Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #103,846 of 150,790
Sorry to say...without hearing Magni+...not a valid conclusion. Even 3+ is significantly different than 3.
Duly noted.

Oh, and I'm also an idiot: The Magni 3 is in fact a 3+. I fixed the mistake in the original post.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #103,847 of 150,790
Duly noted.
Bottom line: everything is shades of gray, colored by our own experiences and preferences. Of the 3 "Magni 4" candidates, I preferred "the middle one," as in, not Piety, and not the one that became Magni 3. That was a more typical Continuity implementation that we didn't pursue. Mike liked Piety, many others liked Magni 3. So we got 3.

3+ was another shot, one that was focused on dramatically improving performance into low impedance loads. And it sounds significanlty different than 3. Or Piety. It is closer to "the middle one." Magni+ is another generational refinement, even closer to my mythical "middle."

For grins, I should do a reprise of the "middle one," but I don't know if it's do-able within a Magni+ budget, and thermally it's a bit toasty. I don't think we'd end up making it.

But just goes to show: infinite variations. Some people will like one, some another, some none of the above. It comes down to much more than measurements. Power output is an important factor, and Piety is very weak in the Magni universe (it's the lowest power Magni ever made--the original Magni got near double its ratings.) It sounds great in many applications, but also has significant trade-offs. You'll run into protection on Magni Piety much faster than any other Magni. And yes, this matters. Maybe not to you, but to many, many others.

I have a Magni deep dive tech chapter coming, probably next week, that goes into some of the stuff we've explored--and discovered--through the years.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #103,849 of 150,790
So, about that Piety…

For tits and pickles, I did a little shootout yesterday.
I had sitting before me a Magni Piety, a Magni 3+, a Magni 3 Heresy, a Vali 2+ with a Genalex GoldLion, and a Jotunheim 2. To give all of them the best chance I possibly can, I’m feeding them with my Yggy OG. Headphones are a pair of DCA Æeon2 Noir (13 ohm closed planars). There's also a Lokius in the chain, set to 2:30, 1:30, noon, noon, noon, noon. Yes, I like me a little bit of extra bass. I am streaming Qobuz via Roon on a M1 Mac mini via USB to the Yggy. The Yggy goes balanced into Lokius (Snake Oil Taipan XLR), and from there single-ended into the headphone amps (Snake Oil Taipan RCA). To connect the Noirs I am using a bog-standard 4.5ft Hart Audio HC-12 with ¼" TRS interconnect.
The music used is my usual go-to playlist of reference tracks, which is a somewhat eclectic mix of classical, rock, folk, pop, acoustic, live jazz, and electronica.

First up: Magni Heresy. Just forget about it. Sounds thin, flat, closed-in to the point of being outright veiled, and lacks enough oomph to drive the Noirs to their potential. Bottom end is sloppy, highs are too sharp, mids are boring. Does it sound better than my iPhone’s internal DAC? Sure. Tons better in fact. But it’s just not good enough for what we've all been conditioned to expect from Schiit by this point. My least favorite out of these five.

Magni 3+ is a solid step up. Still a bit too weak to properly drive the Noirs, but at least the bottom end is tighter and the highs are more pleasant. The mids are ok, if lacking just a tad in spacial definition. Overall, things are still quite a bit too closed-in for my taste, there’s just not enough spacial presentation. Quite good for the 99 USD it had once cost me when I bought it, but nothing to get too excited about.

Vali 2+ with the GoldLion takes care of most of the issues I have with Magni 3+ and Magni 3 Heresy. There’s plenty of power to make the Noirs sing, and its spacial presentation is magnificent given the tiny form factor. The highs are airy without being needly, and the mids are well-defined and have good separation and placement. The bottom end is present and comes with enough volume, although it's maybe still a tiny bit too sloppy. Not enough to be a dealbreaker, though. A solid purchase, especially with the right tube.

