Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #95,627 of 150,446
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #95,629 of 150,446
From Folkvangr's user manual:
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 12.19.03 PM.png

But… Folkvangr doesn't have any LEDs on the front. 😳
So I guess I can lick the caps roll the tubes immediately?! 🤪
So here we are waiting for your review of the sound but get a review of the manual instead. Fine. :sob:

Jul 2, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #95,630 of 150,446
So here we are waiting for your review of the sound but get a review of the manual instead. Fine. :sob:
Don't wait. August 1st is still quite a ways out.

Oh, and it's a real bummer that I'm not allowed to post anything about my thoughts on how Folkvangr sounds, because… Boy, do I have opinions on this thing! 🤣

Jul 2, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #95,631 of 150,446

Oh, and it's a real bummer that I'm not allowed to post anything about my thoughts on how Folkvangr sounds, because… Boy, do I have opinions on this thing! 🤣
Of that I have no doubt.
Seriously, I really enjoy your reviews and posts. Even the 3K+ word length ones. Loved your review of your Tyr purchase, which sealed my decision that when I have a listening room/space to support real speakers (don't ask what I live with now - my wife bought them before we met), I'll be buying the Tyrs to drive them.

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about the Folkvangr, and compare with mine (when it arrives - FedEx says Wednesday, we'll see....).

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #95,632 of 150,446
Of that I have no doubt.
Seriously, I really enjoy your reviews and posts. Even the 3K+ word length ones. Loved your review of your Tyr purchase, which sealed my decision that when I have a listening room/space to support real speakers (don't ask what I live with now - my wife bought them before we met), I'll be buying the Tyrs to drive them.

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about the Folkvangr, and compare with mine (when it arrives - FedEx says Wednesday, we'll see....).

There's a lot that can be said about this amp, there are a ton of nuances to explore. Way too much for me to do proper justice in the context of a review right now, since I've still got some client work to get done over the weekend.
This much I can tell you right now, though: The review will not be quite as gushing as the Tyr one, but I have a strong hunch that you will almost definitely not regret your purchase.

So, yes. A review will indeed be coming soon-adjacent. Probably early next week, work load permitting.
But don't tell anyone. ;p

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #95,633 of 150,446
So, I'm in Winston-Salem in NC, on the way to Charleston from Pittsburgh. Why, you ask, well it was about half way. So looking for something to eat, we stumble on the Camel City BBQ. Between us, we had the pulled pork, the brisket and the ribs. All were very good. However, I say I've had better in Nashville and in Dallas. But this is a tiny city in NC.

The big surprise was the fried okra and the pork scratchings, which were amazing.
PXL_20220702_211119237.jpg

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #95,634 of 150,446
Okay, okay, I am weak-willed audio-phool. I couldn't resist the siren song of the lovely tube glow, and just placed my order for a Folkvangr. And, apostasy for me, I've ordered it in *black* -- everything else is silver in the rack -- simply to augment that glow. (I consider that fact a minor victory over my audio OCD at least. Ha!)

The very first Schiit component I bought many years ago was a Bifrost Uber after reading the review in the New York Times followed closely by my beloved Valhalla. After reading Jason's comment that Folkvangr is Valhalla on steroids as it were, I simply couldn't resist.

Now I need to get a new single ended cable for my HD800's, since the original one met its untimely death at the paws of my daughter's overzealous puppy, and I only have a balanced cable which I've been happily using with my BF2/Jot2 setup in the bedroom. Time to spend a little time on Etsy. Anyone have recommendations? I'll probably have to re-jigger my audio rack too to make a well-ventilated space for this monster. Might have to retire the NAD CD player...

On the rational side of the equation, I do live in Minnesota, so Folkvangr will be an effective space heater for half of the year.

Still catching up on Jason's thread (been away from it for a long time), so I apologize in advance if I've missed a post discussing this pairing, but has anyone who's gotten a Folkvangr used it with a HD800 or HD800S yet? Impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoying the new Porcupine Tree and the Radiohead-in-all-but-name release by The Smile. And, of course, I've been spinning Bowie's Ziggy rather frequently in honor of its 50th anniversary (how can that possibly be??). Happy listening all.
Hart audio interconnects are great.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #95,635 of 150,446

I suppose we have @Ripper2860 to blame for this. Well, *and* this would be more accurate. Sigh. :sweat:

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #95,636 of 150,446
Jul 2, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #95,637 of 150,446
I completely understand that the Folkvangr is a single ended design, so not well-suited to my balanced set up.

I just wondered if its preamp output could be connected to one of the single ended inputs of my Freya S, which will then magically output Balanced, via the Nexus gain stage?.

That will work, in the past I have used Freya S for a similar purpose. However Loikus is even better for that type of application. Lokius put my Freya S in the closet. But until you have a Lokius...

Hope this helps
Noah

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #95,638 of 150,446
Jul 2, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #95,639 of 150,446
So, I'm in Winston-Salem in NC, on the way to Charleston from Pittsburgh. Why, you ask, well it was about half way. So looking for something to eat, we stumble on the Camel City BBQ. Between us, we had the pulled pork, the brisket and the ribs. All were very good. However, I say I've had better in Nashville and in Dallas. But this is a tiny city in NC.

The big surprise was the fried okra and the pork scratchings, which were amazing.
PXL_20220702_211119237.jpg
That looks delish - well except for the okra. Never been a fan no matter how it's prepared.
So what are "pork scratchings"??

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #95,640 of 150,446
That looks delish - well except for the okra. Never been a fan no matter how it's prepared.
So what are "pork scratchings"??
Deep fried pig skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back