Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 24, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #106,501 of 151,047
Joyeux Noël à vous tous de la France ... (Merry Christmas to you all from France)

Your literary interventions throughout the year have been informative and entertaining ... thank-you.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #106,502 of 151,047
I tend to disagree with this statement and would posit that the B composers are the Best.
... once you exclude Brahms :ksc75smile:

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #106,503 of 151,047
Could be this is why DSD sounds so much better...?
No, most (all?) post-production is in PCM because DSD is not a DSP-friendly format (DSP on PCM is just fixed-point arithmetic).

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #106,506 of 151,047
I don't think that anyone is saying that all composers that start with B are the best. But with Bach and Beethoven, the B's are going to win any argument on that score.
And don't forget Beatles.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #106,507 of 151,047
Mine just came. Get to open it in the morning. Thanks Schiit, USPS and most importantly
IMG_1163(Edited).jpg
Santa. Merry Christmas.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #106,508 of 151,047
I agree with you. Only real quibble is the missed opportunity to really have "perfect music forever."

Maybe we can start making the RedBook replacement "perfect music perfectly forever" :) with a sample rate of 50-60KHz, that's what I would have done . Could be this is why DSD sounds so much better...?
I want to be clear about one thing, that I highly value well-recorded and well-engineered musical recordings, and I highly value accurate, detailed, and un-colored audio equipment with transparent sound. If everything is "perfect" up to about 6-8 kHz, but not audible above that frequency, what I am saying is that it doesn't usually make as much difference as most people think, at least for most music. Obviously, audiophiles tend to focus on "demo" or "evaluation" tracks that may have some sound above 6-8 kHz, but that is usually the main criteria that I use when choosing music to listen to.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #106,509 of 151,047
I have to let my Credit Card cool down a bit before getting a MM2.

It will be about $487 Canadian 🇨🇦 after exchange, FedEx, taxes, "brokerage".

I know it is worth it, but for comparison sake I can get HiFiman Edition XS for $505 Canadian no tax or brokerage on Aliexpress. I already got a great deal on some Grado RS2X locally instead, but you can see what I mean.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #106,510 of 151,047
And don't forget Beatles.
We were only talking about classical composers. But with regard to the Beatles, credit goes to the individual composer(s) of each song, not the group (Lennon, McCartney, Lennon and McCartney, etc.). There may be a few Beatle songs where all four got credit, I don't recall.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #106,511 of 151,047
We were only talking about classical composers. But with regard to the Beatles, credit goes to the individual composer(s) of each song, not the group (Lennon, McCartney, Lennon and McCartney, etc.). There may be a few Beatle songs where all four got credit, I don't recall.
My post was supposed to be humorous. :)

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #106,512 of 151,047
My post was supposed to be humorous. :)
Betallica, Buns n’ Broses, Bef Lebbard, … so bany othed classics.

Soddy, I have a cod. Habby Cdisthmas evedyone.

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #106,513 of 151,047
I ordered a DAC this morning but needed balanced output in a black case, so Bifrost it was.
I really struggled with springing for the OG Yiggy on close out, but in the end the cost difference will pay for an Urd, so they’ll be getting the money soon enough.
Smart move and not at all a compromise because with Schiit, the quality is there regardless of price. Excellent selection, sir!

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #106,514 of 151,047
I want to be clear about one thing, that I highly value well-recorded and well-engineered musical recordings, and I highly value accurate, detailed, and un-colored audio equipment with transparent sound. If everything is "perfect" up to about 6-8 kHz, but not audible above that frequency, what I am saying is that it doesn't usually make as much difference as most people think, at least for most music. Obviously, audiophiles tend to focus on "demo" or "evaluation" tracks that may have some sound above 6-8 kHz, but that is usually the main criteria that I use when choosing music to listen to.
Would it be safe to say that a great many instruments are often somewhat "masked" by their louder neighbors in the orchestra? This was one of the theories behind MiniDisc and DCC recordings, or so I recall. I liked both formats fine but then I can be something of a philistine. :ksc75smile:

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #106,515 of 151,047
I have to let my Credit Card cool down a bit before getting a MM2.

It will be about $487 Canadian 🇨🇦 after exchange, FedEx, taxes, "brokerage".

I know it is worth it, but for comparison sake I can get HiFiman Edition XS for $505 Canadian no tax or brokerage on Aliexpress. I already got a great deal on some Grado RS2X locally instead, but you can see what I mean.
Without headphones the sound is...Well, silent! Buy! Buy! Buy!:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back