Up next: Jotunheim 2. Why even is this amp in this shootout, you might wonder? Because it shares its topology with Piety and I'm curious whether that means that it would sound similar. To keep things somewhat comparable, it, too, got fed with a single-ended signal, and the ¼" TRS socket was used.
So … well?
The Jotunheim 2 has power for days, of course. But I always thought that it is overall a bit dull. The bottom end is fast, but that’s where this amp's strengths end for me. The mids lack definition and the highs I always found to be fatiguing. Overall, I could never quite shake the impression that the amp is just too closed-in and veiled-sounding. I'm fully aware that most people will strongly disagree with me on this and will insist that the Jot 2 would be crisp and open. But I have the same issue with Bifrost 2 being too closed-in and veiled for me, and the majority tends to avidly disagree with me on that one, too. So maybe it’s just me.

Now to the Piety…

You can tell that it shares common roots with the Jotunheim 2 because it, too, has power for days.
But that’s where the similarities end.
Piety is open and airy, and the overall presentation is stunningly accurate and well defined. Considering that it’s „only“ single-ended, the accuracy in placement and space it provides is surprising. The only headphone amp I own that does better in this regard is my treasured Mjolnir 2.
Highs are present and airy, but still really very pleasant. I can easily see myself listening to this amp for many hours without a break and not get fatigued by how it deals with treble. In fact, I've been listening to the amp all day today, and 12 hours in, I'm still not tired of it. Again, something that only the Mjolnir 2 and Folkvangr were capable of providing until now.
The mids are perfect. They are absolutely spot on. I’m trying to find something to complain about, but there’s nothing. I can't overstate how well this little amp does here. Instruments are well separated, detailed, clearly defined in space, and at least to my ears pretty much completely flat in their response along the entire frequency spectrum. No bloom, no dip, no hump — almost analytical, but in a really pleasant and somewhat warm and welcoming way.
The bottom end is fast, and there’s not so much as a hint of sloppiness. Transients down low are not quite as accurate as Tyr's, but much, much better than anything else I’ve heard in that price range or at that size, and are pretty much on par with what Mjolnir 2 delivers.
But that’s not the end of it, not by a long shot. Piety has another party trick up its sleeve! Engage high gain — and all the things it does well that I’ve mentioned above get turned up to eleven. Apart from Folkvangr, I’ve never liked high gain on any of Jason’s designs. They usually just get harsher in their presentation, but not better. But with this little thing here, high gain makes this give even the Mjolnir a run for its money. Everything becomes more defined, more precise, fuller, punchier, yet still no harshness anywhere.
Forget about low gain, get rid of the switch and save yourself the 25 cent in materials. High gain should have been the only mode, period.

In short: I am completely blown away by this thing. I honestly think that Jason made a mistake by „giving away“ this design to a third party. I know that he had good reasons to do so, but it's still a bit of a shame that this will remain a limited run. If this were fully balanced, it would be the Jotunheim I’ve always wanted.

Screw people's opinions on measurements, and screw that "magical" 99USD price point. This is the Magni that should have been.
Thanks for this! It seems we have a mix of things in common and different in terms of our taste, tho maybe it comes down in part to the fact that I'm more 2ch.

I too enjoy bumping up the bass a bit and appreciate a fast low end. Also don't care about measurements in the slightest. It's all about what you hear.

But I have always preferred high gain on schiit headamp/pres. I feel like you get much more slam and personality in the sound that way. That goes for every magni I've tried, the Jot, the and every Lyr I've tried.

I also found the OG BF2 a bit veiled, so I'm curious if you've heard the 2/64. I feel like it completely did away with the veiled sound for me. If anything it tends more toward a little harshness here and there as compared to the BF2 OG, but never enough to bother me.

Thanks for all the hours of listening fun and for taking it easy on our wallets, @Jason Stoddard !

