Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #99,346 of 150,793
So are you running RAID5 (they being 4 drive systems)?
Yes, RAID 6 as I wanted complete data redundancy after that scare of losing 20 years' worth of data. Knowing that the failure of one device could make for very bad times, I didn't want to experience that again. However, I did learn one trick to use when you get to that "you've got nothing to lose" point. Put the offending HDD in your freezer overnight and then try to extract as much data as possible the next day when it's cold and shrunk. That usually works for a few minutes until it warms up. Then, stick it back in the freezer for a few hours. Rinse, repeat. By doing this a half-dozen times I was able to get all of my critical data moved onto other media. I still have hundreds of thousands of pictures that aren't worth trying to recover because of all of the drive activity involved. A small price to pay though.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #99,347 of 150,793
I still have hundreds of thousands of pictures that aren't worth trying to recover because of all of the drive activity involved. A small price to pay though.

I once had a pro photographer come to our mastering studio. He needed photo's recovered. It seems he'd been in South America on assignment. He burned his pictures to CD-R's, as a back-up, during the trip. But, he wrote notes on the surface of the discs, cataloging what was on each disc. The sad thing, he used a ball point pen, which literally scribed the notes into the surface of the discs. He ruined all the the discs with the hand writing scratches. Nothing would read, on Mac or PC, trying multiple drives and recovery software. 😢

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #99,348 of 150,793
All this talk about what sounds good/better (streaming vs physical media etc) prompted me to share a video of a remix of a classic Def Leppard track, Photograph.
Even though it's on YouTube (and 128kbps?) the sound quality of the remix is impressive, and markedly better to me than the album version (IMO, YMMV etc).
To me this simple demonstration shows how much the mix and the master plays in the final products subjective sound quality.

Enjoy

[EDIT: sorry for the necro-bump, I'm a bit behind and catching up]

I was amazed at how fast he was tweaking the mix. I thought I was watching it at high speed, but it was in sync with the music which was a real speed.

I got a little disoriented when he was bobbing his head, and the head cam, but I can understand why.

Then I was trying to figure out what the C.B. channel was. And then I screamed "Moar Cowbell!"

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #99,350 of 150,793
I once had a pro photographer come to our mastering studio. He needed photo's recovered. It seems he'd been in South America on assignment. He burned his pictures to CD-R's, as a back-up, during the trip. But, he wrote notes on the surface of the discs, cataloging what was on each disc. The sad thing, he used a ball point pen, which literally scribed the notes into the surface of the discs. He ruined all the the discs with the hand writing scratches. Nothing would read, on Mac or PC, trying multiple drives and recovery software. 😢
I would just cry if that happened to me. Before drives got so cheap I burned my data backups onto CD-R's as well. I have spindles of them I would trip over if it weren't for other things in front of them for me to trip over.:worried: I think the clinical term for my condition is "hoarder". I'm almost afraid to dig into them to see if they're still readable. After my dad died in '99, my cousin gave me a shoebox full of old pictures of him from the '30's through the '50's that I scanned onto CD-R. I had to give the pictures back to her and I have no idea if she still has them (or if she's still alive).

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #99,351 of 150,793
Stupidest.Name.Ever.
No, I'm going to have to go with Sony's new naming convention for Playstation Plus (which is already an upsell of Playstation Net) going to: Playstation Plus Essential, Playstation Plus Extra, and Playstation Plus Premium. As a Sony shareholder, I want whoever came up with this travesty fired. I own shares, I own many playstations, and I *still* can't even remember the names of the tiers off the top of my head after months of this being the new normal, let alone which is above the others. Is Extra more premium or is Premium more premium? You, by comparison, are doing fine.

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #99,352 of 150,793
I would just cry if that happened to me. Before drives got so cheap I burned my data backups onto CD-R's as well. I have spindles of them I would trip over if it weren't for other things in front of them for me to trip over.:worried: I think the clinical term for my condition is "hoarder". I'm almost afraid to dig into them to see if they're still readable. After my dad died in '99, my cousin gave me a shoebox full of old pictures of him from the '30's through the '50's that I scanned onto CD-R. I had to give the pictures back to her and I have no idea if she still has them (or if she's still alive).
I can relate...
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #99,353 of 150,793
No, I'm going to have to go with Sony's new naming convention for Playstation Plus (which is already an upsell of Playstation Net) going to: Playstation Plus Essential, Playstation Plus Extra, and Playstation Plus Premium. As a Sony shareholder, I want whoever came up with this travesty fired. I own shares, I own many playstations, and I *still* can't even remember the names of the tiers off the top of my head after months of this being the new normal, let alone which is above the others. Is Extra more premium or is Premium more premium? You, by comparison, are doing fine.
You're obviously not a Mazda 3 owner, or you would know that "Turbo Premium Plus" is the top-of-the-line trim… 🤣

