Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 31, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #90,361 of 153,430
Feels like there's some mix of accountability-aversion, selective memory lapses, and a pinch of unusually pervasive risk-avoidance going around everywhere you look…
Oh yes...

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #90,362 of 153,430
I made a 3-wire braid out of Kimber TCSS as a headphone cable for my AKG 702’s and easily heard more detail than the stock cable.

The only downside is from the 702’s themselves. They sound good but they’re too dammed heavy! After an hour of listening my scalp gets irritated.
perhaps the bumps on the headband underside are causing the wearing discomfort? K702's are pretty lightweight for over-the-ear cans (just look at weights for Audeze, Abyss, etc.). On my pair (a made in Austria c. 2012 mfg date), the thin black elastic wires have stretched out, so they don't float / auto-adjust as when new (despite being stored off the two black metal headband spring wires, not off the headband pad).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #90,363 of 153,430
After this amount of time it is the capacitors I would be concerned about. Maybe early 80's construction? 40 years is a long time. I would offer to help but shipping those beasts around the country would not be easy lol. I can remember the power transformer being delivered in a separate box because with it, the weight was over what UPS would handle at the time. :ksc75smile:
Thanks for the info and offer to help. They are relatively heavy, but light weights compared to the amps I built from scratch. The mosfet monoblocks are 3ft tall and weigh ~240 lbs each🥵🔥. I had to go for a cooler set up and switched to a VTL amp with 8 6550 output tubes.

Also have a bunch of Hafler kits I built. Think I'll leave them in the closet for now. Those were good times.

Thanks,
barondla

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #90,364 of 153,430
+1 about the capacitors which have been sitting for a long while and not advisable to just power them up. it might be possible to stabilize the capacitors to make them usable (albeit with reduced performance) by re-forming the dielectric oxide layer, but that requires a variac / variable bench power supply and suitable ballast resistors (best to find a competent electronics technician with the proper equipment if you are not familiar with this process.
Thanks for the info. I don't own a Variac, but a friend does. Perhaps when I retire someday.
Thanks,
barondla

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #90,365 of 153,430
Thanks for the info and offer to help. They are relatively heavy, but light weights compared to the amps I built from scratch. The mosfet monoblocks are 3ft tall and weigh ~240 lbs each🥵🔥. I had to go for a cooler set up and switched to a VTL amp with 8 6550 output tubes.

Also have a bunch of Hafler kits I built. Think I'll leave them in the closet for now. Those were good times.

Thanks,
barondla
Yikes, I am reminded of a gentleman down South who collected civil war cannon balls, until the floor in his closet collapsed.😜

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #90,366 of 153,430
I have a silver-plated cable that sounds brighter and clearer to me, but is not as good with bass as my other two copper cables.
Interesting. I use a lot of silver plated copper since the silver is less prone to oxidation. Pure silver should really sound bright.😁

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #90,368 of 153,430
Does oxidation affect the sound of a cable at all?
That is not easy to answer lol, the silver probably has more to do with maintaining a very good solder joint when the wire is in circuit, I use it in my amp building. I have seen the wire inside of tube pins that will not take solder until they are cleaned with rosin flux, the solder can be all around the wires yet a good connection is not made. Silver tends to tarnish, gold less so but silver is a better conductor. As best I know too, the silver on the outside of wire makes little difference till you reach 100k or so, then skin effect causes the signal to flow on the outside of the wire. That is why I believe, and my testing would verify, you can hear more difference in solid silver than solid copper.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #90,369 of 153,430
And now for something completely different. I sure do miss E.S.T. :frowning2:

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #90,371 of 153,430

Oh wow...That was soul stirringly beautiful. As some one without any talent what so ever, I very much appreciate and enjoy those who do have the gift. Thank you so very, very much! I do meant that. Jazz is my favorite music. I shall leave now to do a search for their music on vinyl and/or CD. Thank you again. Just, wow.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #90,372 of 153,430

A friend in Sweden turned me on to them a while back. Great stuff, sad ending…

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #90,373 of 153,430
The balanced out on the Jot 2 sounds very different to the SE.

And every balanced headphone cable that I've tried has sounded slightly different to me. Emphasis on the "slight." The thing is, I listen so much that slight differences make a big impact in my case.
The balanced out on my Jot 1 sounds very different to me than the SE output, too.

Agreed though that the difference in sound between balanced and SE headphone connections will only be apparent if a myriad of other potential differences are normalized first...

Wait, have I been drinking? #meaculpa

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #90,374 of 153,430
Thanks. I’ll do the same as my ordering finger got very heavy last night. Happy Tyrsday to me.
I find that the weight of my ordering finger is influenced dramatically by my alcohol consumption... could there be a correlation? Hmmmm... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back