Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #89,416 of 153,161
Jeff Beck Performing Live at Ronnie Scott's almost derailed this thread.

Put it in a Loki cabinet: four flavors...
Put it in a Lokius cabinet: six flavors...
Put it in a Loki Max cabinet: remote and presets...
Haha brother this thread is in a state of permanent derail. Since you all are speaking of live albums, there's a couple of very new albums that are well done. I didn't get into live recordings until I got into 2-channel loudspakers

Bob James-Feel like making Live-this is really well recorded piano jazz

Bob Weir and the Wolfpack-Live in Colorado-I'm not a particularly huge fan of his voice but it does have really good soundstage and imaging

The Wonderful World of Louis Armstrong All Stars-A Gift to Pops- this isn't a live album but it did just come out late last year. It's a very well done studio album and the bass is so good, maybe even a little boosted. The soundstage and imaging is absolutely some of the best I've heard.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #89,417 of 153,161
I'll report it to the mods. Hopefully they can get us back off track. :laughing:

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #89,418 of 153,161
... a few more live jazz albums from the last 20 years for your enjoyment

Bill Frisell/Thomas Morgan: Epistrophy
Charles Lloyd Quartet (Lloyd+Jason Moran+Reuben Rogers+Eric Harland): Rabo de Nube
Charlie Haden/Brad Mehldau: Long and Far Away
Chick Corea/Béla Fleck: Two
Christian McBride & Inside Straight: Live at the Village Vanguard
Dave Holland Quintet: Extended Play - Live at Birdland
Enrico Rava/Joe Lovano: Roma
Gerald Clayton: Happening - Live at the Village Vanguard
James Carter Organ Trio: Out of Nowhere
John Scofield: EnRoute
Pat Metheny: Side-Eye NYC
Roy Hargrove/Mulgrew Miller: In Harmony
Bill Frisell: East/West
Paul Bley: Play Blue - Oslo Concert
Wonderful list!! A few here that I have heard and simply were not top of mind. Some I have not heard and are now top of list for listening.

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #89,419 of 153,161
Mar 13, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #89,420 of 153,161
I would never want to mess with the curve, especially in today's tube crisis.
I did hunt for some of the CD's listed - most are quite rare and expensive, even to buy used. I did score the live Traffic and it's incoming ... cool, as they play with the Muscle Shoals rhythm section who are always good :)

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #89,421 of 153,161
Thanks, all, for the live album recommendations. I've already checked out a few on Qobuz and my world has expanded. Thanks!

Here's my submission for favorite (at the moment) live album: Eva Cassidy - Live At Blues Alley.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #89,423 of 153,161
I am so sorry you have lost your beloved Lab, @OldRoadToad.
I feel for you.
Before I met my wife, I had never owned a dog.
In the time we have been together- 34 years- we have owned, and lost, several lovely dogs.
All were cherished and are still remembered fondly.
It is heart breaking to lose one.
We have three small dogs now, two of which were rescued, and one we have had since he was a pup.
We also have a cat which my wife took in as a stray 18 months ago, as it was foraging for food in cold weather. We tried to find its owner but couldn't.
The cat has come with us 100 miles since our house move last May and has settled in well.
One of our dogs, has befriended the cat and looks out for her.
I think animals understand a lot more than we know...
Thank you. As Dr. Peter Venkman would say, "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!"
All of our dogs and cats have gotten along better than we do!

Again, thank you for your words, my friend.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #89,424 of 153,161
Thanks, all, for the live album recommendations. I've already checked out a few on Qobuz and my world has expanded. Thanks!

Here's my submission for favorite (at the moment) live album: Eva Cassidy - Live At Blues Alley.

Some more live performances, spanning the too-short career and tragic life of one of the most brilliant jazz pianists of all time, Bill Evans:
  • The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
  • At the Montreux Jazz Festival
  • The Paris Concert: Edition Two
He was very rarely recorded playing solo live, so you'll have to content yourself with his solo studio albums. Just the thing for listening in twilight with a nice bottle of Scotch. Better alone than with someone who has bad teeth, and really hates poetry.

If Wolfman Jack had played some of this stuff when I intently listened to XERB on a Willits ranch in the late '60s, my life would have been different.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #89,427 of 153,161
Mar 13, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #89,428 of 153,161
I know this is shallow even for me, but do the LISST devices have a "glow" to them? Just curiouser and curiouser...:beerchug:

Sorry, ORT - no externally visible glow. They do get pretty warm, though... :)

LISST_01.jpeg
LISST_02.jpeg

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #89,429 of 153,161
I have LISSTs in my Freya OG. I like the way they sound, a lot.
I may try some soon, just because some may become available. I will also try them in a non-Schiit amp or two. Warmth is not an issue for me, I run a lot of Class A amps so I am used to it.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #89,430 of 153,161
Some more live performances, spanning the too-short career and tragic life of one of the most brilliant jazz pianists of all time, Bill Evans:
  • The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
  • At the Montreux Jazz Festival
  • The Paris Concert: Edition Two
He was very rarely recorded playing solo live, so you'll have to content yourself with his solo studio albums. Just the thing for listening in twilight with a nice bottle of Scotch. Better alone than with someone who has bad teeth, and really hates poetry.

If Wolfman Jack had played some of this stuff when I intently listened to XERB on a Willits ranch in the late '60s, my life would have been different.
Charles Lloyd's Forest Flower fits perfectly on two sides of an LP.

Also it's accessible to newbs like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back