Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 13, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #96,241 of 150,704
Yes, it's a hybrid SACD with a CD layer. I've been playing it in my car, for my 60 minute work journey...! Or, you can order just a gold CD, or a direct download. 😀

Oh, the SACD came with a DVD data disc too. I haven't explored it yet, so I'm not sure if that's for ripping to a PC or not?
Thank you, StimpyWan.

I was checking out the Bailey/Bach Cello Suites on Octave's site. Was that your review on their page?

I see that @judson_w has that collection too!

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #96,242 of 150,704
These guys are great too:
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/
They have both types you bought.
Cool, thanks for the recommendation. Worked out to just over $130 (hooray easy Euro-to-USD conversion at the moment) for eight 6N6P and one matched pair 6N1P, including shipping. Good to keep in mind.
EB7ADBBC-8968-46F1-B837-8C5800665DA7.jpeg

On the 2nd shelf is my custom homemade version of a Dynaco ST35. It uses Dave Gillespie’s EFB mod as well as an adjustable feedback circuit. The voltage gain is a 5751 and phase splitter is a 12AU7.

The rest are all Bottlehead kits.

Next shelf down has a Foreplay 2 (my first tube kit!), Reduction phono preamp, and Smash SET preamp.

Bottom shelf has another homemade Foreplay 2 (wired for 6SN7), homemade Quickie battery powered tube preamp, and finally S.E.X 2.0 headphone/speaker amp.

I used to love all of these kits. I still have a soft spot for the Foreplay 2 and Reduction. Smash and Quickie were very unique designs but required tubes that tended to be very microphonic. I had a similar issue with the Sex amp but also good tubes were getting harder to source.

I think Bottlehead has learned their lesson when it comes to using oddball tubes. (Current Sex amp being an exception.)

I’m tempted to try out the Moreplay preamp which has gotten some good reviews.

I love the simplicity of their kits however after owning a PS Audio Gain Cell Dac preamp it’s become clear to me that pots are terrible for volume controls. I’m tempted to marry the Moreplay with a Saga for the latter’s volume control.
heh, my Bottlehead kit takes up a couple shelves in its unassembled state... didn't want to pay for their assembly fee so ended up paying Schiit to build me a Folkvangr. What a value!

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #96,243 of 150,704
Thank you, StimpyWan.

I was checking out the Bailey/Bach Cello Suites on Octave's site. Was that your review on their page?

You are welcome. 🙂

And hey, I'm famous (or infamous), but unfortunately, not me. I'm not that literate or eloquent. Though, after @judson_w mentioned the recording, I did give it a quick listen, and I think it'll be my next order. I loved that piece from the movie Master and Commander, and didn't know it was a Bach composition. So, I'm glad it was mentioned here. 😃

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #96,244 of 150,704
I emailed Schiit, enquiring about spare tubes for my new Folkvangr.
I was told that they are not yet available!

I don’t understand that, as the Folkvangr uses the same tubes as Valhalla 2.

My assumption...famous last words....is they may need to work out optimal (mailing) packaging for a 10-tube set. As I'm sure others have got, my tubes came in two boxes of one channel each inside the master-pack. I'm sure those were ad-hoc/packed while staging for Folkvangr production. I'd guess Schiit would work out a one-box 10 tube set for Folkvangr supply go-forward.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #96,245 of 150,704
Thank you, StimpyWan.

You are welcome. 🙂

And hey, I'm famous (or infamous), but unfortunately, not me. I'm not that literate or eloquent. Though, after @judson_w mentioned the recording, I did give it a quick listen, and I think it'll be my next order. I loved that piece from the movie Master and Commander, and didn't know it was a Bach composition. So, I'm glad it was mentioned here. 😃

My one big gripe of Octave's release of the Cello suites is that Volume 1 has Suites 1, 3, and 5 while Volume 2 has Suites 2, 4, and 6. I would have preferred 1-3 and 4-6. Outside of that the sound was quite good. It is the second copy of the Cello Suites I own. The first is a copy I made of the a friend's copy of Pablo Casal's recordings. It was a reissue, of course, but I copied to reel to reel because I felt like it would be appropriate. I should listen to them again soon.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #96,246 of 150,704
My assumption...famous last words....is they may need to work out optimal (mailing) packaging for a 10-tube set. As I'm sure others have got, my tubes came in two boxes of one channel each inside the master-pack. I'm sure those were ad-hoc/packed while staging for Folkvangr production. I'd guess Schiit would work out a one-box 10 tube set for Folkvangr supply go-forward.
You could be right @JS27
They told me to wait 90 days.

It made sense to try to source some here in the UK anyway.

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #96,248 of 150,704
Can you share the approximate cost that went for? Very round numbers, just for curiosity.
Do you mean the cost of the tubes?
6N6P (Nevz Military grade) were £12.50 each
6N23P EV (Reflektor Military grade) were £37.50 each.
'Standard' 6N1P are available from £4.50 each

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #96,249 of 150,704
613B399B-B535-4148-9E68-78035A722715.jpeg
Aegir is here and it is beautiful!
(Image orientation)… Don’t. You. Dare. Change. It. I just got off the woodlot bucking birch trees (and my spouse messing around with a wood chipper). In my current state (mild DEET-toxicity, bloodloss from the bugs, sweat, sore), I thought you had bolted your Aegir to the wall! Yes, @MtnMan307 , I know carpeted walls are gauche (had them in the 80s as a teenager). Enjoy your new toy, sir. :)

Jul 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #96,250 of 150,704
@golfbravobravo said:
We used to dream of living in a cardboard box.

:beyersmile:
You were lucky!
We lived for 3 months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank....
It's been a while but once again we are back to the four Yorkshiremen :relaxed:

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #96,251 of 150,704
To be fair, I don't think it's a big issue. I just happen to have both headphones, and so I swap a lot. I do find the FV very engaging, and I kept adjusting the volume to get more engaged, regardless of headphone pairing and music. I'm trying to figure out how to AB the Lyr, short of just swapping RCAs a lot. :D
Sys?

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #96,252 of 150,704
Long story short: You Schiit heads have ruined my $10k home theater.

Short story long:. After wandering away from 2 channel many years ago and chasing home theater-dom, a Tidal subscription and an HD600 for Christmas and recently acquired multibit Asgard has put me back in the audio-snob column. 🤓. What really drove this home was how disappointing Tidal sounded on the Roku on the big rig.

I am sure everyone here realizes how it happened, and it's nothing a Bitfrost probably wouldn't fix...but I just felt like sharing tonight and calling out an appreciation on what Schiit is going on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back