Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #102,181 of 151,035
I started with a 1953 MG TD that I bought in about 1970. After breaking it just about every way possible (yes, I know about tuning SU carbs) I stepped up to a 1969 Datsun 510 and never looked back at old cars again. My current 3rd car (play car) is a 2006 Subaru WRX sports wagon. My oh my but that car has come with a LOT of tickets. But then I love to drive fast and I love to drive twisty roads really fast. Luckily I have yet to kill myself or anyone else. And now that I am 71 I am 'starting' to slow down... oh maybe about 2 or 3 percent.
I tried to buy a TD and my dad wouldn't lend me 150 quid IIRC. Similarly, when trying to buy the B GT his words when asked for a loan "Bugger off and earn, like I had to". My mum sneaked me the deposit.

If you like the WRX, I'd suggest episode one of the new series of the Grand Tour. Epic silliness and a massive shunt - and not from who you would expect.

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #102,184 of 151,035
My Folkvanger drives (amongst others) a pair of $200 HD6XX, and though some in the FV thread are amused by that I (and others) find the combination excellent.
Heh, same. My FV mostly drives a pair of HD580s which were bought so long ago I couldn't tell you the price, but I'm pretty sure they were <$200 at the time. They otherswise power Grados which cost around $200. Both are wonderful pairings with the amp.

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #102,185 of 151,035
Friends had the usual MG's and Triumphs but one buddy acquired one of these. A modification of the Sunbeam Alpine. :)

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/definitive-sunbeam-tiger-buyers-guide/

He shocked more than one person who pulled up next to him in a Corvette and the like thinking it was a four cylinder Alpine he was driving.

I became more interested in Z cars and the RX-7 myself.

Many of us talk about other subjects and it is easy to ignore those in which we have no interest. Personally I enjoy the variety. :ksc75smile:
Wasn't it marketed as the Sunbeam Tiger here? They were the rocket ship when I was a teenager. I do recall arriving home with a 280Z (I'd gone to look at an E Type) and - this being just before I got married - there followed a conversation about discussing big ticket purchases. Struck me as odd at the time, and perhaps that's why we never had commingled finances, which stood us in good stead when the divorce occurred.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #102,186 of 151,035
My Folkvanger drives (amongst others) a pair of $200 HD6XX, and though some in the FV thread are amused by that I (and others) find the combination excellent.
I cannot think of better headphones for that price. I got to hear a Folkvanger but I took along my Focal Utopias since I know them the best.

My next move is to one of these...

https://ampsandsound.com/products/black-box-headphone-adapter

It will allow me to use a couple tube power amps currently not in use as headphone amps and allow me a quick hook up when working with tube power amps in my shop. It will also keep me from having to add a headphone output to this amp.

amp case 5.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #102,187 of 151,035
Spot on @Erratic Gravy :beyersmile:

The story of the Stag and the bungled development of the Triumph V8 engine (which was notoriously unreliable) is another sad chapter in the long saga of mismanagement at British Leyland.

BL had already acquired the rights to manufacture the excellent, small-block Buick (Rover) V8, and this could have been fitted to the Stag, but internal rivalries between Triumph and Rover meant that Triumph ploughed their own furrow and developed their own V8.

Madness!
So my college lecturer back in the day had the V8 Stag. He told us a story that may or may not be true, that the Triumph V8 was actually 2 4 cylinder engines cobbled together. Done to save cost. Now, as it was British Leyland, questionable engineering decisions like that are somewhat believable.

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #102,188 of 151,035
Wasn't it marketed as the Sunbeam Tiger here? They were the ticket ship when I was a teenager. I do recall arriving home with a 280Z (I'd gone to look at an E Type) and - this being just before I got married - there followed a conversation about discussing big ticket purchases. Struck me as odd at the time, and perhaps that's why we never had commingled finances, which stood us in good stead when the divorce occurred.
It was the Sunbeam Tiger here as best I recall, I believe what I posted explains that but I just skimmed the article.

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #102,189 of 151,035
So my college lecturer back in the day had the V8 Stag. He told us a story that may or may not be true, that the Triumph V8 was actually 2 4 cylinder engines cobbled together. Done to save cost. Now, as it was British Leyland, questionable engineering decisions like that are somewhat believable.
It might have LOOKED like BL, but I'll bet the didn't think they were.

I joined ICL in the mid-80s and when introduced to old timers I was often asked "BTM or Samas" which had been through at least two iterations over the preceding 25 years.

I'll bet they still thought Triumph.

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #102,190 of 151,035
I cannot think of better headphones for that price. I got to hear a Folkvanger but I took along my Focal Utopias since I know them the best.

My next move is to one of these...

https://ampsandsound.com/products/black-box-headphone-adapter

It will allow me to use a couple tube power amps currently not in use as headphone amps and allow me a quick hook up when working with tube power amps in my shop. It will also keep me from having to add a headphone output to this amp.

amp case 5.jpg
I see that you splurged for the mineral spirit filled capacitors!

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #102,191 of 151,035
There is a nugget of truth in that story - the cam drive was a ludicrously lengthy chain as a result - plus I believe it had problems with sludging in the thermostat housing - feel free to correct me on this though !!

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #102,192 of 151,035
I see that you splurged for the mineral spirit filled capacitors!
LOL those are pentodes used in transmitters on German ships and subs in WW 2, handles on the top for quick change. The Russians had the same type of tubes, each type required specific sockets and frames. :ksc75smile: I made modifications so I could use both types of tubes, I am using them as triodes. No doubt the Russians used that tube far longer and theirs are more readily available. The Telefunkens were located for me In France, NOS. They were also used on aircraft but mine were marked as Kriegsmarine, 1942 vintage.

Gu 50 or LS 50 tubes. There are plenty of the Russian version available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3025377812...fRqXbdY6+NoLXz6Jb+RtjMvCacZH|tkp:BFBMytm1j4dh

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #102,193 of 151,035
Best us classic GB car geeks dont turn this Forum into Yawn Fest for the Audio Geeks !! :beerchug:
In my youth the only thing I got to do with MGs (and VW Bugs, those dinky Hondas, etc.) was pick them up and put them either on top of steel trash cans (this required at least one other person) or as sideways in a parking space as I could manage. Or on a curb/kerb. "Sigh"...Talk about the days of whine and roses...Those cars remain cool for eternity! :beerchug:

Nov 2, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #102,194 of 151,035
I find it a refreshing break from BBQ - and I live in NC!!!!!!
British BBQ is mainly inedible, but I do have some Romanian neighbours who BBQ regularly in the summer - on hardwood by the smell - ,intense sizzling sounds also suggest a cauldron of hot grease too , the mouth watering aromas when the breeze carries our way is torture 😋😋😋

Nov 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #102,195 of 151,035
Some of the greatest joys I get from my Miata ('91 BRG) are winding it all the way up, almost to red-line, in all 5 gears..to get down the ~900 foot driveway at my work, maxing out around 40mph. I think the car would be fine with only 2nd and 5th gear. It can get moving in 2nd, and then move to 5th for cruising. The others are just for having fun. Compare to C5 and later Corvettes that could probably work fine with only 5th gear, all others are icing.
Wait….at close to redline in 5th gear you’re only at 40 mph? Seems like you need 5 more gears. :sweat_smile:

The RX8 will do 140 mph with a good bit of tach left***. Unfortunately at that speed it doesn’t have any torque left.

*** a friend told me. I would never do that myself, of course. :smirk:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back