Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #110,836 of 150,252
looks like Crazy Thing #1 and Crazy Thing #2 won't happen this week :slight_frown:

but good to know that TI-based megacomboburrito DSP filter is up and running --> MM2 lives on, hopefully Unison Multibit DAC module out soon.

perhaps Crazy Thing #3 (Mar or Apr now???) is using the TI or FPGA digital processing hardware...
Jason revealed during last week’s SchiitrMeet what those first two products will be exactly, and that they’ll most likely be out next week, not this week. And while we don’t know yet what that third, potentially industry defying/re-defining/sacred-cow-BBQ’ing box will do exactly, we do know that we can expect it in March-ish, that it’ll be priced at around $450, and that it has a name: Syn.*

So we don’t have to call these things Crazy Thing #1, #2 and #3 anymore. Unless you want to, of course. :wink:

* If memory serves, that is. Too lazy to check the stream right now. 😇
I’m 100% certain about the name, pretty sure about the $450-ish price point, and sorta positive-adjacent about the aimed-for March release window.
But could also have been May.
Something with M.
So it’ll probably be October. 😈
Of next year. 😈😈😈

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #110,837 of 150,252
With all that talk about vinyl, 8-track, reel-to-reel, and even cassettes, I'm surprised that my personal favorite of these "legacy" formats hasn't gotten any love yet: MiniDisc!

Back in the mid-to-late-ish 90s, I owned a silver Sharp MD-MS701 — and I absolutely loved that thing to bits. Those things sounded soooooo much better than cassettes, the player had fantastic battery life when compared to other physical media players like all the different Walkmans and Discmans my brother and all my friends had, it was considerably more compact than any other media format — and you had to try reeeeally hard to get the thing to skip. So it was perfect for me and my (in hindsight surprisingly active) teenage lifestyle!

Granted, the discs weren't as cheap as CD-R blanks, but you could erase and re-record to them literally hundreds of thousands of times without any degradation of reliability or quality. So for me, the six or seven discs that I had went a really long way. And they looked just so darn futuristic, too! Like something straight out of a sci-fi show.

That love affair didn't last long, though, as Apple released the first iPod just five or so years later. And as neat as that MiniDisc format was when compared to the other mobile media formats that I had access to back then, it simply couldn't compete with the convenience those newfangled file-based HDD and solid state players eventually offered.

So it was but a short love affair. But one that I look back to with rather fond memories. Because for a few short years, I listened to my music with (in the context of that time) perfect audio quality through a media format that made the "tech" they had on Star Trek TNG look like cheap plastic props … and it was glorious!
Good memories. I was all in on MD in the mid 90s. Mostly because it was a CD Walkman that never skipped and I could record live shows with it. Mine still work (as well as their rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries). I still use my Sony MD players on rare occasions.

F32D36D2-A58F-429F-B8B7-FBF9C686C40B.jpeg

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #110,838 of 150,252
I have given my Schiit stuff to my son as I have, shall we say, a penchant for VU Meter equipped equipment that Schiit does not and NEVER will meet my wickedly wanton desire for. I gave him my Valhalla2 and Magnius, the latter of which works fine with the Modius I had already given him as a present. They worked just fine but I could no longer tolerate the lack of VU Meters on the V2 or the Magnius, especially so the former a it has TUBES, glorious TUBES!

But as Lil' Abner used to say "I has my druthers!" Schiit makes excellent stuff but I have a look that I prefer when I can get it. If I can not, I often just give stuff away rather than snapping it in half.

TEAC's A-6010 is a Reel to Reel tape player/recorder. Huge and heavy (relatively speaking, LOL!) 'tis what I term a becroak (as opposed to bespoke!) piece of audio equipment highly prized by beings such as I. I grew up around such stunning equipment. Alas that I must acquiesce to my spousal unit's cruel lack of taste in the finer things of Audio.
:beerchug:
I definitely plan on investing in one of Schiit's tube amps eventually!! Tubes have always fascinated me but I decided to start off simple because of the fact that I only have mid-range headphones at the moment that I don't entirely think would benefit from tubes, haha, although knowing how good the SHP9500s are, I wouldn't be surprised if they would actually benefit from them.

