Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 1, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #95,566 of 150,446
Checked my e-mail this evening, there's a note from Schiit that my FV has shipped! Tracking says I'll have in on Wednesday, 7/6, upgraded from the original anticipated date of 7/8! The Gungnir I ordered is supposed to be here on Saturday so I'll have time to let it warm up a bit before the big FV debut.
Given how FedEx has been funtioning lately, if they originally promised 7/8 then the earliest you will get it is 7/10. I get shipping notices with a date then FedEx updates it a couple days earlier but then when you look it hasn't even moved from the initial checkin location on the day it was promised and takes more days before you get it. I hope I am wrong but FedEx has been a severe disappointment lately. They even sent me a delivered email saying they left it on the front porch. It was not there but did get delivered the next day. I wonder if they make comittments to vendors and then lie about delivery times so that they don't take a hit on payment?

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #95,569 of 150,446
Yeah FedEx is iffy. I think a lot depends on your hub. If things come from south of me I’m usually pretty good on getting it on time. If it goes north and ends up in Troutdale…forget it!! All bets are off…could and almost always does sit there for 4-5 days🥹

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #95,570 of 150,446
All carriers are beyond iffy these days. UPS and probably FedEx have actually suspended ALL delivery time guarantees. You'll get it when you get it. God help the person who's waiting for a prescription! The topper though is Amazon. Their delivery "estimates" only involve their internal carrier network. They'll say you'll get something on Sunday if it's dumped on the Post Office's doorstep at 00:01 Sunday ignoring the fact that USPS doesn't deliver on Sunday, or on Monday when Monday is a holiday. I'll be surprised beyond belief if the FV actually shows up on Tuesday.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #95,571 of 150,446

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #95,572 of 150,446
Bet is was a good week for tube sellers. I know I’ve got 3 batches of tubes coming from different vendors
On the plus side,. pretty much all 6n6ps sound about the same to me. All I have to play with is the gain tubes and I've already got a ton from the early Lyr2 days.

Jul 1, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #95,573 of 150,446
Thanks for the suggestion of the Lyr. I'd been looking at that as we know from valiant66's post that the Magni 3 is nearly-but-not-quite there, so something with a tad more power is needed. I don't understand the math/maths/engineering so I can't read the specs and decide how much more power any given amp has compared to the Magni 3, and whether that's enough, hence the request for advice from the group.
Again very back-of-envelope calc, my estimate is that Lyr will deliver 2.4x more power than Magni 3 to your headphones. The (very rough) power (W) vs resistance (Ohm) graph:

Power vs Resistance.png

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #95,574 of 150,446
For me, anything that goes thru Olathe, Kansas sits there for days before moving on. If it ships within my state then I almost never have a delay more than a day. Amazon on the other hand almost always delivers on time for me. And since most of my purchases are with Amazon I get a lot delivered from them.

Jul 1, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #95,575 of 150,446
Danger averted.
LOL! A pair of 6N1P's that get slightly more than warm and 8 little 6N6P's. If you want some real tube heat, go big: :laughing:

Cary V12i.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #95,577 of 150,446
You really should have waited until at least FedEx (or whomever) has documented your device has landed within the state. All 90(!) freshly burnished pins are now going to develop another oxide layer that will require removal yet again! You really should know better!! :wink:
LOL! I've made that mistake before, but now I keep them sealed in my quantum tunneling chamber until ready for use. Quantums eat oxygen for breakfast. :laughing:

Jul 1, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #95,579 of 150,446
Are those yours?
That's a pic from the 'net, but I had a pair identical to them a while back....loaded with GEC KT-66's. One of those audio toys I wish I'd never sold. ☹️

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #95,580 of 150,446
LOL! A pair of 6N1P's that get slightly more than warm and 8 little 6N6P's. If you want some real tube heat, go big: :laughing:

This is the 1930 Folkvanger prototype. Obviously a view from the back, showing the power switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back