Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #91,816 of 155,112
I stopped drinking about 20 years ago as I figured I drank enough between the ages of 14 and 44 to last a lifetime and had to make a change. 2 years ago when COVID started and I was slinging code 90 to 100 hours a week to support COVID at the hospital system I work for I started discovering scotches (have tried lots of suggestions from this forum) and craft beers. I now have one beer (usually an IPA or Stout) or 3 to 5 ounces of scotch each evening. Just opened a decent Speyburn the other evening So far Highland Park 12 is my go to

Ditto...achieved my quota around the same time. Do miss the more flavorful beers / ales (Stouts, Brown Ales -- mostly UK based back then).

That said, was a good adjustment for me over the long haul.

IMO the difference is the nitrogen carbonation system used by Guinness. The beer is creamy and it's impossible to drink fast.

Other than college frat boys, I do not know why anyone would want to drink beer fast... I love nitro carbonated Guinness!!! :yum:

Nitro carbonated is a treat...even in Cold Brew coffee! :beerchug:

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #91,818 of 155,112
It's interesting. If they are using nitrogen surely it isn't carbonation? Wouldn't it be nitrogenation?

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #91,819 of 155,112
IMO the difference is the nitrogen carbonation system used by Guinness. The beer is creamy and it's impossible to drink fast.
There’s a nitrogen Pepsi out now too (obviously lacking the alcohol). I’m not big into soda as a rule, but I like this Pepsi quite a bit.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #91,820 of 155,112
It's interesting. If they are using nitrogen surely it isn't carbonation? Wouldn't it be nitrogenation?
I believe it would be! To me, it's a superior and probably more expensive way to preserve the beverage.
If you like English bitter beer, try Boddington's. It's got the N2 system as well.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #91,821 of 155,112
There’s a nitrogen Pepsi out now too (obviously lacking the alcohol). I’m not big into soda as a rule, but I like this Pepsi quite a bit.
Had my 1st can of Nitro regular Pepsi yesterday. I do like it. I have a can of Nitro Vanilla Pepsi queued up for a later trail. :D

( I wonder what a Cuba Libre w/ Nitro Pepsi would taste like. :thinking: )

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #91,822 of 155,112
I wonder if all these tasty beverages make our HiFi sound better?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2031886/

Oops! I guess not!
An interesting read. I went for a hearing test not long ago and after helping the young female audiologist untangle some headphone cables we had a long conversation about audio and headphones. I soon became a guinea pig for some new devices she was considering carrying. I can adjust them for my hearing in the morning and throughout the day but evenings were different after a couple drinks. I can adjust frequency spectrum by using test tones and a smart phone or computer. I can see a chart showing how I adjusted specific frequencies. I drink no alcohol during the day since I am constantly working with table saws and such (wearing plenty of ear protection.)

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #91,823 of 155,112
Lol, I am trying to change over to light beer to lose some weight. I cannot fathom drinking something like Coors light. I am trying Amstel Light and Flight by Yuengling. I am open to recommendations. :beerchug:
When I drink "standard" beers I like New Glarus Spotted Cow, most anything Hacker-Pschorr and Newcastle Nut Brown Ale (before the US sold version was changed a few years ago) for reference. I don't bother with anything mainstream called light. I don't really care for Corona (Extra or Light), however, I really like the flavor of Corona Premier, the one with 2.6carbs/90cal. It reminds me of decent beer flavor and satisfies my taste for beer. Try at your own peril!

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #91,824 of 155,112
When I drink "standard" beers I like New Glarus Spotted Cow, most anything Hacker-Pschorr and Newcastle Nut Brown Ale (before the US sold version was changed a few years ago) for reference. I don't bother with anything mainstream called light. I don't really care for Corona (Extra or Light), however, I really like the flavor of Corona Premier, the one with 2.6carbs/90cal. It reminds me of decent beer flavor and satisfies my taste for beer. Try at your own peril!
I generally do craft beers like Upland and Three Floyds in this area. Taxman is another, they make some Belgian style ales that will get your attention. Then there are the usual types:

ABF3550D-6B8A-499B-A748-B663A19389E0.jpeg

As far as unusual beer I have tasted two different brews of this beer.

https://onlineliquor.com/products/s...0QVUB7gSVduSAI4huIiqPqtv9E_N1vnhoCr8AQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #91,825 of 155,112
I do love me some Chimay. :)

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #91,827 of 155,112
Im finding its just as to easy to drink 2 guinness a night as it is 4 miller lites or budweisers. Ive been trying to figure out why I drink less of it.. I'm thinking/guessing a lot of it has to do with what taste buds react to guinness vs miller lite. I drink most macro lagers like water or soda pop. Guinness gets drank more like coffee. No gulping. I've mostly given up soda in favor of NA Beer. St Paulis NA is often enjoyed with lunch in place of soda.
Some of the "new" craft non-alcoholic beers are decent. Athletic Brewing and Partake (Canada) have some nice beers. Are they like the "real" thing? Well...no, but some come pretty damn close. Being a recovering alcoholic, it's the best option I have! The NA beers typically are low calorie too. Wish I could try some of the Scotch suggestions on here, but it's a rabbit hole I no longer care to go down. I'll live vicariously through you all :)

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #91,828 of 155,112
Lol, I am trying to change over to light beer to lose some weight. I cannot fathom drinking something like Coors light. I am trying Amstel Light and Flight by Yuengling. I am open to recommendations. :beerchug:
Dogfish Head’s Slightly Mighty is a pretty palatable low cal/low carb IPA that I’ve taken to drinking, while also trying to shed a few pounds.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #91,829 of 155,112
Some of the "new" craft non-alcoholic beers are decent. Athletic Brewing and Partake (Canada) have some nice beers. Are they like the "real" thing? Well...no, but some come pretty damn close. Being a recovering alcoholic, it's the best option I have! The NA beers typically are low calorie too. Wish I could try some of the Scotch suggestions on here, but it's a rabbit hole I no longer care to go down. I'll live vicariously through you all :)

Stay the course my friend. German brewed NAs still have the best flavor IMO, and the ones I buy follow the strict German purity laws for beer. Barley, Hops, Yeast, Water.

I believe there is NA Whiskey out there, but its very new and very niche. Not sure where to find it.

I am also finding that coffee and dark chocolate is full of complexity and nuance like whiskey is, without the alcohol.

Oh, and BBQ of course. Cant forget that.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #91,830 of 155,112

My dad was an alcoholic. Me, I don't drink at all, and I didn't inherit an alcoholism gene. I'm thankful every day for that. So, while I know it's not always easy, stay the course. You're better off in the long run. 😃

Though, on this forum, I'd worry first about my sanity, before anything else. It's crazy around here...! 😵‍💫

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back