perceiving it as sounding more engaging (including myself). My experience is with the Lyr3 though, I haven’t tried the Lyr+ nor Saga, so this might or might not apply to them (YMMV and all that).
Best way to choose is always to listen and decide for yourself with own ears (perhaps not the most helpful of advice, but true).

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #111,052 of 151,247
Nice set up you've got there!
I sometimes catch my self drooling over pictures of the Triangle Comete 40th's.

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #111,054 of 151,247
Ah that’s right! I forgot for a second that macOS is heavily used by industry professionals like filmmakers and audio engineers, among others. Makes sense then as to why the audio stack built into Apple’s operating systems is so good. I believe Apple’s audio stack is called Core Audio, but I forget as I haven’t used macOS in a long time. 😂

And yeah. Windows’ audio stack has never been particularly great, even when Microsoft introduced WASAPI (Windows Audio Session) with Windows Vista to try and improve / revamp their audio architecture. I wish Microsoft would put more engineering effort into their audio stack / architecture.
Yup. I've gone Mac and ain't going back (for audio, at least. I have 3 Windows systems and a Linux box or 2). I have a M1 Mac Mini running my main headphone Schiit stack and a Mac Studio Max in my hobby office driving my Schiit pile there. I'll get another Mini for the basement entertainment centre. I'm old enough to remember when Macintosh was an acronym for "Machine Always Crashes; If Not, The Operating System Hangs. 🙃

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #111,055 of 151,247
Just a random note...

Schiit Freya + N with Western Electric WE396A tubes in gain stage is... 😍
Noted, for when I finish with the astro-spending and can re-focus on the audio.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #111,056 of 151,247
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #111,058 of 151,247
Try searching head-fi (top right corner) for Saga+ lyr+ preamp, location=everywhere. Some insights there.

Generally, using tube as buffer (saga+) will sound less tubey than in a circuit with gain (lyr+)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #111,059 of 151,247
Let us know if you go for it.
I bid on it. Have to get it for the right price 😬 since I just bought the Vali too. Might have to unload my Magni Heresy, which will be tough. I like acquiring gear, not letting gear go.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #111,060 of 151,247
I bid on it. Have to get it for the right price 😬 since I just bought the Vali too. Might have to unload my Magni Heresy, which will be tough. I like acquiring gear, not letting gear go.
Did you try making an offer or just a regular bid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back