"Premium" is apparently to this decade what "2000" was to the 90s.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #99,354 of 150,793
[EDIT: sorry for the necro-bump, I'm a bit behind and catching up]

I was amazed at how fast he was tweaking the mix. I thought I was watching it at high speed, but it was in sync with the music which was a real speed.

I got a little disoriented when he was bobbing his head, and the head cam, but I can understand why.

Then I was trying to figure out what the C.B. channel was. And then I screamed "Moar Cowbell!"
lol for the cowbell reference.

When I first started watching the video I thought that it was going to be typical of re-masters where they just effectively bump up all the sliders to make everything louder and call it a day.

As I continued to watch, I got the feeling that the guy is a.) a fan of the song/band and that b.) he knows his schiit when it comes to running a mixing board.

Very cool!

Sep 8, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #99,355 of 150,793
You're obviously not a Mazda 3 owner, or you would know that "Turbo Premium Plus" is the top-of-the-line trim… 🤣

Speaking of silly names, you're right to highlight "Turbo," which used to be something special - decades back. But now Porsche was made it a status word. Almost all 911s these days have turbochargers (and smaller engines,) but the mas macho mainstream 911 is the Turbo. Even sillier, the top-tier Taycan, which is all-electric and has no pistons at all except in the brake calipers, is the Turbo.

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #99,356 of 150,793
That one and "pro". I can kind of get it with Macbook Pro (as in this is geared towards power users/creative professionals who are going to make use of the extra power). But iPhone pro? Playstation 4 Pro?

I guess Apple in their trillion dollar wisdom decided to just carry the Pro moniker from their macbook line into other product categories since it's a brand they've spent over a decade building, even if it doesn't really mean what it used to in these new contexts. And Sony just copied Apple because it worked for them. I think. Looking forward to the Toyota Supra Pro with all sorts of disclaimers about how it is not suitable for use in competitive racing.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #99,357 of 150,793
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #99,358 of 150,793
So, I had a friend come over and we were able to A/B his Bifrost 2, against my one that was upgraded to the 2/64. In the main system, there was a definite improvement in detail and soundstage, as well as more dynamic and detailed bass.

Interestingly, we later switched to headphones and we compared my Schiit Modius with his Mojo 2. Ran both through the Jotunheim 2, pretty well level matched and with me switching inputs. Yes the Mojo was better, but it took a while for both of us to work out the difference and be able to tell them apart. Modius and a slight bass emphasis, slight dip in the mids, worst the Mojo had a touch more detail. I may have just saved myself an upgrade!

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #99,359 of 150,793
That one and "pro". I can kind of get it with Macbook Pro (as in this is geared towards power users/creative professionals who are going to make use of the extra power). But iPhone pro? Playstation 4 Pro?

I guess Apple in their trillion dollar wisdom decided to just carry the Pro moniker from their macbook line into other product categories since it's a brand they've spent over a decade building, even if it doesn't really mean what it used to in these new contexts. And Sony just copied Apple because it worked for them. I think. Looking forward to the Toyota Supra Pro with all sorts of disclaimers about how it is not suitable for use in competitive racing.
I think “pro” may be on its way out. Ultra seems a possible contender for the spot.

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #99,360 of 150,793
So, I had a friend come over and we were able to A/B his Bifrost 2, against my one that was upgraded to the 2/64. In the main system, there was a definite improvement in detail and soundstage, as well as more dynamic and detailed bass.

Interestingly, we later switched to headphones and we compared my Schiit Modius with his Mojo 2. Ran both through the Jotunheim 2, pretty well level matched and with me switching inputs. Yes the Mojo was better, but it took a while for both of us to work out the difference and be able to tell them apart. Modius and a slight bass emphasis, slight dip in the mids, worst the Mojo had a touch more detail. I may have just saved myself an upgrade!
Man, that’s the last thing I needed to hear. After the Folkvangr I’m trying to be frugal for a while.

I. Am. Going. To. Wait!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back