Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #89,431 of 150,687
Sorry, ORT - no externally visible glow. They do get pretty warm, though... :)

LISST_01.jpegLISST_02.jpeg
Do they have a .... er ... ah ...

'flavor'

(ducking).

Actually I just wanted to say, thanks, I think this is the first time I can actually see the symbols on a Freya even though I use one every day.

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #89,432 of 150,687
Let's see, a traditional Chinese business person, serving tea, being very polite, respectful

VS

Jason and Mike

What could possibly go wrong?
That's a fun image, but I think it's probably what xuan87 said a few pages back, there's no slack production capacity.

As tubeophiles probably know far better than I do, there's been something going on since circa 2015 called the Great British Valve Project, which seeks to restore Brimar tube production. COVID had an impact, but apparently some progress is being made. Would be wonderful if this effort is able to really ramp up to full production status.

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #89,433 of 150,687
Thanks, all, for the live album recommendations. I've already checked out a few on Qobuz and my world has expanded. Thanks!

Here's my submission for favorite (at the moment) live album: Eva Cassidy - Live At Blues Alley.
+1 for Live at Blues Alley @brooksgraham
Eva had a beautiful, pure voice and this is a fantastic recording.
The album ‘Night Bird’ has even more material from that concert.
My wife bought the CD for me a few years ago.
It is brilliant!
https://www.discogs.com/master/923496-Eva-Cassidy-Nightbird

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #89,435 of 150,687
Sad to see that many of those artists have left us recently.
Indeed. Chick Corea, Charlie Haden, Paul Bley, Roy Hargrove... The first 3 opened my ears to modern jazz back in the 70s, and I was very fortunate to hear them live multiple times until not long before their untimely departures. Haden's passing was especially sad for me, I was in the audience for the 1971 Cascais concert described here and continued to listen to him recorded and live as much as I could. There's another live album let by Haden that is not so well known but so worth it to catch him at his most spontaneous and expansive, The Private Collection.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #89,436 of 150,687
Indeed. Chick Corea, Charlie Haden, Paul Bley, Roy Hargrove... The first 3 opened my ears to modern jazz back in the 70s, and I was very fortunate to hear them live multiple times until not long before their untimely departures. Haden's passing was especially sad for me, I was in the audience for the 1971 Cascais concert described here and continued to listen to him recorded and live as much as I could. There's another live album let by Haden that is not so well known but so worth it to catch him at his most spontaneous and expansive, The Private Collection.
That reminds me, Charlie Haden/Jim Hall is a great live album too. Plus there's two cats on the cover which gets us back to the sine wave.

Mar 13, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #89,437 of 150,687
Charles Lloyd's Forest Flower fits perfectly on two sides of an LP.

Also it's accessible to newbs like me.
I really enjoyed his recent work with Lucinda Williams (I have all her albums and saw her live)

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #89,440 of 150,687
Mar 13, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #89,441 of 150,687
Do they have a .... er ... ah ...

'flavor'
The nose features notes of dark cherry, plum, and a mix of rolling stone fruit, which has a smoky transition to bramble, orange, and cranberry. For its palate, expect a salvo of dark chocolate, tobacco, and cocoa that builds to a fruit-forward blend of plum, black cherry, and notes of espresso.

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #89,442 of 150,687
1647212220452.png

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #89,443 of 150,687
That reminds me, Charlie Haden/Jim Hall is a great live album too. Plus there's two cats on the cover which gets us back to the sine wave.
Only if you post the cover art...

The nose features notes of dark cherry, plum, and a mix of rolling stone fruit, which has a smoky transition to bramble, orange, and cranberry. For its palate, expect a salvo of dark chocolate, tobacco, and cocoa that builds to a fruit-forward blend of plum, black cherry, and notes of espresso.
You had me up until, "...notes of espresso". I can't abide coffee in my tubes. Even ersatz tubes.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #89,444 of 150,687
+1 for Live at Blues Alley @brooksgraham
Eva had a beautiful, pure voice and this is a fantastic recording.
The album ‘Night Bird’ has even more material from that concert.
My wife bought the CD for me a few years ago.
It is brilliant!
https://www.discogs.com/master/923496-Eva-Cassidy-Nightbird
And I bought that CD last year on your recommendation. Thanks!

Tal Wilkenfeld derails me. Such a monster bass player, and such a cutie...! 😍
One of the highlights for me was after she finished her solo and Beck absolutely looked like a proud father.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back