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #103,850 of 150,790
So, about that Piety…

I had sitting before me a Magni Piety, a Magni 3+, a Magni 3 Heresy, a Vali 2+ with a Genalex GoldLion, and a Jotunheim 2. To give all of them the best chance I possibly can, I’m feeding them with my Yggy OG. Headphones are a pair of DCA Æeon2 Noir (13 ohm closed planars). There's also a Lokius in the chain, set to 2:30, 1:30, noon, noon, noon, noon. Yes, I like me a little bit of extra bass. I am streaming Qobuz via Roon on a M1 Mac mini via USB to the Yggy. The Yggy goes balanced into Lokius (Snake Oil Taipan XLR), and from there single-ended into the headphone amps (Snake Oil Taipan RCA). To connect the Noirs I am using a bog-standard 4.5ft Hart Audio HC-12 with ¼" TRS interconnect.
The music used is my usual go-to playlist of reference tracks, which is a somewhat eclectic mix of classical, rock, folk, pop, acoustic, live jazz, and electronica.

First up: Magni Heresy. Just forget about it. Sounds thin, flat, closed-in to the point of being outright veiled, and lacks enough oomph to drive the Noirs to their potential. Bottom end is sloppy, highs are too sharp, mids are boring. Does it sound better than my iPhone’s internal DAC? Sure. Tons better in fact. But it’s just not good enough for what we've all been conditioned to expect from Schiit by this point. My least favorite out of these five.

Magni 3+ is a solid step up. Still a bit too weak to properly drive the Noirs, but at least the bottom end is tighter and the highs are more pleasant. The mids are ok, if lacking just a tad in spacial definition. Overall, things are still quite a bit too closed-in for my taste, there’s just not enough spacial presentation. Quite good for the 99 USD it had once cost me when I bought it, but nothing to get too excited about.

Vali 2+ with the GoldLion takes care of most of the issues I have with Magni 3+ and Magni 3 Heresy. There’s plenty of power to make the Noirs sing, and its spacial presentation is magnificent given the tiny form factor. The highs are airy without being needly, and the mids are well-defined and have good separation and placement. The bottom end is present and comes with enough volume, although it's maybe still a tiny bit too sloppy. Not enough to be a dealbreaker, though. A solid purchase, especially with the right tube.

Up next: Jotunheim 2. Why even is this amp in this shootout, you might wonder? Because it shares its topology with Piety and I'm curious whether that means that it would sound similar. To keep things somewhat comparable, it, too, got fed with a single-ended signal, and the ¼" TRS socket was used.
So … well?
The Jotunheim 2 has power for days, of course. But I always thought that it is overall a bit dull. The bottom end is fast, but that’s where this amp's strengths end for me. The mids lack definition and the highs I always found to be fatiguing. Overall, I could never quite shake the impression that the amp is just too closed-in and veiled-sounding. I'm fully aware that most people will strongly disagree with me on this and will insist that the Jot 2 would be crisp and open. But I have the same issue with Bifrost 2 being too closed-in and veiled for me, and the majority tends to avidly disagree with me on that one, too. So maybe it’s just me.

