Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #97,096 of 150,563
I'm not even going to bother clicking over to ASR. I've got no use for a site that reviews audio gear but barely listens to the equipment being tested.

Bingo!

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #97,097 of 150,563
Hey folks!

New member's first post here. I was wondering if anyone has received & had a chance to listen to the Bifrost 2/64 board yet or knows anyone who has. Or is it too soon to ask? Based on Jason's announcement it sounded like it could be shipped almost immediately. I've owned a Bifrost 2 since buying it new in January 2021 and would be VERY interested in an update/upgrade that would make an already very good DAC better.

Since I'm a new member, a little info: I DON'T listen with headphones. I only joined the forum to ask this question & participate when appropriate. My needs are simple & my modest system reflects that. After selling my 3000+ LP collection many years ago I now only listen to digital (95% CDs, 5% high-quality files ripped to a hard drive). My system consists of a Music Hall a15.3 integrated amp, Bifrost 2, Monitor Audio Radius 90 mini-monitors & Kantos sub (really nice, fast sub for the $). Cabling includes Dared Blue speaker cables, Cardas Quadlink interconnect and Blue Jeans & AudioQuest digital COAXes. I am currently looking for a decent transport & am waiting with interest to see/hear about Schiit's own transport. Listening environment is small but comfortable.

Thank you in advance & looking forward to hearing what others say about this update.

Dave
You should look into Roon...you might switch from 5% to 95% playback. The service is that good!

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #97,098 of 150,563
ASR has actually praised a couple of Schiit pieces, but needless to say the measurements are the only criteria for a successful review.
Maybe Schiit should figure out if it's possible to build Folkvangr #251...

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #97,099 of 150,563
You haven't unpacked the FV yet? This is like the legendary MG we haven't seen yet.........
Well….I have opened the box, so I know that the Folkvangr is real and not just a Norse legend.:beyersmile:

I hope to finally use it in about two weeks’ time…

The MG is a different story.
I’m beginning to think that it is the stuff of legend, and about as real as The Loch Ness Monster.
Sightings of the mythical MG are certainly less frequent!

I was supposed to take delivery in May.

It now looks like it could be late September, so bang goes any summer driving on country roads.

Parts availability is the problem and this car won’t even have a computer chip in it!

I’ll just have to be patient.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #97,101 of 150,563
07CF9E9B-B156-4B1B-BEB8-2EE2FD9C2926.jpeg213B0BD9-FB93-4EC3-A69A-C836B95A8FE9.jpeg

The start of mini speakers in birdseye maple.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #97,102 of 150,563
You should look into Roon...you might switch from 5% to 95% playback. The service is that good!
Unless you listen to classical music. Or has that changed?

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #97,104 of 150,563
Hey folks!

New member's first post here. I was wondering if anyone has received & had a chance to listen to the Bifrost 2/64 board yet or knows anyone who has. Or is it too soon to ask? Based on Jason's announcement it sounded like it could be shipped almost immediately. I've owned a Bifrost 2 since buying it new in January 2021 and would be VERY interested in an update/upgrade that would make an already very good DAC better.

Since I'm a new member, a little info: I DON'T listen with headphones. I only joined the forum to ask this question & participate when appropriate. My needs are simple & my modest system reflects that. After selling my 3000+ LP collection many years ago I now only listen to digital (95% CDs, 5% high-quality files ripped to a hard drive). My system consists of a Music Hall a15.3 integrated amp, Bifrost 2, Monitor Audio Radius 90 mini-monitors & Kantos sub (really nice, fast sub for the $). Cabling includes Dared Blue speaker cables, Cardas Quadlink interconnect and Blue Jeans & AudioQuest digital COAXes. I am currently looking for a decent transport & am waiting with interest to see/hear about Schiit's own transport. Listening environment is small but comfortable.

Thank you in advance & looking forward to hearing what others say about this update.

Dave
Welcome to the forums! My name is also Dave, and like you I don't use headphones. This thread in particular is full of good info and humor.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #97,105 of 150,563
I find that I (personally) disagree with just about everything that I read at ASR.
I'm torn. I like a repository of measurements on the web, like Stereophile's and this. OTOH, the guy himself apparently doesn't know how to do measurements correctly. Can one draw conclusions comparing things that have all been measured incorrectly? I'm not sure he does it incorrectly consistently, iykwim.

But his acolytes, omg, they need to get a life. A dunking in a shark tank would be a more pleasant experience than expressing a different opinion than that expressed in the review.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #97,106 of 150,563
Unless you listen to classical music. Or has that changed?
It has gotten a bit better over the past few years, but the Roon daemon and client are still somewhat unstable on Linux and macOS.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #97,108 of 150,563
Any chance we will see a Unison USB-C card for the Yggdrasil? Is there much appetite for it beyond me?
All that would change is the plug, everything else would remain the same. So I'm not sure what you hope you would gain from a USB-C card for Yggy, or any other Schiit.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #97,110 of 150,563
I always thought the secret reason Magni Hersey was developed/released was a direct tongue-in-cheek pander to ASR and their hyperfocus on measurements...and whaddya know, they reviewed it positively!
Well, "Good Measurements" is a flavor. It might be compared to going into an ice cream parlor and asking for the flavor of ice cream with "the least carrageenan and the most emulsifiers", but if there is a substantial customer base out there why not serve them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back