Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #94,937 of 150,484
The confirmation for my order said ships in 4-6 weeks. So, the VCXO really wasn't needed in the design?
VCXO and VCO do the exact same things. The X version is supposedly more precise since it uses a crystal oscillator rather then a tuned electronic circuit, but mere mortals are unlikely to detect any difference in an audio DAC.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #94,938 of 150,484
VCXO and VCO do the exact same things. The X version is supposedly more precise since it uses a crystal oscillator rather then a tuned electronic circuit, but mere mortals are unlikely to detect any difference in an audio DAC.
So you're saying those who buy a $10k dCS clock are immortal... or crazy? :beyersmile:

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #94,939 of 150,484
So you're saying those who buy a $10k dCS clock are immortal... or crazy? :beyersmile:
"Sometimes you sees what you want to see and you hears what you want to hear." - Harry Nilsson

Jun 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #94,940 of 150,484
I read that when it was first posted, but Baldr tends to be so cryptic that I never assume a product is coming out until Jason announces it...

I want to pull the trigger on a bunch of Schiit (Mani 2, Maybe Maxious to act as XLR pre-amp, and whatever replaces the Mimby), but we were told to wait until December at the earliest for the Mimby X to appear.

Jun 23, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #94,941 of 150,484
Because we will continue to redesign to ensure our ability to ship high-value, low-cost products. Simple as that. No cloak and dagger stuff. If AKM and ESS both take a header, it's on to TI and Cirrus.

Our own delta-sigma tech isn't economically a direct replacement for commercial chipsets...especially now when the availability of both DSPs and FPGAs are sketchy. It's also still very much a work in progress, from what I understand. It's also a year in which we're doing all we can to concentrate on keeping Bifrost 2 and Yggdrasil in production. Soooooo...don't hold your breath waiting.
Thank you for your response I did not think you were being, "cloak and dagger" as you have always been very transparent in your communications. It was more my audio nervosa / Mimby envy talking.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #94,943 of 150,484
I know this question has been posed endlessly, but maybe I will elicit a new facet by asking it yet again - What benefit would I see by going from a single Vidar to monoblock Vidars? I have 86db efficient speakers (Vandersteen 2Ce Sig 3) in a 300 sq ft room where I can not exceed 90db volume without my ears hurting. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #94,944 of 150,484
we were told to wait until December at the earliest for the Mimby X to appear.
And I do need to emphasize "and maybe not" on the Modi Multibit 2 and the Unison Multibit card. It all depends on whether or not Analog Devices ships their DSPs to the new, delayed schedule, which followed the new, delayed schedule, which followed the new, delayed schedule...etc. If they ship in November, fine. If they don't, expect more of the same...nothing.

Sorry, but this is the new reality. I also need to let everyone know that more price increases are imminent, specifically on Vidar and Aegir. The price of transformers has gone completely nuts. If you're sitting, the time to move is now. I hate being "buy it now!" salesy, but this is reality. I'd rather give you some warning.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #94,945 of 150,484
I know this question has been posed endlessly, but maybe I will elicit a new facet by asking it yet again - What benefit would I see by going from a single Vidar to monoblock Vidars? I have 86db efficient speakers (Vandersteen 2Ce Sig 3) in a 300 sq ft room where I can not exceed 90db volume without my ears hurting. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
I've been thinking the same thing myself.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #94,946 of 150,484

Headroom.

JC

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #94,948 of 150,484
In your case, and depending on what else is in your chain, I would say that you might be able to hear some slight improvements in imaging and detail retrieval.

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #94,949 of 150,484
And I do need to emphasize "and maybe not" on the Modi Multibit 2 and the Unison Multibit card. It all depends on whether or not Analog Devices ships their DSPs to the new, delayed schedule, which followed the new, delayed schedule, which followed the new, delayed schedule...etc. If they ship in November, fine. If they don't, expect more of the same...nothing.

Sorry, but this is the new reality. I also need to let everyone know that more price increases are imminent, specifically on Vidar and Aegir. The price of transformers has gone completely nuts. If you're sitting, the time to move is now. I hate being "buy it now!" salesy, but this is reality. I'd rather give you some warning.
The Modi Multibit is a hall of fame DAC!

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #94,950 of 150,484
+1 for my Lyr 3... When I bought it - there was no black chassis option.
(unless Lyr 3+ or Lyr 4 is coming out soon - I will order one automatically the second I can, sight unseen, in black! :wink:)
But....if it's sight unseen, how will you know its black? :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back