Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #97,007 of 153,152
Never heard of this group. Spent the last couple of hours listening to them. Thanks for the recommendation. I really like their sound. Of course EDM and 80’s are my thing. 😁
You might also like the Midnight if you like the vibe of Dark All Day

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #97,008 of 153,152
Nicely put @ArmchairPhilosopher.:relaxed:
I don't pretend to understand how Mike's 'time and frequency domain optimised digital filter' works on my Yggy.
All I know is that it is the best sounding DAC I've ever heard and I am just grateful to him for designing and producing such a fantastic product.
+1. I have had my Yggy LiM for just about a month and I am very pleased with the music/SQ I am hearing. I am not quite as vintage of a human as @Baldr, but close. I very much appreciate his work on the Yggy along with the Schiit team. The LiM likely will be my "statement" piece as far as DACs go.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #97,009 of 153,152
Maybe his cat upchucked in the SD slot after eating some BBQ from Texas or NC, depending on one's bias. Or maybe it was from listening to music played through GE tubes or un-cryoed cables. Or all of the above.
I have cryoed my GE tubes and my cables. Do I need to cryo my SD card? What about my bits? Do I have to cryo each bit?

On a serious note - if you turn off NOS and do not add any filter, it sounds like you are listening to the unfiltered output of the digital conversion to analog. But if the sample rate is huge then the high frequency garbage that is not being filtered is assumed to be so high even bats cannot hear it? (I'm a mechanical engineer, I do not need a PhD thesis on this)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #97,010 of 153,152
LOL, I actually quite enjoy a lot of synthwave. It brings back that 80s nostalgia. Maybe that has something to do with it? Or not?
I got into synthwave and vaperware on Minidiscs over the last couple of years, for that 80s nostalgia too

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #97,012 of 153,152
If you can insert it "both ways," it's not fully inserted. Label side up. Push it all the way in.

Thanks Jason!

I ran around to a few local retailers and realized pretty quickly that 8GB cards are, to use the vernacular of the cool kids, unobtanium. Not much available at retail locations smaller than 128GB. (Amazon has 8GB cards in stock, but even with Prime, they're a week away.) (yeah, first world problems)

An 8GB card was located in one of my other devices and after reformatting to the specified params, it worked!

As an aside: after looking inside while I was retrieving a mis-aimed SD card, I noticed that the SD card connector won't allow the card to be inserted all the way in. There will still be a bit of the card poking out the back. Glad I didn't force it.

Bottom line: 2GB cards are too small, 32GB cards are too big. 8GB is just right.

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #97,013 of 153,152
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #97,014 of 153,152
Bottom line: 2GB cards are too small, 32GB cards are too big. 8GB is just right.
Glad you got it sorted out. 8GB cards are ideal, but I was able to use a 32GB microSD card to flash my BF2/64 firmware on my BF2. It's all about making sure the filesystem and format are as specified. Oh, and making sure it is seated properly in that persnickety slot. :D

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #97,016 of 153,152
Two albums that weirdly work exceptionally well for me through Gumby and Folkvangr:

Gunship - Gunship (Instrumental)
…and…
Gunship - Dark All Day (Instrumental)

If you want to try just one song, give Woken Furies on Dark All Day a shot. Clear, spacious, deep, wide … all the things.

Also, John Carpenter's Lost Themes I, II, and III, and the Mr. Robot soundtracks.

It's almost as if Folkvangr was specifically made to play synthwave.
Thanks for the Gunship recommendation, loving the music so far through my Gumby.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #97,017 of 153,152
I have cryoed my GE tubes and my cables. Do I need to cryo my SD card? What about my bits? Do I have to cryo each bit?

On a serious note - if you turn off NOS and do not add any filter, it sounds like you are listening to the unfiltered output of the digital conversion to analog. But if the sample rate is huge then the high frequency garbage that is not being filtered is assumed to be so high even bats cannot hear it? (I'm a mechanical engineer, I do not need a PhD thesis on this)
I wouldn’t recommend you cryo your bits. Not even the 1’s. I almost cryo’d my bits on a long run last winter and it was not comfortable at all.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #97,018 of 153,152
Thanks for the fine print 😆 🤣 I was about to ask if you were making heated seats next... but FV is kinda like a heater...
...as long as the heated Schiit-r seats don't require a monthly subscription, like BMW... :D

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #97,019 of 153,152
Fellow owners of older Gungnirs, didn't they used to come with a shiny source button? My 2013 vintage model just came back from Unison upgrading, and I'd sware the button is now matte. Have I finally lost what's left of my mind?

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #97,020 of 153,152
...as long as the heated Schiit-r seats don't require a monthly subscription, like BMW... :D
Oh, and Jason already said that, so... this post is unnecessary. D'oh!

Thanks for your patience,

/ds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back