Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #89,343 of 153,600
Why two tubes?
Before the days of dual triode there were single triode tubes. Each of those equals one half of a dual triode and I suppose they have less internal shielding that is needed in dual triodes to prevent crosstalk. I have not done a study on it but I would think dual triodes were less costly to manufacture and took up less space and eliminated the need for one more socket.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #89,344 of 153,600
Orange. Orange LED. Red is a bit scary with tubes, even if they're not really tubes. Pavlov's dogs and all for old timers. 🤣
IMG_0753.jpg

Orange LED's used here.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #89,345 of 153,600
I really like the new-production Chinese tubes, especially those from Psvane.
Oh, absolutely. In terms of sound signature, their CV181-TII is my favorite 6SN7 compatible tube.

But oh my god, do they have quality assurance issues! It might just be my luck of the draw, but for the past two years or so, pretty much two thirds of the Psvane tubes I bought had an issue with either unacceptably loud hiss, with microphonics, or just sub-par fit and finish.

They sound great, but they're a little too expensive to play the old Quality Lottery game.

Incidentally, I've been having a similar experience with Genalex recently. Their E88CC Gold Lions are my go-to tube for Mjolnir, nothing else comes even close. (Well, apart from Lisst, honestly.) But of the three pairs I bought last year, one tube was hissy as heck, and two others died on me prematurely. I've never had any issues with Genalex before.
Could be my Mjolnir that's killing them, I don't know.
But subjectively, from where I am sitting, it feels like the only new stock tube brand that has remained reliable is JJ. But they just don't sound all that nice, if you ask me.
(Their gold pin ECC88 sound ok, and are great value for money, but the normal ECC88 sound "meh" at best.)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #89,346 of 153,600
Doesn't McIntosh put green LEDs in the tube sockets of their amps? And if the tube goes bad the LED turns red.
Green! Green! Green! Toadish greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen! In all honesty Green followed by red are my favourite colours (spelt this way to add a touch of class via association with a "British" accent!

I am such a...Well. A toad.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #89,348 of 153,600
We just lost our 16+ year old Labrador. He was a good pet and friend to our son and to me, for that matter he was to all our family. Here in this state we are not allowed to be with a pet when it is euthanized. So...I took all of my saved money and paid for our dog to pass at home with his family. He is worth it and more. Like my mom taught me, there is a reason God spelled backwards is dog.

All dogs go to heaven. I will never make it but I was there to watch him complete that journey. And yes, kittehs make it too. We have lost more than a few felines. My spousal unit is sooooo comforting at these times. "No more pets, as it is too hard to watch them go." And when I pass? "No more husbands. This one was useless and I don't want to risk that again." What ever...:L3000:

I will begin saving again for the integrated amp.

Still want either the LSA VT-70 or that cool integrated Decware model.

In all ways and for always, be well. All of you.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #89,349 of 153,600
Would have to be named 'The ORT Limited Edition LISST'
Now this splendid idea (!) along with Paladin's ORT Gandalf are probably the coolest stuff since Schiit started! As Elvis would say..."Thankyou! Thankyerveruhmuch"! Whilst I doubt veruhmuch that he reads my stuff, I doubt Jason will ever do this. Like Jedi, there are so few toads left to buy cool Schiit. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #89,350 of 153,600
I'm sorry for your loss, ORT.
Thank you, my friend. I sent my son a text that the forum had passed on their condolences and I suspect once he stops crying, he will drop in for a visit here at the Lair of The Toad and will show them to him.

It is a cool sounding name for one of the two rooms I am "allowed" by my loving spousal unit to reside in. Music and movies are not her cup o' iced tea. :beerchug:

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #89,351 of 153,600
Ashamed to say that I don't know the album 'Waiting for Columbus' !
I'll put that right this evening...

Last year, over a few beers in a pub, a friend and I pondered the 'best' live albums.
What it really came down to, was our favourite live albums.
I think that many live albums are simply worse- sounding versions of the original studio albums.
However, a few that I really like, include:

Live and Dangerous Lizzy
Made in Japan Deep Purple
Live at Leeds The Who
Live Cream Vol II Cream
Live: The Road Goes Ever On Mountain
At Fillmore East Allman Bros
Get Yer Ya Ya's Out Stones
Free Live Free
Performance Rockin' The Fillmore Humble Pie
Live Rust Neil Young
Blues Alive Gary Moore
Live in Boston Fleetwood Mac
Unplugged EC

Not all of these albums have great recording quality, but what they do have ( in my opinion) are performances of tracks which are at least as good as the studio versions.
Edgar Winters White Trash Roadwork is a killer live album.

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #89,352 of 153,600
Jazz gotta represent...

Yellowjackets - Mint Jam

Brad Mehldau Trio - Live

👍

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #89,354 of 153,600
That is a great list - I'll be on the hunt for some of these today. Also the live Pat Metheny.
I'd like to add Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's. Kicks ass.
How could I miss that Jeff Beck album off!!
Thanks for reminding me @RCBinTN :relaxed:
That must have been one of the gigs of the decade.
I am seeing Jeff at RAH in May and can't wait to see him again; it's been about 12 years....

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #89,355 of 153,600

One of my favorites, I will give credit to @Ripper2860 for mentioning this one to me a while back.

A favourite of mine too @Paladin79 :relaxed:
I love Nils!
I bought his huge 9CD box set called 'Face the Music' from the man himself after a gig at a small venue.
His live album called 'Nils Lofgren Band Live' is also excellent.
Worth having for 'Girl in Motion' alone, which is fantastic!
1647111181331.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back