Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #108,077 of 150,446
You've never had Peking Cat? I must admit though, given a choice of entres Lamb is #1 and Duck is #1 over all other possibilities for me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #108,078 of 150,446
Since we moved here almost five years ago, we have been working to minimize lawns and non-NC native plants. Last year we had the Audubon Society audit us and they awarded us a very nice plaque which says "Bird Friendly Certified Habitat".
I asked where we should place it so that the birds could best read it. Blank faces.
Geez!

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #108,079 of 150,446
Well it finally happened, I got the email from Schiit this morning. Two in fact. Please send in your Yggy for upgrades.

Mind you, mine is a first production run Yggy, the original chassis. Sure it went in for the A2 upgrade, but this is different. When it comes back the innards will be in a sleek new case, ready for more upgrades. Black.

And it will have Unison USB, and I'll be ready to have my mind altered by a forthcoming Urd.

In the interim I have my Gumby in the main system. I want to give it time to settle before I share any listening observations of any consequence. Yet even now, some hours after making the shift, I can sense the Gumby is missing the mark of the Yggy.

Disclosure: The Gumby was moved from the BR system to the LR system in a timely manner. Gumby is set up with the same cables as Yggy, and that change-over was efficient.

:smile_cat:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #108,081 of 150,446
I'm interested but not sure yet how it will improve my system beyond being a great CD player.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #108,082 of 150,446
I'm interested but not sure yet how it will improve my system beyond being a great CD player.
Yeah, on the one hand it's hard for me to imagine it gets much better than a well built music server with an yggy over unison USB, but on the other hand cd transports are inherently less noisy beasts, so maybe less jitter. Maybe if I heard it I'd be blown away, so who knows!

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #108,083 of 150,446
Need some help with a quirk on my Modi Multibit 2. Will reach out to Schiit but also posting for advice:

My MM2 is wired to the Magni and an external amp (Lyngdorf TDAI-1120) via RCA splitters. The Lyngdorf amp is configured to go into standby after a preset timeout. However, the Lyngdorf refuses to go into standby with the MM2, despite no music playback. Didn't have this problem with the OG Modi Multibit.

Did some troubleshooting (all with no music playback), and as follows:

1) MM2 powered on (RCA split to both Magni and amp) - standby not working
2) MM2 powered on (direct connection to amp) - standby not working
3) MM2 powered off (direct connection to amp) - standby works
4) MM2 powered on (MM2 connected to Magni, amp connected via Magni preouts, max volume on Magni) - standby works

And another scenarios:
5) MM2 powered on (MM2 connected to Magni, amp connected via Magni preouts, music playing but volume control at 50-75%) - standby kicks in despite music being played (line out signal too low?)
6) MM2 powered on but no music played since power on - standby works
7) MM2 powered on, music played but stopped - standby not working

Based on the above, the Lyngdorf goes into standby when line out signal is below a threshold. But the MM2 line out voltage remains excessively high even when no music is played?!

Appreciate any thoughts!

MM2 has a standby mode? It's so little power that I would just live it on 24/7.

To clarify, there's no need for the MM2 to go into standby. However, the MM2 is preventing linked devices (amps etc) from doing so.

Schiit has replied that this is intended functionality but this is a big issue. All European electronics manufacturers are required to implement standby modes, as part of EU regulations.

Again, this wasn't an issue on the MM1 so hopefully it can be resolved via firmware.

https://commission.europa.eu/energy...roducts/mode-standby-and-networked-standby_en

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #108,086 of 150,446
Jan 13, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #108,087 of 150,446
Back when I was still contemplating purchase of URD I was curious to hear how much difference, if any, there was between AES and Unison output. I'm sure that careful attention has been paid in all aspects of the design but wanted to find out for myself if it made a difference in the sound, and if so, by how much.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #108,088 of 150,446
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #108,090 of 150,446
So how many of you are interested in the URD?
I am running a "getting-long-in-the-tooth" Oppo universal player into Yggy and the Oppo vibrates now when I use it, which is why I have held a hyperfocus on Urd. I am confident I'll get an improvement in sonics which is always a positive outcome. :smiley_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back