Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 2, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #90,496 of 152,776
I do not think your collection is any more weird than @bcowen's collection... :smirk:
Those cars are much too nice for Cowen’s tastes. Got any made from straw?😁

Apr 2, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #90,497 of 152,776
AudioGal Said: During restoration I replace more carbon comp resistors and bumblebee paper capacitors than I ever do tubes. >>>>>
bcowen: Paladin 79 could be using paper for his very generous gifts to you. You get cardboard at no additional cost and P79 never complains!!!
I once wrapped a tube tester in paper and shipped it to him, he returned the device in cardboard, go figure.😜

We can say most anything about Cowen right now, Duke and NC are playing at this time. Different shades of blue.😁

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #90,498 of 152,776
I keep thinking Sonus Faber but I could not find a $10k match lol. I counted 14 speakers in my downstairs the other day so I really need to sell some to make room.
Me, too. I have 3 kinds of Vienna Acoustics, a bunch of Cambridge Audio Minx 1Xs/2Xs, a Totem Tribe II, another bunch of T+A TLR10/20, and the Janszens.
10 subwoofers from SVS, TBI Magellan, T+A (to match the minis), REL, Velodyne, CA and OSD. Home theater and good bass really does a job on speaker count (3 different rooms). I've heard a bunch more (Legacy, SF, GoldenEar, T&F Sun).

I think maybe it's an obsession. I do have room for more, though ....

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #90,499 of 152,776
If arrays float your boat then I'm sure either of those would do the trick. Me, I prefer omnidirectional systems and if we're talking needing a new house to listen to them (and cost no object) I'll go for MBL 101 X-tremes with all MBL electronics driving them. By far the finest sound I have ever experienced from a home-audio system.
That is my lottery system. I'll let you visit after I win :-D

I'm also trying to figure out if crossover-less speakers are a design I want to investigate.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #90,500 of 152,776
I think in Jason's situation, he is talking about making /debugging multiple prototypes using different topologies, etc. based on currently available parts and placing orders for key components when the prototypes are only 60% complete.
Sure, I do the same in product development, just in software. Cloud-based prototypes, linux standalone prototypes, MacOS prototypes, redis, kubernetes, mongo, PostgreSQL, mysql, golang, javascript (blech), python.
Always more choices and tradeoffs than a stick could be shaken at. Maybe I'm using the stick wrong?

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #90,501 of 152,776
For speakers I generally just use Canare 4S11 at 11AWG but I may well change that out when I go to my dream system. I may even braid my own. How difficult can it be?
1648904957474.png
I have done this, and while its not actually difficult per se, it does require space and the patience of a saint. I clamped the ends of 5 meters of cables to a joist in my shed and then slowly braided the cables together, with the untangling taking more time by far than the actual braiding.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #90,502 of 152,776
I once wrapped a tube tester in paper and shipped it to him, he returned the device in cardboard, go figure.😜

We can say most anything about Cowen right now, Duke and NC are playing right now. Different shades of blue.😁
How that tester arrived here in one piece I'll never know. You must be charmed. :laughing:

@Ripper2860 's attempts to jinx the 'Heels didn't work. Now my younger sister will have to figure out who she's gonna root for -- she's lived in Kansas for the last 20 years, but went to Carolina.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #90,503 of 152,776
AudioGal Said: During restoration I replace more carbon comp resistors and bumblebee paper capacitors than I ever do tubes. >>>>>
bcowen: Paladin 79 could be using paper for his very generous gifts to you. You get cardboard at no additional cost and P79 never complains!!!
Oh yes he does. Constantly. But I *do* like the new nickname: P79. I think that'll stick. 🤣🤣

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #90,504 of 152,776
Apr 3, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #90,505 of 152,776
Well, schiit, I am pursuing my second hobby this wekend and sitting at the craft brewery which opened near my observatory. The owner invites food trucks. Tonight's food truck offers only crawfish. That's a pretty social dinner and since I'm by myself I don't feel like peeling my dinner.

Before you other Texans get your pitchforks and light your torches, I am sitting nearly a half mile NORTH of I10, so this post is not cultural armageddon.
I don't know, anyone not willing to just about anything to eat some tasty crawfish should probably just call it quits all together.

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #90,506 of 152,776
debugging multiple prototypes using different topologies
Im not much but of a hardware guy but Im totally curious if the term debugging is used a lot in the hardware world.

Apr 3, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #90,510 of 152,776
For speakers I generally just use Canare 4S11 at 11AWG but I may well change that out when I go to my dream system. I may even braid my own. How difficult can it be?
I bi-wired my Sonus Fabers with Blue Jean Cables Canare 4S11 Cable and it looks like this. BJ tack welds the wire to the expandable banana connectors. Easy-peezy for me!
I took the first photo and modified it with MS paint program so I wouldn't have to think about what wire goes where when / if I take them off and then try to remember which ones go where, LOL.

Pretty reasonable prices at BJ:

1648983581467.png

1648982814099.png

1648982814132.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back