Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 18, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #110,897 of 150,790
If you know what the products are and their names because Jason told you, and he did not ask you to keep it a secret, could you kindly SPILL THE BEANS HERE so we can start talking about this stuff intelligently instead of Thing #1 and Thing #2? Thanks!
I don't know if Jason would appreciate that. Don't want to steal his thunder 🙂 Maybe sharing secrets at SchiitrMeets is a way to encourage ppl to come out.

I already felt a little weird talking about Syn but the cat was out of the bag on that one at that point.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #110,898 of 150,790
I was thinking about that. It has approx 1/4 inch pads on the bottom. I’ll look for 1in risers. Thank you for that feedback. I’m going to guess even though it runs hot, long listening sessions are fine.
Being class A, when turned on the OG Asgard will run hotter at when not driving headphones and cooler when used for a listening session. There should be no problem from heat even without risers, even if left on continuously.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #110,899 of 150,790
Being class A, when turned on the OG Asgard will run hotter at when not driving headphones and cooler when used for a listening session. There should be no problem from heat even without risers, even if left on continuously.
I’ll just keep things as they are then. Ty

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #110,901 of 150,790
I will have the tube source info later today. Visit www.radiomuseum.org for schematics and manuals to help you

I’m no expert, but you should have no problem finding replacements for those tubes on the internet. They seem pretty common. I ordered similar tubes from Brent Jessee earlier this year to restore this old GE AM radio. I also second the previously mentioned radiomuseum.org website, great for schematics and general info. Have fun!

Thanks, guys. I found the Radio Museum website, but no schematic. Of course, whenever a mechanical guy is dealing with electronics, user error is not just possible, but expected. I've been tracing wires and drawing a diagram for the past couple of nights. There will be "holes": some of the wires are disconnected or broken and a couple of passive components (e.g. resistors) are broken (in two) or melted.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #110,902 of 150,790
I definitely plan on investing in one of Schiit's tube amps eventually!! Tubes have always fascinated me but I decided to start off simple because of the fact that I only have mid-range headphones at the moment that I don't entirely think would benefit from tubes, haha, although knowing how good the SHP9500s are, I wouldn't be surprised if they would actually benefit from them.

Also unrelated but it seems my iPhone gives more volume and punch when connected to my Schiit stack compared to my PC running Windows. I don't know if its just the way Windows handles its audio stack, or what, but I think iOS's (and in turn macOS's) audio stack is better than the audio stack built into Windows. Really interesting.

Might invest in a Mac mini or something and move to Apple Music full time because to me Apple Music sounds the best compared to TIDAL and especially Spotify. We don't have Qobuz or anything here so Apple Music / TIDAL / Deezer are our only options, and Deezer isn't very good, sadly. 😕I obviously left out Spotify because it still lacks support for lossless / Hi-Fi audio, even despite the fact that Spotify announced several years ago that it was coming.
Even after having a Schiit amp for a while, my big revelation was when I tried an outboard DAC. The improvement using USB out from my DAP or computer over the analog out to my amp was shocking. I used to use a Mac Mini as my media server. Once it got old enough to start slowing down no matter what I did, I replaced it with a Windows laptop. I got tired of having to work in two operating systems. OS is just different enough from Windows to drive me crazy.

Shrug. My big rig is all packed up right now. But I have a nice listening space staked out in the new abode upon which no other family member may trod. Any encroachment attempts will be dealt with severely and harshly. 🤣
I heard reports on our local news somebody had been forced to eat NC BBQ. Please say you didn't treat your family so roughly.

If any of you live in the Houston, TX area, do you know of a store that has a nice selection of head-fi that you can listen with?

I’ve said before that I don’t need anymore than my HD600 but (as it is with this hobby) my curiosity has expanded and I’d like to try planars.
There used to be, a long time ago. Do an internet search for audio stores in Houston, there are a couple. One is off I-69 (Hwy 59 if you've lived in Houston more than a couple of years), near Hillcroft. They are open by appointment, if I remember correctly. Bricks and mortar stores for audio are getting hard to find.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #110,903 of 150,790
Does this version contain Unison? There is not mention of it, so I doubt it.
No. PCB pic shows C-Media Gen 2/Gen 3 chip which was pre-Unison

Unison multibit DAC module should have 32-bit Microchip PIC controller along with new TI DSP chip.

likely some more dev work to fit DAC module form factor & psu, plus first articles, etc. i would guess two or three months if everything goes smoothly

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #110,904 of 150,790
There used to be, a long time ago. Do an internet search for audio stores in Houston, there are a couple. One is off I-69 (Hwy 59 if you've lived in Houston more than a couple of years), near Hillcroft. They are open by appointment, if I remember correctly. Bricks and mortar stores for audio are getting hard to find.
Looks like the place you’re mentioning might be Grid HiFi and Home Theater. I will have to look more into them. Thank you

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #110,906 of 150,790
IMG_20230217_115654424~2.jpgIMG_20230217_114946233_HDR.jpgFlorida patio speakers bought new for $59.90 a pair 35 years ago. Four currently in service. Still going through high humidity and >90°F half the year. Best part is the black paper cones have faded to white!......who knew?
IMG_20230217_120740715.jpg

Heart of system is a high precision thermally monitored master volume control center built by school children Jason pressed into service a while back! For a total of 8 exterior speakers.

Seeing that bracket also reminds me that these were car speakers in an old Fargo van I owned for a minute and a half.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #110,907 of 150,790
For a small fee, I'll come over and help. As you can see, I'm a master of organization. 🤣

Desktop.jpg
I admire your advanced hierarchal storage skills. Unlike me, you have no need to apply to one of those prestigious online archeology schools or overspend on a GPR system just to find that pair of needle nose pliers. :sweat_smile:

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #110,909 of 150,790
Anyone have any experience with Infinity Kappa 9 speakers? I have been offered a set but no negotiations have occurred yet. Red oak, I have been told 175 lbs each.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #110,910 of 150,790
Film and record editing is a core market for Apple and has been for a long time. Apple puts a lot of work into keeping that market happy.

Windows "core market" is everything. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Ah that’s right! I forgot for a second that macOS is heavily used by industry professionals like filmmakers and audio engineers, among others. Makes sense then as to why the audio stack built into Apple’s operating systems is so good. I believe Apple’s audio stack is called Core Audio, but I forget as I haven’t used macOS in a long time. 😂

And yeah. Windows’ audio stack has never been particularly great, even when Microsoft introduced WASAPI (Windows Audio Session) with Windows Vista to try and improve / revamp their audio architecture. I wish Microsoft would put more engineering effort into their audio stack / architecture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back