Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #110,566 of 150,772
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #110,567 of 150,772
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #110,568 of 150,772
Urd rhymes with GERD - a stupid problem I've dealt with most my life. Can Urd solve my GERD? I have a few hundred CD's that haven't spun in a while. The Unison input is cool. You can run your PC into the CD Spinner at the same performance level then out to your DAC.

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #110,569 of 150,772
I know that hope is not a strategy, but... URD, pls.
Urd is coming. Jason recently mentioned a couple of things about gathering parts for Urd production, especially the metal tray CD-transports. Stay strong my friend. :smirk_cat:

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #110,570 of 150,772

Attachments

• Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul.jpg
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #110,571 of 150,772
Urd is way too expensive to justify tossing a currently good CD player used as a transport with toslink output. Any decent player should work fine and provide a good enough bitstream that any good DAC with de-jitter tech can further clean and restore.

Urd adds a USB hub and that may be nice but it will be an expensive one.

Now... if Schiit states/proves that a redbook CD output is better via USB as compared to a coax or toslink output that is different. But I doubt it.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #110,573 of 150,772
Do you have a screenshot or photo to share?
I'm going with a dynamic range expander and spatial retrieval system akin to Carver Sonic Holography. :wink:

Feb 14, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #110,574 of 150,772
Urd is way too expensive to justify tossing a currently good CD player used as a transport with toslink output. Any decent player should work fine and provide a good enough bitstream that any good DAC with de-jitter tech can further clean and restore.
Yeah, I know that it's expensive relative to other CD transports, but AFAIK it's not just another CD transport. It's a CD transport with a Unison USB hub, and my OG Yggy is an Analog 2 version with Unison USB. The only other thing that I will need will be a USB "B" to "C" cable, and I'll have a full Unison chain.

Currently using a physically enormous Musical Fidelity A308CR CD player as a transport; digital out via Analysis Plus Black digital coax to Yggy. It sounds really, really good; it rivals my AURALiC streamer. Have done several non-blind, side-by-side comparos: CD vs Tidal stream vs LP, playing the same release of the same song. Even though they are hard to level-match, I can tell you that the Tidal stream always comes in 3rd place, in every case, including when auditioned by "non-audiophool" listeners... <g>

I will get an URD because:
  • I want a smaller CD transport that will easily fit into my rack
    • The A308CR is almost as big as the Furman IT-Reference 20i power supply!
    • To fit it into one of the three rack bays, I would need to juggle shelves and move my LG OLED up the wall 6-8"
      • ...and that would be a major PITA
      • ...and it would damage the overall feng shui of the current rack layout
  • URD will give me a CD transport that connects to Yggy, Unison-to-Unison...
    • And both Mike and Jason say that it's worth hearing
    • And I'm such a fanboi that I'll pay for that opportunity :innocent:
Urd adds a USB hub and that may be nice but it will be an expensive one.
Yes, that's a bonus and I will definitely try it. The AURALiC is currently connected to Yggy via AES/EBU, mainly because previous attempts at connecting it to Yggy via USB did not deliver results that were as good as the AES/EBU connection. But then, the AURALiC does not have a Unison USB transceiver, and the end goal here is a Unison-to-Unison connection. #expensive_usb_hub

I will definitely try connecting the AURALiC's USB output to one of Urd's USB inputs... we'll see if that changes the sound quality / presentation at all. I believe that it will change things, and in a positive way. But I'm generally an optimist when it comes to Schiit like this.

Now... if Schiit states/proves that a redbook CD output is better via USB as compared to a coax or toslink output that is different. But I doubt it.
Stated? Yes, I believe that Jason did say that more than once; that he heard a marked difference in sound quality with a full Unison source-to-DAC chain.
Someone out there with a better memory than me can likely point you to the video that he said it in...

Proves? If only they could find an objective method to prove this... classic electrical measurements prove little or nothing, otherwise Folkvangr wouldn't exist. :) Seriously, if it sounds better to me... only my wallet suffers. I'm so cheap that I squeak; audio equipment is my only vice.

I'll let you guys know what I discover, as soon as I get my hands on Urd.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #110,578 of 150,772
It might be a good time for the Urd...

This launch comes following analysis from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), which reported that in 2021, shipments of compact discs rose for the first time in 17 years – the first time CD sales were on the increase since 2004. Manufacturers are now responding with the launch of new players.

Denon Launches CD-1700NE as CDs Set to Make Comeback​

By
IFA Newsroom
-
February 7, 2023
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://dealerscope.com/2023/02/denon-launches-cd-1700ne-as-cds-set-to-make-comeback/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Denon+Launches+CD-1700NE+as+CDs+Set+to+Make+Comeback&url=https://dealerscope.com/2023/02/denon-launches-cd-1700ne-as-cds-set-to-make-comeback/&via=Dealerscope
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArtic...aunches+CD-1700NE+as+CDs+Set+to+Make+Comeback

https://dealerscope.com/2023/02/denon-launches-cd-1700ne-as-cds-set-to-make-comeback/

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #110,579 of 150,772
I honestly dont know if you are being serious or making a joke.
Serious, but It's a wild-ass guess born of wishful thinking and based on nothing more than that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back