Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 11, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #110,386 of 150,870
Rotary Engines = High Performance & High Maintenance
Vacuum Tubes = High Sound Quality & High Maintenance

Hmm, I starting to see a trend here.
…with a rotary engine, should you have used a toroidal transformer?…or was yours OTL?… Operating Torque-Less… 🤣🤣

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #110,387 of 150,870
Well, I've spent about half an hour of quality time with the prototype earlier tonight.
Sounds pretty darn good!
Does this help? 😁
Really, it would help more if I could have a few weeks with the prototype.

But I again stray on topic.

Back off, semi: if you need a place to store some tubes, and you are eyeing one of these tube caddies they sell on ebay (repairmen used to use them to visit homes and repair tvs, can you imagine?), you should know these caddies are meant for a full days work!

In other words, they won't be allowed as a carry on.

To be clearer, sucker's are big!

5-6 cubic feet.

It's heavy EMPTY.

Imagine the guys walking around neighborhoods in Manhattan, taking the subway and the bus, to replace tubes!

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #110,388 of 150,870
Well, my open box “very good” condition AT LP7 turntable from Amazon came a went. The dust cover was broken, no biggie just get a new one but the tonearm was bent. Adios. I really liked everything about that table except the tonearm was pretty damn light. Decided to go for a Pioneer PLX-1000 open box (yeah I’m cheap as possible) from Beards & Hats condition10 for $580. Always great results with them so fingers crossed.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #110,389 of 150,870
The diesel Rabbit was 54 hp I think (I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but recall many hp,torque and 0-60 times of cars from that era). The Sunfire? Those were dark, dark days for GM.

Apologies to any owners: I remember in the mid 90's, driving a loaner manual Golf diesel. If you were trying/wanted/needed to punish someone, make them drive this car for a suitable duration. Didn't matter what gear you were in, it was the wrong one. City, highway as soon as the traffic or terrain changed, you were always hunting for another gear.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #110,390 of 150,870
In the Schiitr? Thy do (or did when I was there last). They didn't impress me at all. Then I heard them in the local audio store, totally different impression.

It's crazy how much speaker/listener placement changes what is heard, even in a treated room, on good equipment. My wife and I stopped on a whim in a dealer a few months ago, some B&W 801 D4s on Dan D'Agostino amplification were set up. We listened a while, and walking out my wife said "I've never heard brass instruments sound so right, but the bass is just awful". She was right - the bass was loose and boomy. Obviously not the speaker's or amp's fault. And not the room's either - it's treated and I've heard other speakers there sound great. It was where the speakers (and we) were put.

Same story, different dealer: after demoing some speakers, we asked if we could listen, just for fun, to the big boys. Meaning Wilson Chromosonic XVXs on Dan D'Agostino monoblocks. Treated room, with 2 chairs lined up fighter-pilot style. I started in the back, and after about 15 min, while it was a pretty amazing sound, I was feeling the bass was not as precise as I had anticipated. Swapped to the front chair, problem solved.

So maybe don't write off the Tyrs just yet, they may not have had the chance to shine.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #110,392 of 150,870
I learnt to drive in a purple AMC Gremlin with a manual tranny in a hilly residential neighborhood. We weren't taught the uphill-starting trick with the hand brake.
The car was junk, but I am forever grateful for learning to drive a manual. Sadly, too many kids these days have no idea what driving is really like. :)

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #110,393 of 150,870
…with a rotary engine, should you have used a toroidal transformer?…or was yours OTL?… Operating Torque-Less… 🤣🤣
I have little direct experience with rotary's myself, so we'll have to let @bcowen answer that.

I was referring to the fact that many of the things that bring him joy, require a lot of nurturing and attention, AKA maintenance.

I did appreciate the OTL pun!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #110,394 of 150,870
I have little direct experience with rotary's myself, so we'll have to let @bcowen answer that.

I was referring to the fact that many of the things that bring him joy, require a lot of nurturing and attention, AKA maintenance.
Add:

Vinyl
Wife
Cats

Now the list is complete. 🤣

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #110,395 of 150,870
Apologies to any owners: I remember in the mid 90's, driving a loaner manual Golf diesel. If you were trying/wanted/needed to punish someone, make them drive this car for a suitable duration. Didn't matter what gear you were in, it was the wrong one. City, highway as soon as the traffic or terrain changed, you were always hunting for another gear.
Hmmm. Diesels are known for their wide torque band and are usually much more tolerant of "slogging" than gas powered cars.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #110,396 of 150,870
It's crazy how much speaker/listener placement changes what is heard, even in a treated room, on good equipment. My wife and I stopped on a whim in a dealer a few months ago, some B&W 801 D4s on Dan D'Agostino amplification were set up. We listened a while, and walking out my wife said "I've never heard brass instruments sound so right, but the bass is just awful". She was right - the bass was loose and boomy. Obviously not the speaker's or amp's fault. And not the room's either - it's treated and I've heard other speakers there sound great. It was where the speakers (and we) were put.

Same story, different dealer: after demoing some speakers, we asked if we could listen, just for fun, to the big boys. Meaning Wilson Chromosonic XVXs on Dan D'Agostino monoblocks. Treated room, with 2 chairs lined up fighter-pilot style. I started in the back, and after about 15 min, while it was a pretty amazing sound, I was feeling the bass was not as precise as I had anticipated. Swapped to the front chair, problem solved.

So maybe don't write off the Tyrs just yet, they may not have had the chance to shine.
I didn't write them off, I bought them!

My point was that I didn't buy them when I heard them in the Schiitr. The Black Friday deal made me decide to take the risk, and with my home setup they are excellent.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #110,397 of 150,870
I learnt to drive in a purple AMC Gremlin with a manual tranny in a hilly residential neighborhood. We weren't taught the uphill-starting trick with the hand brake.
The car was junk, but I am forever grateful for learning to drive a manual. Sadly, too many kids these days have no idea what driving is really like. :)
I the UK if you pass your test in an automatic, you are not allowed to drive a stick!

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #110,398 of 150,870
In the Schiitr? Thy do (or did when I was there last). They didn't impress me at all. Then I heard them in the local audio store, totally different impression.
Maggies, especially large ones, need space, in their back and in their front. The larger the room the better.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #110,399 of 150,870
Excellent! Very Dr. Dolittle-ish (1967) not the atrocious Eddie Murphy travesty...:beerchug:. I have the soundtrack on vinyl!

The complete recordings of ‘At the Drop of a Hat’ and ‘At the Drop of Another Hat’ and other additional Flanders and Swan songs are available on CD and presumably on various streaming services that I do not use.

Regards, Nigel

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #110,400 of 150,870
Breaking News

Schiit is getting ready to announce a new turntable!

Sol - Paladin79 Edition

B09B3E99-4913-4D53-8D9D-DF3A3118092C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back