Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #106,471 of 150,822
I personally would be very hesitant about making a definitive judgment about whether a flame exists, just by looking at it.

Methanol, which is used in some kinds of race cars, produces an invisible flame.

@Pondoro's story has stuck in my head for the past couple of days. I wondered how the Smart People could simply poo-poo the "if it looks like a flame and acts like a flame it must be a flame" paradigm. My thought is a flame is the oxidized and heated products of combustion, and whatever @Pondoro's team saw (or didn't see) was hot material like a plasma or maybe fluorescing material. Anyway, that's what I came up with.

Hydrogen and silane (SiH4) are also a challenge to detect when they're burning. Especially outside where UV and IR detectors can get confused by sunlight.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #106,472 of 150,822
I am not doubting that scientific paper. But I listen to (and enjoy) jazz, and even though I can't hear much above about 8 kHz, I don't feel in any way deprived when I listen to recorded music. There is more to music than just frequency response.
Sorry your hearing is at that level. Sometimes it is volume level and amplification certainly helps me. That and using quality circumaural headphones and loudspeakers. I can recall trying to help someone with a television that was producing a vibration at 15,750 hertz, I needed their help to pin point it and repair the issue. :ksc75smile:
It is also one of the reasons I like to get the opinions of younger people when my local group conducts blind listening comparisons, I am pragmatic about such things.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #106,473 of 150,822
Hi - You can find one online at places like Amazon:
Amazon 6 VAC power supplies.

I do not know the current needs of either of the devices you spoke of but it will be on the unit and you can match the output of the new power supply accordingly. Then, you need only match the plug your current power supply uses and more than a few come with mulitiple adapters that will allow you to do so easily.

I hope this was helpful to you. If you are unsure of getting advice from a toad, please check with others here that are far smarter than I on such matters. I do this all the time for folks that I meet in places like Best Buy that are not "tech" savvy and are even "slower" than I. It is nice to help others. I could not sleep and saw your post and just wanted to help out. All the best to you sir and...Thank you!

Most of the devices you reference put out 6 VDC, the Eitr and Wyrd need 6 VAC @ 1.5 A. The DC output devices will NOT work.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #106,474 of 150,822
Sorry your hearing is at that level. Sometimes it is volume level and amplification certainly helps me. That and using quality circumaural headphones and loudspeakers. I can recall trying to help someone with a television that was producing a vibration at 15,750 hertz, I needed their help to pin point it and repair the issue. :ksc75smile:
It is also one of the reasons I like to get the opinions of younger people when my local group conducts blind listening comparisons, I am pragmatic about such things.
Having high frequency hearing loss is one reason why it may be good to defer to younger reviewers. But on the other hand, if I can't hear the difference, why would I care, especially if there are not that many high frequency notes in most music? Plus there is much more to the evaluation of audio equipment accuracy and enjoyment than how well it plays notes above 5 kHz.

There are a lot of older reviewers out there whose hearing is probably likewise diminished at higher frequency levels, and they likely just pretend to hear the difference (after they consult a sin wave frequency response test).

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #106,475 of 150,822
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #106,476 of 150,822
Having high frequency hearing loss is one reason why it may be good to defer to younger reviewers. But on the other hand, if I can't hear the difference, why would I care, especially if there are not that many high frequency notes in most music? Plus there is much more to the evaluation of audio equipment accuracy and enjoyment than how well it plays notes above 5 kHz.

There are a lot of older reviewers out there whose hearing is probably likewise diminished at higher frequency levels, and they likely just pretend to hear the difference (after they consult a sin wave frequency response test).
An individual might or might not care about certain things but the information we try to gather is for a group. 25 criteria are used so upper treble might be scored similarly by someone with limitations.

That being said I will most likely go with the top three DACs that I personally score well and I will give them more time before deciding on which to own. I will say last time we did this I had two of them reversed in order compared to the average of the group, and they were around five and six as best I recall, 20 DACs were compared then. Maybe I have an advantage since I designed the headphone amps we will be using. :ksc75smile: Oh and with Focal Utopia headphones that I know very well.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #106,478 of 150,822
I am not doubting that scientific paper. But I listen to (and enjoy) jazz, and even though I can't hear much above about 8 kHz, I don't feel in any way deprived when I listen to recorded music. There is more to music than just frequency response.
I agree with you. Only real quibble is the missed opportunity to really have "perfect music forever."

Maybe we can start making the RedBook replacement "perfect music perfectly forever" :) with a sample rate of 50-60KHz, that's what I would have done . Could be this is why DSD sounds so much better...?

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #106,479 of 150,822
Not sure what you mean. I mainly worked on large mission-critical systems like airline reservations, credit card authorization/processing, etc, where if those systems went down or had serious errors, your entire company could go out of business or suffer severe financial loss. These systems typically operating world-wide were required to be operational 24x7x365. Changes had to be made while the system was running live.
We were not in that situation, though the company I worked for did produce mainframes in other divisions. A team I inherited had the task of porting what was the a large, technically complex early relational database onto our system for sale to customers. I enquired what we had done to validate their work and was told "I don't care if it works, as long as they sign in blood that it does." It didn't.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #106,480 of 150,822
Hi - You can find one online at places like Amazon:
Amazon 6 VAC power supplies.

I do not know the current needs of either of the devices you spoke of but it will be on the unit and you can match the output of the new power supply accordingly. Then, you need only match the plug your current power supply uses and more than a few come with mulitiple adapters that will allow you to do so easily.

I hope this was helpful to you. If you are unsure of getting advice from a toad, please check with others here that are far smarter than I on such matters. I do this all the time for folks that I meet in places like Best Buy that are not "tech" savvy and are even "slower" than I. It is nice to help others. I could not sleep and saw your post and just wanted to help out. All the best to you sir and...Thank you!

Thanks, let me check that out (and hope they work as well as those provided by Schiit)! I was asking as my concern is more about future usage; thankfully my current adapters are working

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #106,481 of 150,822
Well, it's been 72 hours and the Mimby 2 is still available! :fearful:

It looks like Jason might have made enough of 'em this time so that they'll stick around for a while. :L3000:

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #106,483 of 150,822
Well my review unit is here:

Arrived from Texas and it was really COLD!
Warmed up and started listening!
:>)
Alex

1671898633941.png

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #106,485 of 150,822
RIP Maxi Jazz. Guess he'll be finding out if the big man really is a DJ.

Will be listening to some Faithless today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back