Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 10, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #94,456 of 150,566
So basically, the nukes scattered around the country are only 3% likely to go off for no reason while sitting happily in their silos? Cool cool....
Which may (or may not?) be better than a 3% chance they go off when they hit a target. :laughing:

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #94,458 of 150,566
I saw on Reddit that some UFOs maybe block the nukes from working. :stuck_out_tongue:
On Reddit? Well it's definitely true then. :laughing: :laughing:

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #94,459 of 150,566
Speaking of Reddit...there was a cartoon going around a while back. It showed a young lady sitting on a toilet looking at a cell phone [a wholesome side view, that revealed nothing].
The caption was something like, "I did research."

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #94,460 of 150,566
Is this place called "Reddit" because that is where people "read it" (as in "red" not "reed" :L3000:)? I have no real idea about such things but tend to mistrust them in spite of their being on the interwebs and there for it's twue! It's TWUE!

As Brian Wilson said, "I guess I just wasn't made for these times"...

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #94,461 of 150,566
One of my favorite authors of Science Fiction. Ringworld would make an amazing limited Netflix/whatever series, I think it would be too big (pun intended) for a single movie. Would be a hoot to see a CGI Puppeteer. The Kzin have been done in animated form, oddly, in the cartoon Star Trek series from WAY BACK in 1973/74. I never really understood why a Kzinti was in Star Trek. The most important question is who would you cast as Teela Brown? (Side note: this post is appropriate to the sine wave, as it includes Kzinti, who are giant bipedal cat warriors.)

Edit: there have been several aborted attempts to do a Ringworld movie or series that have never seen the light of day. Last one I was aware of was Amazon announcing one back in 2017. Not sure if it has been abandoned, or what at this point.
I like his stories. Fun stuff with some decent science behind it, but not so much it's work to read them. A good balance for fun. A friend introduced me to Peter Watts, who has some amazing ideas but is much more work. Frank Herbert, too, from a generation ago. I wasn't even thinking of a Puppeteer, more the space ships and Ringworld itself. But, yes, a good CGI Puppeteer would be fun to see.

Boy, that animated Star Trek was bad. I think I vaguely remember the episode you mention, but I'm trying to forget.

I only believe stuff on the internet when it's posted by French models:

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #94,462 of 150,566
Soooo...it's an AVR with point to point wiring? 🤣
Someday, I'll need a replacement for my Krell Foundation (which is awesome, btw).
Having something that can do eARC and uses multibit would make my wallet spring from my pocket and open wide all on its own.
"Fully balanced" (whatever that means), of course...

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #94,465 of 150,566
So you're saying that when you have noise in your tube gear, you just need to buy a new house? :L3000:
Happened to me too. One of the (Linlai, new production) 2A3 tubes on one of my amps produced an occasional faint bzzt. Managed to reduce it but not totally eliminate it by moving all the gear around, rerouting wires. Then we swapped that house for another nearby. Carried all the gear over, reconnected. Absolutely zero bzzt since.

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #94,466 of 150,566
Happened to me too. One of the (Linlai, new production) 2A3 tubes on one of my amps produced an occasional faint bzzt. Managed to reduce it but not totally eliminate it by moving all the gear around, rerouting wires. Then we swapped that house for another nearby. Carried all the gear over, reconnected. Absolutely zero bzzt since.
I run into few issues but then I tend to monitor the AC signal to my audio gear as well as using well shielded cables. The gentleman I mentioned only realized he had AC line issues in his previous house after he moved.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #94,467 of 150,566
A friend just mentioned a slight background noise in a tube amp, he bought a new house, no more noise.
Seems a somewhat expensive solution. Even the Shunyata products are cheaper than that.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #94,468 of 150,566
Back to Schiit-related stuff. While camped out in my listening corner enjoying my Aegir-amplified head phones I've been re-reading Larry Niven short stories. I'll bet the Beowulf Schaefer stories could be mushed together into a movie or a single-season TV series. Now that CGI has gotten good, Ringworld might make a good movie.
Larry Niven is one of the best hard science fiction, ahem, speculative fiction writers of all time. See the wikipedia entry for Ringworld, M.I.T. students and its stability.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #94,469 of 150,566
a PSA:

My laptop is in the shop. It has all my web passwords. Now I have to reset all my site passwords as the laptop may not survive its stay.

Everyone, please get a cross device syncing password manager. Otherwise, we'll miss you when you can't log in to head-fi anymore. Well, at least some of you. I'm sure everyone has their own list ....

Jason, for sure. We'll definitely miss him...

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #94,470 of 150,566
Seems a somewhat expensive solution. Even the Shunyata products are cheaper than that.
His moving had absolutely nothing to do with noise in a tube amp. :ksc75smile: He just found after moving the noise was gone thus he had issues with wiring in the previous house.
He just always thought it was the amp itself till he tried it again in the new location lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back