Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 10, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #92,881 of 151,643
May 10, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #92,882 of 151,643
May 10, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #92,884 of 151,643
Not sure if we’re cat owners now, but this little friend has been hanging out in our yard all day today. Wasn’t afraid of Elma either, and Elma looked like she was ready to befriend the cat.

846C9CA3-B571-42D6-9E71-A2C15A89EBB3.jpeg

May 10, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #92,885 of 151,643
May 10, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #92,887 of 151,643
...but what percentage of the population has advanced degrees in that area?

In this era of "degree inflation", the value of advanced degrees has decreased as the standards have lowered.
A retired professor in one of my book clubs once talked about what he had to go through to get his PHD, many of the students were told they would have to get Masters degrees instead. As he put it, most anyone can get one in todays system. As far as younger folks with PHD's I can only think of eight in a group of 30 people. Another ten with at least a Masters but this is a college town. 68% of the county is a student, grad student, or college graduate.

As far as myself, I will never have to apply for another job or work on a resume. I can be just a woodworker who can hold my own in other areas if I wish. :)

Getting back to Schiit, a LISST in place of a 6SN7 tube does wonders for a DarkVoice amp. Eliminating that portion of the filament circuit removes most of the hum I found unbearable.

23348833-7F45-4CE6-9A57-6A24C64A88FD.jpeg

Also for the benefit of @ArmchairPhilosopher, I am picking up a lot of noise with 6sn7's in a Mjolnir that are normally dead silent with no signal most likely due to stacking three inexpensive adapters on top of each other. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #92,888 of 151,643
"As far as myself, I will never have to apply for another job or work on a resume. I can be just a woodworker who can hold my own in other areas if I wish."

You mean "humble woodworker", right?

"Also for the benefit of @ArmchairPhilosopher, I am picking up a lot of noise with 6sn7's that are normally dead silent with no signal most likely due to stacking three inexpensive adapters on top of each other."

I wondered about the multiple points of contact myself. It would be nice to have a single, tall, adapter into which the 6SN7 could be fully seated.

May 10, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #92,889 of 151,643
"As far as myself, I will never have to apply for another job or work on a resume. I can be just a woodworker who can hold my own in other areas if I wish."

You mean "humble woodworker", right?

"Also for the benefit of @ArmchairPhilosopher, I am picking up a lot of noise with 6sn7's that are normally dead silent with no signal most likely due to stacking three inexpensive adapters on top of each other."

I wondered about the multiple points of contact myself. It would be nice to have a single, tall, adapter into which the 6SN7 could be fully seated.
Unfortunately the Mjolnir is made to use much smaller tubes. I tried a single nine pin adapter and could not get it to line up with the 6sn7 adapter installed. I am sure I could figure something out if I wanted to but I have too many other irons in the fire right now. :beerchug:

May 10, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #92,890 of 151,643
Also for the benefit of @ArmchairPhilosopher, I am picking up a lot of noise with 6sn7's in a Mjolnir that are normally dead silent with no signal most likely due to stacking three inexpensive adapters on top of each other. :ksc75smile:
By now I've tried almost all 6SN7 tube types I have here (all but the JJs, because why even bother, right?! 😈) and all of them have been dead-silent in the Mjolnir while some of them (especially the Raytheons and some of the Psvanes) are noisy in Freya+.

The stack of two 9-pin socket savers that I am using per tube are also the cheapest and most plastic-y ones that you can find. I have much nicer ones coming later this week, though.

I'd love to figure out what components, or combination of components, makes some tubes act noisy and others not, and why they can be noisy in one amp and silent in another amp of the same design.

That's weird. And weird stuff is always very interesting to me. :)

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #92,891 of 151,643
By now I've tried almost all 6SN7 tube types I have here (all but the JJs, because why even bother, right?! 😈) and all of them have been dead-silent in the Mjolnir while some of them (especially the Raytheons and some of the Psvanes) are noisy in Freya+.

The stack of two 9-pin socket savers that I am using per tube are also the cheapest and most plastic-y ones that you can find. I have much nicer ones coming later this week, though.

I'd love to figure out what components, or combination of components, makes some tubes act noisy and others not, and why they can be noisy in one amp and silent in another amp of the same design.

I've had plenty of experiences where a given tube (new or NOS) works noise-free in some of my tube amps, but turns out to be noisy in others. No way to tell in advance.

May 10, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #92,892 of 151,643

I misunderstood then, I thought the Raytheons were noisy in the Mjolnir, they are for me lol. Even Melz are noisy with the adapters and mine are dead silent in other amps. The DarkVoice is notoriously noisy with Russian tubes and I suspect some of the specs are different enough to cause issues.

May 10, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #92,893 of 151,643
Noise. It's sometimes a part of the "Tube" experience.

May 10, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #92,894 of 151,643
Noise. It's sometimes a part of the "Tube" experience.
The SQ when right can make up for that. :)

A small addition helps 6SN7’s in a Mjolnir.

BCECDCC9-74D8-477C-A72D-E4D1EB938593.jpeg

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #92,895 of 151,643
Not sure if we’re cat owners now, but this little friend has been hanging out in our yard all day today. Wasn’t afraid of Elma either, and Elma looked like she was ready to befriend the cat.

846C9CA3-B571-42D6-9E71-A2C15A89EBB3.jpeg
One never "owns" a cat, one is permitted to attend to the cat's needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back