Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 3, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #109,741 of 155,122
mmmmmmm dead animal skin......

Also, I believe ZMF offers vegan suede which I think is a pretentious way to say microfiber, which of course is polyester..
Oh... polyester. I can tell my vegan friends it's safe to come out of hiding... uh... poor choice of words. ZMF doesn't use the skin of actual vegans. Good to know. :sweat_smile:

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #109,746 of 155,122
I just had a thought....whisky enhanced.......if vegan suede is made from polyester and polyester is made from oil and oil is a fossil fuel and fossil fuel comes from dead & decomposing plants & animals.... is vegan suede really vegan??
Is vegan suede really suede?
Though the alternatives are what ... nappy flap-o-polyester?

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #109,747 of 155,122
Now that I have just replaced my Freya S with a Freya+, one of those new oddball products will be a standalone tube buffer....

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #109,749 of 155,122
So I mentioned I was working on Mjolnir 3 production docs. I figured it would be easy, because I already had a folder with the metal drawings in there.

Except--those have nothing to do with where we landed, so they have to be 100% re-done.

And I figured I'd be fine with the BOM, because I always stuff the prototype from the BOM, then make notes on it, then use that for the final. Except I can't find it.

So it's gonna be one of those kind of days...

Oh.

And.

For the Schiitrmeet, here's what we'll do: let's compare Class AB, Continuity, and Class A (complementary) in three of the same amps. As in, we'll take 3 Aegirs. Two will have Continuity unhooked. One will be biased into Class AB, one will be biased into Class A. The Class A one won't last indefinitely without a fan on the heatsinks, but it should survive well enough. We'll do it blind.

I'll do a real announcement shortly.
This is awesome. I wish I could join, but a long way from east coast

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #109,751 of 155,122
I wonder, is the $ 450 item going to be valhalla 3 or a desktop speaker amp?
The only reason I haven’t bought the Valhalla 2 is the slight chassis difference between it and the Jot 2. They would be adjacent to each other on the desk, and it would bug me immensely. I realize the tubes make it considerably taller, but it’s the wrap-under difference in the chassis that has me hoping a Valhalla 3 comes out in the Jot 2/Bifrost chassis. But I think I read up there somewhere that the hinted-at products were things they hadn’t done before. Still. One can hope. 🤞

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #109,753 of 155,122
How does a Freya S - a preamp - pop speakers?!?
From the Freya S owner’s manual FAQ section.

I hear small pops when I change output modes.
This is completely normal with DC-coupled amplifiers. Freya S is DC-coupled (no capacitors in the signal path), so minor changes in DC level may make small pops.

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #109,754 of 155,122
None that I know of. Actually, I wrote Schiit about the pops from the Saga S and they said it was normal behavior with my type of speakers (high 90's dB sensitivity).

That's very strange to me. My Saga OG preamp doesn't pop when switching through inputs or modes. And my Martin Logan's are 91dB efficient. No pops through any of my AR speakers either. Relay clicks, and that's it. My son hates the relays, and I think it's OK. I like the sound. :laughing:

For reference, my amp is an Aragon 2004 MK II.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #109,755 of 155,122
I'm sitting here watching Lawrence of Arabia. If there was ever a movie that needed to be remade this is it. Modernize and overly dramatize the music, film it with modern wide angle, high def equipment, in the deepest, starkest deserts, and find someone equally weird to play El Awrence and it would be brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back