Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #99,646 of 150,810
with batteries, there's also a charging rate (typically only 0.1-0.2 of the max discharge rate for li-ion, and lead-acid even worse) limitation that requires conventional friction brakes for any speeds above a commute stop-and-go crawl.
Not sure if that's totally true. Maybe Elon is bending physics with the Model Y, but my recent rental had incredible retardation in full regen mode, as long as the battery was below 90% charged. I set the drive mode to "hold", and only had to touch the (formidable) friction brakes when coming to a full stop. Of course, driving this way required planning, and it took a day or two to get used to it (and I still screwed it up on occasion).

I was a bit shocked after my first trip to a supercharger, where I charged to 98% (simply because I could)... the first time I lifted off the accelerator and got exactly zero regen braking, I learned my lesson. That power needs to go somewhere, or regenerative braking doesn't brake. Oops!

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #99,647 of 150,810
Is it the spotting in the metal on the front? I take it that won't wipe off?

As much as I love Schiit, it seems that they will always have a casual attitude about cosmetics.
It would become problematic when they get a casual attitude towards sound.
This looks like an extreme they missed. Nobody is perfect.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #99,648 of 150,810
just got my Jot 2, haven’t had much time to use it but I like it but I’m severely disappointed in QC. I’ll let you see for your self what the issue is, I would expect this from C stock

Sound wise though holy crap this amp has power. Only had like 5 min free so still have a lot of listening to do. But I’ll prob have to exchange this unit that I’m pissed about that.

Is there a warm up peroid with these amps in general heat wise and what about break in?
You got the limited edition version.

Jotunhe he he he

*I'll let myself out

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #99,649 of 150,810
just got my Jot 2, haven’t had much time to use it but I like it but I’m severely disappointed in QC. I’ll let you see for your self what the issue is, I would expect this from C stock

Sound wise though holy crap this amp has power. Only had like 5 min free so still have a lot of listening to do. But I’ll prob have to exchange this unit that I’m pissed about that.

Is there a warm up peroid with these amps in general heat wise and what about break in?
Yeah, this Is stupid. I've sent this to the relevant people in Valencia.

YWe'll do a return/exchange for you, of course.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #99,650 of 150,810

So just get in touch with them, request an RMA and get a real new one. No one will belittle you for this. If you return it and get a tubed Schiit I may well chide you (albeit in a good way like an idiot brother would!) but yes. You should return it for one that does not look like it was fondled in certain areas by Rust Monkees.

I some how managed to use the term "Rust Monkee" in a sentence here...HUZZAH! As for warm up, I just turn my stuff on and then go make a gallon of iced tea and listen to the music as presented by the equipment, not the other way 'round. I do how ever, always LOOK at my equipment as that needs to be nigh on as enjoyable as the listening. Kinda-sorta. Maybe. Yup.

So get movin' on packin' your Schiit (I did it again! HUZZAH!) and sending it in for a truly new one,

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #99,652 of 150,810
It would become problematic when they get a casual attitude towards sound.
This looks like an extreme they missed. Nobody is perfect.
6th4aq.jpg

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #99,653 of 150,810
One of my favourite supervillain portrails! Playfully homicidal (that subway scene made quite the impact on a 8-9 year old me). Appropo of nothing... I wonder if Schiit Audio has any interest in re-evaluating the invisible headphone concept? How-to geek reissued an article about the now-defunct Noveto "Invisible Headphones". Link #1 and Link #2.

Yeah, yeah. I know. Schiit Audio is an amp/DAC/REDACTED creator. I honestly wonder if there's a market for personal audio... for people like me. My spouse is very sensitive to background noise. And that might kill my future plans of getting standing speakers (driven by a Vidar). :triportsad:

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #99,654 of 150,810
For that, I use Pine Tree Audio. Colored power cords to tell what's what, etc. I wish I hadn't read @bcowen's missive about green sounding best ;-(
I may have helped him locate some of that green mesh, it is a color I never personally ordered.😜

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #99,655 of 150,810
Yes, the lower posts are the low frequency terminals on the 804 D3s. The upper posts feed the midrange and the tweeter. I just said "why not?" and positioned them this way as a trial; I will move the main cable to the lower posts after I get a good solid listen under my belt... technically, it should not make a difference, right? - especially with such solid jumpers, but... this is audio, where all things are not as they seem. :sunglasses:

If there's a reason that they should be on the LF posts, please advise. I just got home from dinner with friends; the system has been playing at low volume for the last six hours (or so) and after a short listen, I'm pretty darn convinced that the OctoQuads were well worth the investment... more to come in the AM when I'm less giddy.
Dammit! Your post sent me bouncing around the internet, including the dreaded Google machine. The few places where a clear opinion was expressed indicate connecting the main speaker wires to the HF terminals then jumping to the LF terminals. Naturally I had my speakers wired to the LF terminal so I switched it around. I am not sure I hear a difference, and now I am trying to stave off an attack of audio nervosa. :scream_cat:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #99,656 of 150,810
Yeah, this Is stupid. I've sent this to the relevant people in Valencia.

YWe'll do a return/exchange for you, of course.
Damn I appreciate the direct response Jason, I sent over a RMA request yesterday waiting to hear back. I understand crap slips thought the cracks (LMAO try no to laugh reading that). I always judge companies not on their mistakes but how they rectify them.

I wish there were more business people as frank as you are no one else in the industry would not only care to respond back to a rando on the internet but take the issue right to the source to fix.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #99,660 of 150,810
with batteries, there's also a charging rate (typically only 0.1-0.2 of the max discharge rate for li-ion, and lead-acid even worse) limitation that requires conventional friction brakes for any speeds above a commute stop-and-go crawl.
That is not true. My MME uses regenerative braking even if you press the brake pedal and can stop the car from any speed without engaging the friction brakes. It has nothng to do with "battery charge rates." There is also a one-pedal mode that automatically engages full regen braking whenever the accelerator is released and it works perfectly and mot just in stop and go traffic. The friction brakes are used in emergencies or if I press the pedal too quickly.

Besides, wht's the problem with using conventional brakes in an EV?

-edit- and by the way I looked it up to be sure. Ford rates the max charge current for the MME at 480amps and the max discharge current at 1127a. So it is much better than 0.2X.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back