Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 8, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #90,721 of 150,705
I’m from Texas and my most recent time living in the US was in Texas but I currently live in Japan.

Edit: I just leave my location as Texas because people make too many assumptions if I change it.
Maybe now we know you are in Japan, and an ex-Texan, we can find out if Japanese BBQ is better than Texan BBQ (or NC BBQ if you have any experience)

:)

Edit : Too much Schiit Talk in the last few pages. What's all this Tyr Schitt?? Needed to bring it back to topic :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #90,722 of 150,705

>snip<

The airlines' practice makes some sense, even though it's infuriating. Most people don't want the hassle of connecting flights and lay-overs, so they charge more for the premium route/ service. You want cheap, prepare to spend the whole day in airports and on airplanes.

>snip<
Some may remember Bruce Williams, radio personality. He traveled a lot and liked to promote the "hidden cities" money-saving way to fly. Say you wanted to fly from Los Angeles to Nashville. You compared prices of tickets direct, but also prices of tickets from LA to NY, or Washington, DC, Miami, etc. that had a layover in Nashville. Sometimes the cheaper ticket was a flight from LA to far away, and you just got off the plane in Nashville.
There were issues like luggage, and incurring the wrath of the airlines.
Last I heard 20 or so years ago, the airlines had not stopped him. My Local Radio station dropped his show about then.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #90,723 of 150,705
Maybe now we know you are in Japan, and an ex-Texan, we can find out if Japanese BBQ is better than Texan BBQ (or NC BBQ if you have any experience)

:)

Edit : Too much Schiit Talk in the last few pages. What's all this Tyr Schitt?? Needed to bring it back to topic :wink:
First of all, no such thing as an ex-Texan. We operate on the blood in, blood out policy.

I’d rank Texas style BBQ above Japanese BBQ. Hard to beat the level of animals that died to make one meal.

I also lived in Virginia for a little over 3 years and only went down to NC to have BBQ once and got food poisoning. Fool me once, but you won’t fool me twice.

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #90,725 of 150,705
Some may remember Bruce Williams, radio personality. He traveled a lot and liked to promote the "hidden cities" money-saving way to fly. Say you wanted to fly from Los Angeles to Nashville. You compared prices of tickets direct, but also prices of tickets from LA to NY, or Washington, DC, Miami, etc. that had a layover in Nashville. Sometimes the cheaper ticket was a flight from LA to far away, and you just got off the plane in Nashville.
There were issues like luggage, and incurring the wrath of the airlines.
Last I heard 20 or so years ago, the airlines had not stopped him. My Local Radio station dropped his show about then.
Wouldn’t surprise me. Riddle me this. Why is it cheaper for me to mail stuff from Japan to Canada than from the US to Canada? I was going to mail a package to Canada using 6-8 day air mail and it was $9 through Japan Post. Same package through USPS was $33 for 2-3 day to the border. No idea how long it would have taken after the border.

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #90,726 of 150,705
The Tyrs have been lit for an hour - first impressions
Loki Max is bypassed; streaming local and Tidal content via the Aries G1 -> AES/EBU to Yggy -> balanced to the LA4 -> balanced to the Tyrs

