Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #109,802 of 150,476
Well, Jeff Bridges is a bit better actor than John Wayne...! :grinning:
A favorite western of mine is High Noon, remade as sci-fi with Sean Connery.....Outland.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #109,803 of 150,476
It was Mandy -- not Manky. :rolling_eyes:

"Oh, Mandy
Well, you came and you gave without taking
But I sent you away
Oh, Mandy
Well, you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today
Oh, Mandy."

I know it was a long time ago so Barry and I both forgive you. :D
Wait...it's Barry now? What happened to your rabid (nearly creepy) devotion to Michael Bolton? 🤣

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #109,804 of 150,476
Wait...it's Barry now? What happened to your rabid (nearly creepy) devotion to Michael Bolton? 🤣
I do love 'Office Space'. 😉

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #109,805 of 150,476
I’m going to take a wild guess that the cigars you’re talking about are not something you can just go get anymore?

I have an occasional cigar and enjoy Padron 1926 I think it is.

Really cool idea and work.
Cubans are not legal to bring into the US these days - hopefully that may change in the future.
+1 on the Padron 1926. My go-to is their Series 1964 ... they're close to the 1926. I once had a Family Reserve - 10yr aged tobacco - awesome.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #109,808 of 150,476
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #109,809 of 150,476
Since we're kind of talking about DVDs, I have a question. Actually a problem. I bought some BluRays of old James Bond movies - Sean Connery - for like $7/disc at Amazon. They are coded for Region A, as is my Sony DVD player. The discs, however, will not play. The message is they require a player coded for Region A. Which, my Sony is coded for. The Sony will play all other BDs and DVDs in the house, which is an extensive list - no problem. I tried updating the software, but it was up to date. I will appreciate any advice ... and thanks in advance.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #109,810 of 150,476
Since we're kind of talking about DVDs, I have a question. Actually a problem. I bought some BluRays of old James Bond movies - Sean Connery - for like $7/disc at Amazon. They are coded for Region A, as is my Sony DVD player. The discs, however, will not play. The message is they require a player coded for Region A. Which, my Sony is coded for. The Sony will play all other BDs and DVDs in the house, which is an extensive list - no problem. I tried updating the software, but it was up to date. I will appreciate any advice ... and thanks in advance.

They're not PAL encoded, are they?

JC

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #109,811 of 150,476
Cubans are not legal to bring into the US these days - hopefully that may change in the future.
+1 on the Padron 1926. My go-to is their Series 1964 ... they're close to the 1926. I once had a Family Reserve - 10yr aged tobacco - awesome.
The law changed in September 2020, prior to that a visitor to Cuba could bring back cigars or alcohol as best I know. Now as far as skirting the law, I have known Cuban cigars to be shipped from Canada to the US without the bands, later on the bands would arrive in an envelope. Where there is a will, there is a way. :ksc75smile:

David Letterman was fairly well known for smoking Cohiba Robustos. I have one of those cigar boxes somewhere, I always thought it a nicer size to house a small headphone amp.

iu

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #109,813 of 150,476
The law changed in September 2020, prior to that a visitor to Cuba could bring back cigars or alcohol as best I know. Now as far as skirting the law, I have known Cuban cigars to be shipped from Canada to the US without the bands, later on the bands would arrive in an envelope. Where there is a will, there is a way. :ksc75smile:

Just Canadians stepping up to help out through any prohibition.

JC

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #109,815 of 150,476
We're talking 1000x gain there. That's before your preamp (4-10x) and amp (10-20x). That's a metric ass-ton of gain. Yeah, you can get good relays, and maybe they're fine, but will the relay coils affect the signal? As in, will the tiny bit of ripple on the power supply running the relay be inductively coupled into the signal lines?
Surprised there isn't some kind of toggle relay... ie it just takes a pulse to switch it, then resting the coil is off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back