Now to the Piety…

You can tell that it shares common roots with the Jotunheim 2 because it, too, has power for days.
Piety is open and airy, and the overall presentation is stunningly accurate and well defined. Considering that it’s „only“ single-ended, the accuracy in placement and space it provides is surprising. The only headphone amp I own that does better in this regard is my treasured Mjolnir 2.
Highs are present and airy, but still really very pleasant. I can easily see myself listening to this amp for many hours without a break and not get fatigued by how it deals with treble. In fact, I've been listening to the amp all day today, and 12 hours in, I'm still not tired of it. Again, something that only the Mjolnir 2 and Folkvangr were capable of providing until now.
The mids are perfect. They are absolutely spot on. I’m trying to find something to complain about, but there’s nothing. I can't overstate how well this little amp does here. Instruments are well separated, detailed, clearly defined in space, and at least to my ears pretty much completely flat in their response along the entire frequency spectrum. No bloom, no dip, no hump — almost analytical, but in a really pleasant and somewhat warm and welcoming way.
The bottom end is fast, and there’s not so much as a hint of sloppiness. Transients down low are not quite as accurate as Tyr's, but much, much better than anything else I’ve heard in that price range or at that size, and are pretty much on par with what Mjolnir 2 delivers.
But that’s not the end of it, not by a long shot. Piety has another party trick up its sleeve! Engage high gain — and all the things it does well that I’ve mentioned above get turned up to eleven. Apart from Folkvangr, I’ve never liked high gain on any of Jason’s designs. They usually just get harsher in their presentation, but not better. But with this little thing here, high gain makes this give even the Mjolnir a run for its money. Everything becomes more defined, more precise, fuller, punchier, yet still no harshness anywhere.
Forget about low gain, get rid of the switch and save yourself the 25 cent in materials. High gain should have been the only mode, period.

In short: I am completely blown away by this thing. I honestly think that Jason made a mistake by „giving away“ this design to a third party. I know that he had good reasons to do so, but it's still a bit of a shame that this will remain a limited run. If this were fully balanced, it would be the Jotunheim I’ve always wanted.

Screw people's opinions on measurements, and screw that "magical" 99USD price point. This is the Magni that should have been.
I use a Modi 3E > Loki+ > Heresy stack at work. I chose Heresy because it was the only Magni to come in black at the time. I also use Aeon Noires with that stack and I do not like my stack. To be blunt, I think it sucks and I have regrets replacing the Liquid Spark despite the Heresy looking a lot cleaner on my desk. I've suspected my problem is with the Heresy (instead of the 3E) and really appreciate this review and your take on the Heresy/Noire pairing. Your description is exactly how I would describe my problems with it, too.

I picked up a Piety but won't be able to use it in the stack in next year due to WFH/travel schedule, but now I'm really excited for it. I suppose I could also get a Magni+ and compare, but I'd rather put that money toward a Modi Multibit 2, whenever those go on sale.

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #103,851 of 150,790
I also found the OG BF2 a bit veiled, so I'm curious if you've heard the 2/64. I feel like it completely did away with the veiled sound for me. If anything it tends more toward a little harshness here and there as compared to the BF2 OG, but never enough to bother me.
I have the 2/64 card here. It's installed and received a few days of burn-in and a few hours of casual listening. Not nearly enough for me to build an opinion, though. I've been so swamped with work in recent months that I didn't have the time yet to spend some hours of critical listening time with it. I plan on changing that later this year.

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #103,852 of 150,790
To give all of them the best chance I possibly can, I’m feeding them with my Yggy OG.
Good start.

Up next: Jotunheim 2. [...] To keep things somewhat comparable, it, too, got fed with a single-ended signal, and the ¼" TRS socket was used.
Eh. A balanced DAC hindered by converting to single ended into a balanced amp hindered by converting single ended to balanced and then hindered some more by converting it back to single ended? I don't think that gave it the best chance. Balanced all the way if you can, though that's tougher when the necessarily different cables (interconnects and headphone cable) don't compare well, I get that.

Just a technical comment, I've never heard any of the amps involved, so I have no idea whether your conclusion would be any different.

Edit: I forgot to take the not really balanced EQ into account, I guess that equalizes (haha) things somewhat more. Tough to say how the single ended to balanced conversion in the Lokius compares to what the Jotunheim 2 does. But using the Jotunheim 2's balanced out would still be more fair, I'd say.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #103,854 of 150,790
Good start.

Eh. A balanced DAC hindered by converting to single ended into a balanced amp hindered by converting single ended to balanced and then hindered some more by converting it back to single ended? I don't think that gave it the best chance. Balanced all the way if you can, though that's tougher when the necessarily different cables (interconnects and headphone cable) don't compare well, I get that.

Just a technical comment, I've never heard any of the amps involved, so I have no idea whether your conclusion would be any different.