1. The B&Ws were giving mono Vidars a workout in the low bass.
    1. Tyr takes zero Schiit from these speakers; damping factor seems infinite
    2. I can probably move the speakers a half-cabinet width wider; the bass authority is just... sick
  2. Listening to Sara K's "No Cover" 96/24 from the local drive; clarity and soundstage is simply stunning
    1. I am hearing things that I have never heard before in this music that I know so well, from this system that I know so very well...
  3. Zero strain. I mean, ZERO STRAIN. Right amp is ~90F, left is ~88F at the heat sinks... how can this be?
    1. The Vidars ran 10-15F hotter at these volume levels
  4. The sense of air in this (fine!) recording - Sara K's "Hobo" - is almost eerie...
    1. The guitar picking at the start of "I Couldn't Change Your Mind" is coming from next door...
    2. Soundstage is 1.5x wider than before
    3. Soundstage is 2x deeper. It's like the room is twice as big... no, I'm serious. I'm not high or drunk (yet)
      1. But this calls for a great Oakville Cab! HA! I have many, and I have a late start tomorrow (07h00)
  5. Same album - the harmonica on "Sizzlin'" is in the room, slightly stage right, hovering at about 4'... what in the effin F?!?
  6. Sarah McLachlan, "Surfacing" - 44.1/16 local FLAC rip - her piano... is no longer missing a half-octave at the bottom. Thank you, @Jason Stoddard; I think that I can do without the sub now...
    1. I can hear the damper hit the snubbers when she releases the pedal
      1. No, actually I can feel it
    2. The soundstage in "Full of Grace" is wider than the room...
    3. Her self-harmony sounds like multiple people instead of a tape overdub
  7. THE INFAMOUS "OFF-AXIS" TEST
    1. Way off axis... upstairs in a different room
    2. Simply a smaller version of the presentation you hear when sitting in front of the speakers...
      1. Did I mention the ease in the bass registers? Holee Schiit.
  8. I know that these amps were burned in for a couple of days in Santa Clarita, but over the last hour, they have audibly "matured"
    1. I know that people doubt this effect. I say "eff 'em" - it's real
  9. Tool? Is it time for Tool? Hmmmmmm. Not yet.
  10. OK, more later. This is really, really way more goodness than I ever expected this early in. Thanks Schiit Peeps!
Thanks for sharing. Try with some electronic stuff and let us know too. Tip: Spiral from Darkside; not only electronic and some poppy sounds too in it.

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #90,727 of 150,705
I’d rank Texas style BBQ above Japanese BBQ.
In the culinary world, "barbeque" (BBQ) is low heat slow cooking, and "grilling" is high heat fast cooking on a grill. What Americans call Japanese (or Korean) "BBQ" is actually grilling. It doesn't make sense to rank different methods of cooking. It would be like asking whether a grilled steak is better than a BBQ brisket.

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #90,728 of 150,705
In the culinary world, "barbeque" (BBQ) is low heat slow cooking, and "grilling" is high heat fast cooking on a grill. What Americans call Japanese (or Korean) "BBQ" is actually grilling. It doesn't make sense to rank different methods of cooking. It would be like asking whether a grilled steak is better than a BBQ brisket.
I’m aware what the he was referring to isn’t BBQ but I understood what he was talking about. While both aren’t BBQ you can still rank them. By the way, 1 vote for brisket.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #90,729 of 150,705
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #90,730 of 150,705
I know you're deliberately being a little facetious, but I'm still really grateful that you sold them to me. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I love the way they sound. They've been in my Freya since I got them, and I suspect they'll only get a break when Jason's new versions come out. Seriously, I really think they're just that good.
Not facetious, just playful. I am happy I sold you the LISST's because you are getting so much enjoyment from them, and that is what our hobby is all about. :smiley_cat:

Apr 8, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #90,731 of 150,705
Excellent pile of schiit!
Now we want to see it all, also the non schiit stuff :)
Well, actually… Apart from the KEF speakers, the LG TV, a hidden-away Apple TV, and the pictured Mac mini, there's no non-Schiit stuff in my system (anymore)… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not facetious, just playful. I am happy I sold you the LISST's because you are getting so much enjoyment from them, and that is what our hobby is all about. :smiley_cat:
Word!

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #90,732 of 150,705
Well, actually… Apart from the KEF speakers, the LG TV, a hidden-away Apple TV, and the pictured Mac mini, there's no non-Schiit stuff in my system (anymore)… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Word!
I need to try the OG Lissts in a Freya + myself then hopefully try the new versions Jason offered to send.

I will be redoing my audio rack design to allow for three tube-type power amps, most likely an additional pre-amp, another DAC, and more space for headphone amps.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #90,734 of 150,705
I had a pair of those amps back in the late 70's. I always reflect and lament on all the fabulous sounding gear I owned and sold in decades past. The matching tubed preamp and tuner with scope were drool worthy as well. That entire Marantz package lived with me a long time.
That must have been something to behold! Any favorite speakers from that set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back