Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #92,536 of 150,459
In the late 70's our submarine was shooting torpedoes at a test range off the coast of Vancouver Island, and we parked in Nanaimo. I and two other sailors got two days off so we rented a 1967 Buick from Rent A Wreck and drove to Victoria to see the sights. On the way we polished off two bottles of good Canadian whiskey and once there started on a third. We got arrested for being drunk and playing frisbee on the beautiful green Parliament lawn. Those Mounties didn't have a sense of humor about some drunk US Navy sailors... they eventually let us go after calling the boat and holding us in the cell overnight to sober up. That was the last time I had Canadian whiskey. :)

Lol.

Sounds about right...
😀😀

May 5, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #92,539 of 150,459
Interesting.
Too bad the road noise graph didn't include both Texas and NC. We're saved from missing an entire topic for folks to argue about. Page after page of average potholes per mile, median pothole depth, the opportunity to overload SQ with "surface quality". The mind boggles.....
Don't worry, I won't take part in any discussion bragging about how bad things are where I live. I can't compete with Yorkshiremen after all.

As a former car audio shop owner and IASCA competitor I can confirm that car audio is the land of fear, witchcraft, and superstition. Abandon all hope ye who enter therein. :)
The factory stereo in my current car was enough of a joke a case could be made for the manufacturer to have left it out. The stereo I put in has decent sound. That said, my home gear sounds better. I think it sounds better even if my car isn't moving and engine, road and wind noise add to 0 dB. Anyway, with the proper application of fear, witchcraft and superstition, decent sound in a car is possible (even if you're after music and not SPL).

Not too much, you don't want to bruise the tequila!
Yet another reason I prefer scotch to tequila: scotch is tougher, it doesn't bruise.

May 5, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #92,540 of 150,459
Anyway, with the proper application of fear, witchcraft and superstition, decent sound in a car is possible (even if you're after music and not SPL).
And much like in a home, the proper witchcraft for a car is treatment of the surfaces and spaces to try and create a more acoustically friendly environment. But let's be honest, you can never create a perfect listening space in any car that will be driven on normal roads, so SPL becomes your friend to overcome the noise. :)

May 5, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #92,541 of 150,459
The factory stereo in my current car was enough of a joke a case could be made for the manufacturer to have left it out.
OMG this... The stereo in my wife's 2013 Genesis is awful. But hey, at least it will play MP3s thru a truly abhorrent user interface.

But let's be honest, you can never create a perfect listening space in any car that will be driven on normal roads, so SPL becomes your friend to overcome the noise. :)
I drive a Wrangler so the required SPLs to defeat wind/road noise at highway speeds will cause major hearing loss. Thankfully, most of my Jeep time is around town.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #92,542 of 150,459
As a former car audio shop owner and IASCA competitor I can confirm that car audio is the land of fear, witchcraft, and superstition. Abandon all hope ye who enter therein. :)
I have to admit I loved the sound from the dual 20bit Burr-Brown D/A converters in the Clarion DRX 9255 head unit.

Clarion DRX 9255.jpg

May 5, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #92,543 of 150,459
Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 7.32.29 PM.jpg

Speaking of car audio --> Discovered DACs with this thing (how important the source is)! I and others could not believe how much better this sounded vs the basic head unit (Sizzly brittle highs, crappy bass --> perfectly acceptable until this --> CDs are CDs right?)! At the time just wanted a convenient 6 disc changer haha, would have missed it if not. Need to tear it down and see what DAC chips are in it. Bummer I can't run it... compatible head unit is long gone.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #92,544 of 150,459
Yeah, but the operative word is 'USE'. His "hoarding instinct' would still compel him to amass a wide assortment of tools that would remain largely unused. Kinda like his tubes. :D
I've been out of town. Did I miss anything? :thinking:

May 5, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #92,545 of 150,459
Interesting.
Too bad the road noise graph didn't include both Texas and NC. We're saved from missing an entire topic for folks to argue about. Page after page of average potholes per mile, median pothole depth, the opportunity to overload SQ with "surface quality". The mind boggles.....
NC has pretty decent roads, at least in comparison to other places I've lived. And to I-40 running through Arkansas. I'm convinced they shoved bags of Quickrete out the back of a truck, sprayed some water on them and declared it a road.

Can't comment on Texas roads....my passport is expired so I haven't been able to visit. :laughing:

May 5, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #92,546 of 150,459
NC has pretty decent roads, at least in comparison to other places I've lived. And to I-40 running through Arkansas. I'm convinced they shoved bags of Quickrete out the back of a truck, sprayed some water on them and declared it a road.

Can't comment on Texas roads....my passport is expired so I haven't been able to visit. :laughing:
If you bring the Balvenie, I'll bring the fajitas.

May 5, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #92,547 of 150,459
Interesting.
Don't forget to factor in noise from road kill. Armadillos are much noisier to run over than squirrels. And drunks sleeping in the road are a wash between the two states. In any event, they all taste like chicken when cooked.

May 5, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #92,548 of 150,459
Don't forget to factor in noise from road kill. Armadillos are much noisier to run over than squirrels. And drunks sleeping in the road are a wash between the two states. In any event, they all taste like chicken when cooked.
LOL! I'm not even gonna ask how you know that. :laughing:

May 5, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #92,549 of 150,459
Don't worry, I won't take part in any discussion bragging about how bad things are where I live. I can't compete with Yorkshiremen after all.
I'm surprised you even thought you could: there are two classes of people in the world: those who are Yorkshiremen, and those who want to be.

PS, nobody has yet identified the Yorkshireman in the ORIGINAL 4 Yorkshireman sketch.

May 5, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #92,550 of 150,459

I'll second that! I've been pleasantly surprised by the condition of roads in NC. But then, I did live in "pothole Oakland' for many years where I learned to buy Big O tires as they guaranteed them against anything including potholes!

Really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back