Edit: I forgot to take the not really balanced EQ into account, I guess that equalizes (haha) things somewhat more. Tough to say how the single ended to balanced conversion in the Lokius compares to what the Jotunheim 2 does. But using the Jotunheim 2's balanced out would still be more fair, I'd say.
Relax, it was a fun little shootout, not a science experiment. 😜
The Jot 2 got included in the mix more out of curiosity than anything, but it was never meant to be an actual contender.
For what it's worth, though, it's not performing all that much better fully balanced. Slightly, but not enough. At least not for my aural preferences.
And it doesn't have to. As Jason and others keep saying: Flavors. There's something for everyone.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #103,855 of 150,790
So, about that Piety…

So … well?

Now to the Piety…

Thank you for the extended bullet-point! Much appreciated, especially as my MagPie is on a truck or now at a warehouse 40 minutes from my home, still with an expected Tuesday delivery date. Incidentally, I've seen PowerPoint slides with about as much text as your essay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #103,856 of 150,790
Gosh it goes to show how we all hear differently and there are indeed shades of grey here.
Subjective land.

Just looking at the power available across these small deskop factor amps things technically just dont add up at times.
The Piety only has half the power as a Magni 3+ or Magni +.
Aeon Noires at 13 ohms and its sensitivity IMO is a much more demanding load than a lot of cans.
So in that regard its a great test.

I had the Noires here, not my cup of tea. Sold them in a few weeks.

Most of the cans I use now are far easier loads. And all the Magni series easily drives them to very loud SPLs and enough to due
damage to your ears if your not judicious.

Alex

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #103,857 of 150,790

I concur with your view of Heresy. Like you said, it’s better than my phone. Then I got Vali 2+. With the stock tube it was noticeably better. Rolling a 6922 sounded slightly better but it was pretty close. Plugging in a Genelex really brought out the best of it. One difference between us is I prefer high gain.
Both had an issue with low volume / low gain channel imbalance due to the volume pot. You’d think someone would’ve solved that ancient issue by now.

I did end up ordering Piety. Looking forward to it.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #103,859 of 150,790
Bottom line: everything is shades of gray, colored by our own experiences and preferences. Of the 3 "Magni 4" candidates, I preferred "the middle one," as in, not Piety, and not the one that became Magni 3. That was a more typical Continuity implementation that we didn't pursue. Mike liked Piety, many others liked Magni 3. So we got 3.

3+ was another shot, one that was focused on dramatically improving performance into low impedance loads. And it sounds significanlty different than 3. Or Piety. It is closer to "the middle one." Magni+ is another generational refinement, even closer to my mythical "middle."

For grins, I should do a reprise of the "middle one," but I don't know if it's do-able within a Magni+ budget, and thermally it's a bit toasty. I don't think we'd end up making it.

But just goes to show: infinite variations. Some people will like one, some another, some none of the above. It comes down to much more than measurements. Power output is an important factor, and Piety is very weak in the Magni universe (it's the lowest power Magni ever made--the original Magni got near double its ratings.) It sounds great in many applications, but also has significant trade-offs. You'll run into protection on Magni Piety much faster than any other Magni. And yes, this matters. Maybe not to you, but to many, many others.

I have a Magni deep dive tech chapter coming, probably next week, that goes into some of the stuff we've explored--and discovered--through the years.
Congratulations on supplanting Al Nagler at Tele Vue Optics as "The Bad Man" in my wife's eyes (jokingly, of course). I told Al many years ago that he was 'the Bad Man' and he cackled and told me that wasn't the first time that he heard that. My dear wife also told me this week that I really should have only one expensive hobby. Astronomy and photography are my other 2.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #103,860 of 150,790
Tower of Magnis!
Well Vali 2 + is on top, yeah!
:>)

Schiit has come alooooooong way with the Magnis...
The Magni + is a real gem.

1669412297009.png
Need more Sys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back