Also unrelated but it seems my iPhone gives more volume and punch when connected to my Schiit stack compared to my PC running Windows. I don't know if its just the way Windows handles its audio stack, or what, but I think iOS's (and in turn macOS's) audio stack is better than the audio stack built into Windows. Really interesting.

Might invest in a Mac mini or something and move to Apple Music full time because to me Apple Music sounds the best compared to TIDAL and especially Spotify. We don't have Qobuz or anything here so Apple Music / TIDAL / Deezer are our only options, and Deezer isn't very good, sadly. 😕 I obviously left out Spotify because it still lacks support for lossless / Hi-Fi audio, even despite the fact that Spotify announced several years ago that it was coming.

EDIT: I just realized that I also left out Amazon Music HD which was unintentional, but AMHD has an abysmal user interface IMO 🙃

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #110,841 of 150,252
Syn is the goddess of defensive refusal. She guards the door to the temple. Wonder the significance 🤔
It’s also a Norse-sounding play on the word “sin” as a name for a product that’s designed to break with long-standing traditions in ways that should raise a few eyebrows in the industry.
Or not.
We will see.

It’s also Schiit we’re talking about here, so to paraphrase Pulp Fiction: “I’m American, honey. Our names don’t mean Schiit.”
😜

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #110,843 of 150,252
I definitely plan on investing in one of Schiit's tube amps eventually!! Tubes have always fascinated me but I decided to start off simple because of the fact that I only have mid-range headphones at the moment that I don't entirely think would benefit from tubes, haha, although knowing how good the SHP9500s are, I wouldn't be surprised if they would actually benefit from them.

Also unrelated but it seems my iPhone gives more volume and punch when connected to my Schiit stack compared to my PC running Windows. I don't know if its just the way Windows handles its audio stack, or what, but I think iOS's (and in turn macOS's) audio stack is better than the audio stack built into Windows. Really interesting.

Might invest in a Mac mini or something and move to Apple Music full time because to me Apple Music sounds the best compared to TIDAL and especially Spotify. We don't have Qobuz or anything here so Apple Music / TIDAL / Deezer are our only options, and Deezer isn't very good, sadly. 😕I obviously left out Spotify because it still lacks support for lossless / Hi-Fi audio, even despite the fact that Spotify announced several years ago that it was coming.
I think of it this way. The equipment is an investment in you. The music and the way it makes you feel is the return on that investment. I cannot hear The Spinners sing "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" without falling in love. I could hear it on a beat up AM radio broadcasting "American Top 40" and the result is the same. I can not hear any difference in an Mp3 and a Hi Res version. What I can hear is the song. What I can feel is the memories.

Has anyone here ever noticed that when someone suddenly dies so many people want to know how they died. What did they die of or from? I would much rather know how they lived. And what their favorite song was and if possible, why it was their favorite. As I have said here before, I never "listen" to the equipment, I listen to the song. And I look at the equipment because looks are important (to me!) as I try to choose much of what I own for how it brings out the kid in me. And this kid likes VU Meters and turntables, CDs, Cassettes and more. I am ramblin' again but that is to be expected of an old road toad.

Enjoy your soundtrack young lady. Add to it over the span of your years and share it with those you love and who in turn, love you. This place and the folks in it are just a part of what lies ahead for you. G'Nite.

