Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 11, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #99,466 of 151,047
I have just pre-ordered Giles Martin’s remix of Revolver.
I went for the 2 CD version.
This will complete my collection of his Beatles remixes…..so far.
Please let us know what you think about it, Les. Thanks for blazing our way to new, better Beatles' remixes :)

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #99,469 of 151,047
75776444-51F9-482A-BAE3-A20E2AFE8A50.jpeg

I noticed Hulu is stealing Schiit’s Vali naming convention

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #99,470 of 151,047
IMO, Abbey Road is by far the worst of the Giles Martin remasters.
I agree that The Beatles came out just fine, and Sgt. Pepper's is wonderful.
Not quite sure I understand why Revolver would need a make-over.

For affirmation, I hope to enlist the comments of Old Groucho himself @BobG55 who is an expert on everything BeaTles. You out there, Bob? :)
Hi Dick. Good to hear from you again. That’s high praise on your part which can be difficult to live up to. I do possess a large amount of knowledge concerning the BeaTles but when it comes to remixes and remastering, well, it’s all quite subjective. I agree w/ your opinion pertaining to Giles Martin and your verdict on the albums you listed. Without going into detailed explanations I was and still am quite disappointed with Giles’ remix of Abbey Road, mainly his remix of Come Together and I Want You [She’s So Heavy]. I respect audiophiles‘ opinion who disagree with me. That’s what makes the world go round. I also didn’t find anything exceptionally different about the Let it Be remix either. What I like about the Deluxe Box Set is finally getting a quality sounding Get Back Sessions album produced by Glyn Johns. Get Back was the original album title chosen by the band but everything changed once the whole film/ album/ concert project was shelved. The sessions tapes were given to Phil Spector by John, George & Ringo [by this time they had hired Alan Klein to manage their affairs & Paul had opted out preferring his father in law] who asked him to salvage/ make something out of what they considered to be a mess. None of them were interested to have anything to do with the project. Spector decided to give the album the title Let it Be based on the song with the same title on the album which he considered the most promising commercial wise as a single.

As for Revolver coming out next month I‘m going to buy the 2 CD album and not the Deluxe Box Set. Many of the outtakes of the songs can be found on the Anthology albums. The information booklets included in the box sets are nice souvenirs for those who like to collect the best BeaTle memorabilia available. In my case I rely and get all the information contained in these books from the many books written by Mark Lewisohn, author of Tune-in, the definitive BeaTles biography, v.1 up to 1962. Lewisohn is rightfully recognized as ”the” authority about the BeaTles.

Finally, I find it fascinating that a band which broke up more than 50 years can still generate this much interest and commercial revenue. It just goes to prove they were and are more than a band, they’re musical and historical icons. Hope most fans who buy it will enjoy the new version of Revolver. After all, Tomorrow Never Knows. 😉

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #99,471 of 151,047
"But I want balanced and tubes and—
Yeah. We did that. It was called Mjolnir. It was big and inconvenient and we couldn’t move it with bran."

What does "move it with bran" even mean? I'm assuming it means it didn't sell well, but I've never heard that phrase before. Not going to hold my breath for a MJ3 after that statement though...
If there was one weirdo amp that I want (not need), it’d be that discontinued model. I have 7 different amps 🙄 already. 😵‍💫

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #99,472 of 151,047
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #99,473 of 151,047
If there was one weirdo amp that I want (not need), it’d be that discontinued model. I have 7 different amps 🙄 already. 😵‍💫
I will !!!NEVER!!! let go of my Mjolnir 2.
Best headphone amp purchase I have ever made. That Schiit went smooth like butter, no bran needed.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #99,474 of 151,047
I will !!!NEVER!!! let go of my Mjolnir 2.
Best headphone amp purchase I have ever made. That Schiit went smooth like butter, no bran needed.
Nota Bene: @ArmchairPhilosopher apparently has a very large DESK. (But since I've known him, he has always sung Mjolnir 2's praises...) And yeah, I keep looking for one on the used market, too... And I need it like I need another hole in my head.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #99,475 of 151,047
Hi guys I need some help here just ordered the Jot 2 (i get it Wednesday) but wondering if i made a mistake and should have gone for the LYR+(even though my husband may kill me if i get into tube rolling... good think he doesn't know what schitt cost.) Big fan of the schiit sound i currently have a Bifrost 2 (waiting on upgrade card) and a Jot1. My original plan was to get the ESS upgrade for Jot (already on order) and bring the Jot 1 to work and have the Jot 2 at home.... this way a) i have a nice set up for work and B hopefully my husband does not recognise the extra button on the Jot.

In all seriousness, never listened to a tube amp before but I feel I would probably like it. The biggest killer for me is the fact that the LYR is unbalanced. Second is how much I know i would spend on tube rolling as i can easily see that becoming an addiction.

As a compromise, i know some on here were saying to get a tube preamp or amp (run it as a pre) that way i get the balanced signal (kinda) and option to play around with tubes. Any ideas on that?

I prefer warmer sounding equipment, love my current set up and have HD650, 58X Jubblies and HE400i as my main headphones all with XLR cables. Wonder if I should find somewhere to listen to tube amps to see if its worth the investment. I'm in NY in the Hudson valley kinda pissed i didn't know about the NYC show that just ended.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #99,476 of 151,047
Nota Bene: @ArmchairPhilosopher apparently has a very large DESK. (But since I've known him, he has always sung Mjolnir 2's praises...) And yeah, I keep looking for one on the used market, too... And I need it like I need another hole in my head.
I may turn loose of one before long. It is silly to have gear I rarely use laying around when it might bring joy to someone else.😉 I own a decent selection of tubes for it as well.

I will make a decision in the next two weeks after making another audio rack and populating it with more gear.

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #99,477 of 151,047
Hi guys I need some help here just ordered the Jot 2 (i get it Wednesday) but wondering if i made a mistake and should have gone for the LYR+(even though my husband may kill me if i get into tube rolling... good think he doesn't know what schitt cost.) Big fan of the schiit sound i currently have a Bifrost 2 (waiting on upgrade card) and a Jot1. My original plan was to get the ESS upgrade for Jot (already on order) and bring the Jot 1 to work and have the Jot 2 at home.... this way a) i have a nice set up for work and B hopefully my husband does not recognise the extra button on the Jot.

In all seriousness, never listened to a tube amp before but I feel I would probably like it. The biggest killer for me is the fact that the LYR is unbalanced. Second is how much I know i would spend on tube rolling as i can easily see that becoming an addiction.

As a compromise, i know some on here were saying to get a tube preamp or amp (run it as a pre) that way i get the balanced signal (kinda) and option to play around with tubes. Any ideas on that?

I prefer warmer sounding equipment, love my current set up and have HD650, 58X Jubblies and HE400i as my main headphones all with XLR cables. Wonder if I should find somewhere to listen to tube amps to see if its worth the investment. I'm in NY in the Hudson valley kinda pissed i didn't know about the NYC show that just ended.
You could always try a Vali++

Schiit amps are not typically "tubey"

So you would have to play with different tubes to get the sound you want.

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #99,480 of 151,047
It's not about the size of your desk, it's how you use it.
…or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back