Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #103,066 of 151,279
I've had some pretty bad luck. First I buy a Vali 2+, and shortly thereafter Schiit comes out with the Vali 2++. I recently bought a Modi 3E, and now Schiit comes out with the Modi+.

Oh well. My gear still works and is still under warranty.
Vali 2+ is great and you will be happy with it. I do not think the 2++ is an improvement, just uses different tubes.

Nov 16, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #103,067 of 151,279
Awesome stuff! Between magni+, magni heresy, and the limited magni piety which is going to be able to push the most current?
Magni+ and Heretic will both do over 2X what Piety will do.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #103,068 of 151,279
The only thing missing is a new Modi multibit. Chapter 14?
100% this.
If we're lucky, that'll happen in December. Don't be surprised if it's actually January, though. Also don't be surprised it's $299.
I've got my credit card ready for the Multibit and an ok from the wife. I'm golden.
I recently sold a way more expensive R2R dac (close to $1000) despite high technical performance but didn't like sound signature (lol yupe dac has sound signature).

As long I don't spend the money on something else first then I'm pretty much ready LOL. :joy:

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #103,069 of 151,279
I've had some pretty bad luck. First I buy a Vali 2+, and shortly thereafter Schiit comes out with the Vali 2++. I recently bought a Modi 3E, and now Schiit comes out with the Modi+.

Oh well. My gear still works and is still under warranty.
LOL sounds like my life when buying from classified. 1 week after my gear arrives then someone else would sell the same thing but cheaper and better condition and more accessories.

This happened 3 times so far.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #103,071 of 151,279
Nov 16, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #103,072 of 151,279
magni plus pink front 1920.jpg

I'm telling you guys, this thing would sell like nothing else!

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #103,073 of 151,279
Nov 16, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #103,075 of 151,279
Nov 16, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #103,077 of 151,279
Does anyone actually have experience with both a Magni and a Heretic from previous product generations to speak on whether they sound different? I'm really at a loss as to what I should order given they're both the same price and the Heretic does measure better. I do like good measurements, but is that supposed to be bad in this context? Is it officially worse sounding? I'd hate to be up Schitt creek without a paddle, suffering a bad case of buyer's remorse...!

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #103,078 of 151,279
Nov 16, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #103,079 of 151,279
Does anyone actually have experience with both a Magni and a Heretic from previous product generations to speak on whether they sound different? I'm really at a loss as to what I should order given they're both the same price and the Heretic does measure better. I do like good measurements, but is that supposed to be bad in this context? Is it officially worse sounding? I'd hate to be up Schitt creek without a paddle, suffering a bad case of buyer's remorse...!
I almost always prefer tube amps over solid state.
I own both, a Magni Heretic and a Magni 3.
I think the Magni 3 sounds considerably nicer than the Heretic. More lively, more engaging. Heretic sounds good, but it's too clean for my taste and gets tiring rather quickly.

Since you like measurements, I'd say you should get the Heretic. Both sound good, so you won't really miss out. And it'll give you peace of mind that you bought what you like.

(Edit: One of these days I'll remember that it's called "Heretic" and not "Heresy"…)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #103,080 of 151,279
I would say it's preference, some people want "as accurate as possible" sound. But then again I've also read review where people can't hear any difference at all. So it's probably a complicated answer vary from person to person.

But in an ideal scenario I think Schiit made 2 products because (my take on this, I could be wrong):

Magni+ follow closer to their "house sound", I'd imagine probably slightly warm tilt.
Heretic measures better but stray away from their "house sound", probably more linear sounding.

So you have to decide do you like tastefully made minor coloration or do you want as uncolored as possible.

I like coloration so I've recently bought a tube amp, my solid state amps are also warm sounding. Basically I like fun/exciting sounding over accurate sounding.

But this is preference I guess. You just have to decide what you like lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back