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #110,844 of 150,252
Jason revealed during last week’s SchiitrMeet what those first two products will be exactly, and that they’ll most likely be out next week, not this week. And while we don’t know yet what that third, potentially industry defying/re-defining/sacred-cow-BBQ’ing box will do exactly, we do know that we can expect it in March-ish, that it’ll be priced at around $450, and that it has a name: Syn.*

So we don’t have to call these things Crazy Thing #1, #2 and #3 anymore. Unless you want to, of course. :wink:

* If memory serves, that is. Too lazy to check the stream right now. 😇
I’m 100% certain about the name, pretty sure about the $450-ish price point, and sorta positive-adjacent about the aimed-for March release window.
But could also have been May.
Something with M.
So it’ll probably be October. 😈
Of next year. 😈😈😈

Just reaching here - Was that 'Syn' or maybe 'Sin', short for Schiit's own delta-sigma modulator aka "Singularity™ "?

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #110,846 of 150,252
Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #110,848 of 150,252
I’m having trouble finding this style splitter (unless I’m misunderstanding what it is)

Do you have a pic or link of the exact combo you mean?

Ideally you'd find something like this (2x 1-male to 2-male as a combined cable):
Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 11.17.01 PM.png

Realistically you'll find things like this (2x 1-male to 2-male as individual cables):
Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 11.16.42 PM.png

These are often also marketed as subwoofer cables
And it's also possible that you'll need to mix and match cables to get the configuration that you want
Take stock of what cables you already have on hand, lay them out on the table, and fill in the missing pieces

Pay attention to:
- length of cable on either side of the split (enough play to place your amps how you want to)
- cable termination type (you eventually need to plug one end into the DAC and the other ends into both amps)

[edit] - found an example of how someone did this here: Y-split RCA to two amps

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #110,849 of 150,252
With Holo Red, you get all of the above. Very well reviewed by folks I trust, and cheaper than one might expect from Holo. But to be real, a simple Pi 4 running one of the Linux-based software distributions into a Unison Schiit DAC is likely competitive at a sma
Coming soon.....
Normally, I’d reply with: “groan!” - but that would only add fuel to the fire you are already tossing accelerant on…

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #110,850 of 150,252
With all that talk about vinyl, 8-track, reel-to-reel, and even cassettes, I'm surprised that my personal favorite of these "legacy" formats hasn't gotten any love yet: MiniDisc!

Back in the mid-to-late-ish 90s, I owned a silver Sharp MD-MS701 — and I absolutely loved that thing to bits. Those things sounded soooooo much better than cassettes, the player had fantastic battery life when compared to other physical media players like all the different Walkmans and Discmans my brother and all my friends had, it was considerably more compact than any other media format — and you had to try reeeeally hard to get the thing to skip. So it was perfect for me and my (in hindsight surprisingly active) teenage lifestyle!

Granted, the discs weren't as cheap as CD-R blanks, but you could erase and re-record to them literally hundreds of thousands of times without any degradation of reliability or quality. So for me, the six or seven discs that I had went a really long way. And they looked just so darn futuristic, too! Like something straight out of a sci-fi show.

That love affair didn't last long, though, as Apple released the first iPod just five or so years later. And as neat as that MiniDisc format was when compared to the other mobile media formats that I had access to back then, it simply couldn't compete with the convenience those newfangled file-based HDD and solid state players eventually offered.

So it was but a short love affair. But one that I look back to with rather fond memories. Because for a few short years, I listened to my music with (in the context of that time) perfect audio quality through a media format that made the "tech" they had on Star Trek TNG look like cheap plastic props … and it was glorious!

I was on a tear recently buying up MD/HiMD Decks and portables to complement what I dug out of my stash. They really are great units/tech. Late 90's early 00's Sony/Sharp/Panny miniaturization makes modern tech look boring in comparison and there is still something great about the tactile nature of MD. Web MiniDisc Pro is a great tool for burning MD's in an easy modern way that doesn't involve SonicStage. It works well with most of the NetMD portables/decks now. There's also been a decent resurgence of MD releases from a bunch of synthwave artists on Bandcamp, complete with fully UV printed disks.

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_174259.jpg
    IMG_20221116_174259.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230117_133515.jpg
    IMG_20230117_133515.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230218_221224.png
    IMG_20230218_221224.png
    828.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back