Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #97,831 of 150,240
Please post this in the Sound Science forum and notify me when you do! :wink:

1660227377677.png

Nah, thanks, I'm good. I value my mental and physical health too much for those kinds of shenanigans… 😁

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #97,833 of 150,240
Fact: Amir is a very smart and capable guy.
Opinion: Just not smart and capable enough to see the big picture. His intent is laudable, but his solution is flawed.
Amir seems to me to be one of those who, for one reason or another, is far more invested in the process than the result or the reality. That approach tends to lead to predictable results, which often have little or nothing to do with reality. You find this sort of scenario sadly common at big long-established companies and on college campuses.

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #97,834 of 150,240
The half speed mastering was first used by Decca UK on their FFRR and FFSS releases in the fifties.
Decca UK was a pioneer in high quality audio registration.

Playing their early FFRR FFSS registrations with Decca London cartridge and a Decca uni-pivot arm (like Sol) are still marvelous to experience.

Please excuse my ignorance, (but I do have the treatment for that: curiosity). I do not understand FFRR, FFSS, and the use of the term registrations in this context.
Thank you.

New:
I'm embarrassed that I did not search for "half-speed mastering Decca", which would have answered my question. But other members posted responses for everyone to see.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #97,836 of 150,240
1660227377677.png

Nah, thanks, I'm good. I value my mental and physical health too much for those kinds of shenanigans… 😁
LOL, for the record that guy is not wearing an away team jersey. Just want to point out that he is wearing an English National Team jersey amongst a sea of Liverpool fans. Good chance he might be a Liverpool supporter himself and didn't get the memo about wearing red.

But point taken about being different and lauding individuality.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #97,837 of 150,240
Regarding Bifrost 2/64 and the sample rate glitches noted in some systems: we have new firmware to address it.

https://www.schiit.com/firmware

If you purchased a Bifrost 2/64 or Bifrost 2/64 upgrade and need an SDcard with the firmware on it, let us know and we'll get it out to you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 11, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #97,838 of 150,240
Regarding Bifrost 2/64 and the sample rate glitches noted in some systems: we have new firmware to address it.

If you purchased a Bifrost 2/64 or Bifrost 2/64 upgrade and need an SDcard with the firmware on it, let us know and we'll get it out to you.
You folks at Schiit are ROCKSTARS!!!!

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #97,839 of 150,240
@Jason Stoddard This is probably off topic here in a headphone forum but as far as speakers are concerned what are your go to pair for testing schiit products? Do you have a favorite in your home system. I dont know how big you are into speakers and understand work is work and you don't necessarily want to be surrounded by audio equipment 24/7. I was just curious.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #97,840 of 150,240
@Jason Stoddard This is probably off topic here in a headphone forum but as far as speakers are concerned what are your go to pair for testing schiit products? Do you have a favorite in your home system. I dont know how big you are into speakers and understand work is work and you don't necessarily want to be surrounded by audio equipment 24/7. I was just curious.
I obviously am not Jason Stoddard as far as I know, but I can say that if you look back at the Yggdrasil blind tests (https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/new-schiit-yggdrasil-blind-listening-comparison-r1045/), they used Magnepan LRS speakers in the Schiitr for that. I think this article also mentioned using some model of Salk floor standing speakers.

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #97,842 of 150,240

But, we still haven't figured out what's actually wrong with the damn things. And you already fixed it? Yikes.
Texas’ new strategy to keep Californians from moving there:

96FB0C64-E9CC-4068-BC06-813B35575F0F.jpeg
[censored]

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #97,843 of 150,240
Aug 11, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #97,844 of 150,240
Oh, and those headphone-specific parametric EQ profiles that you can find all over the internet that are intended to give your cans a Harman-esque sound profile?

Yeah, about those…

The thing is, you're usually EQ-ing at your source with these profiles, as in Roon and such. That supposed as-true-as-possible-to-a-Harman-curve audio stream then gets send out to your DAC, and then from there to your headphone amp. Both will impart their own eleven herbs and spices upon your meticulously EQ'ed signal. So unless you replicate the exact setup that was in place when that profile was created, including at least a rough approximation in type and quality of interconnects — which would be quite surprising as these setups are rarely ever listed alongside any of these profiles — whatever it is that ultimately comes out of your cans has very little to do with an actual Harman curve.

Maybe that's the reason why even my most enjoyable cans sound like a$$ with those EQs applied. Maybe not. Maybe Roon's DSP implementation sucks and introduces some sort of distortion. Who knows. I sure as heck don't. But the fervor with wich some prefer to defend certain "curves" and these EQ profiles, as if these things were the be-all, end-all solution to their objectivist fever dreams? Only to then skewer the results they are trying to get by pushing their preciously EQ'd signal through a chain that in no form resembles that of the original creator of the EQ profile? That part just tickles me to no end.

And while I'm at it: This whole thing of course also applies to cans that were designed to adhere to any specific curve right out of the box, be it Harman or any other kind of sound profile. So unless they're selling you a complete system, including DAC, amp, and interconnects; whatever it is that comes out of your cans simply isn't "what the artist/manufacturer/god/yo'mama intended." I know that that's a hard pill to swallow for some. A pill that grows bigger in direct proportion to your gear's MSRP, no less. But unless you live in a universe with laws of physics quite different to those in mine, things simply just don't work like that.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Mostly because I feel like I'm kinda getting too old to waste the little spare time that I have available to myself on pointless arguments that don't actually further a given issue in any meaningful way. If you like your Harman curve EQ profiles and your room correction and your fancifully "wrapped" MQA audio file burritos and your 1.21 gigawatts of flux-compensated 35.8 THX Dolby Surround Pro Logic II HDMI class-d supercomputer magic decoder box thingy that requires a master in engineering and system administration from MIT just to set up, then all the more power to you. Seriously, I couldn't care less. Enjoy your home theater, I'm sure it sounds fantastic to your ears.

But words still do have some meaning. So you don't get to sit there on that high horse of yours and barf all this verbal diarrhea out into the world that any of this BS would even loosely resemble something akin to "objective." Because it just doesn't.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #97,845 of 150,240
Are you suggesting we put a fence up to CA residents out? I like how you think. :smile_phones:
@Jason Stoddard I'm joking!!
Nah. Me as a former German, and you as Texan, we of all people should know that fences (and walls) don't work.

No, what Texas is doing here is much smarter than a fence: They build Texas Roadhouses all over California to teach us folks that Texas food just suuuuuuuuucks. That's much more likely to keep us Californians from ever wanting to move to Texas. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back